D-day

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Absolutely agree.The vets get fewer in numbers, but will never be forgotten.Their stories, humbleness, bravery etc make them the true role models that we should all look up too. Many thanks to each and every one of em.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Good time to watch saving private Ryan, Opening scenes really brought it home to me incl the graveyard scene.

We really have no comprehension what they went through but I thank all of them from the bottom of my heart.

Heroes everyone of them.

D

Deleted member 15344

The utmost respect for all of them - have met a number of d day vets over the years and they are heroes

We will never forget

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I understand the D-Day vets are closing their Association as there numbers are now down to about 600. They will never be forgotten though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree with everything put here so far. I hope the day tomorrow marks it perfectly for those remaining and attending and that it is still remembered going forward. Its crucial the youth of today recognise the losses suffered on that day and throughout campaigns before and since have brought them the freedom they enjoy without question

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I understand the D-Day vets are closing their Association as there numbers are now down to about 600. They will never be forgotten though.

My late Father in Law was a Royal Marine on HMS Rodney when it engaged and sank the Bismarck. The Rodney Association wound up its annual reunion some time ago for a similar reason.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My late Father in Law was a Royal Marine on HMS Rodney when it engaged and sank the Bismarck. The Rodney Association wound up its annual reunion some time ago for a similar reason.
He must have been a very brave man, amongst other very brave men.

My father was a spitfire pilot, but never went to reunions as the majority of his mates were killed during the war. He flew photo reconnaissance in Mosquitos, and he only found out his best mate and navigator had been shot and killed when he landed. No wonder he never wanted to speak about the war.

Just so many heroes that should never be forgotten.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They were young Men and Boys who were a credit to us all and who we owe a great debt of gratitude. We should also remember our allies from the Commonwealth, USA and countries like Poland who also fought and died with them in the conflict.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My dads friend, from the same village, was killed on on the beaches day one.
He never talked about the war and I only found out where he went by a bit of research after after reading Tom Renolfs book Black Watch.
I know he was a sergeant and believe he was one of the first into Belsen.

My mother told me he threw his medals into the Firth of Forth.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Between 1995-1998 I took 3 yrs off from painting to obtain my PSV license and they got a job driving around the UK and Europe.

Got to do some cracking tours in the south of Europe but 3 tours that will stay with me for many a year were taking some D-Day Veterans along to the Normandy beach's.

Tours were 4 days each and I had the honour of walking beach's with them and listening to the sad but sometime funny story's.

One chap was telling me how he ran from the landing craft up the beach with, he said 20-25 others, total distance 40-50 yrs, he was the only one who made it unharmed. 6 others were alive but badly hurt. He could still recall all of the name of his fallen comrades and visits the beach to say sorry to them every year.

I said to him that I understand why he comes here but why does he feels he has to say sorry to his comrades ,he told me, with tears in his eyes ( to be honest by this time he wasn't the only one ) because he left them there and couldn't help them and he will never forgive himself for leaving them.

That was just one of many story's told but can say with hand of heart, not one of them didn't have me with tears in my eyes.

It was a great honour just to be with these fine and brave men and I for one will always remember.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not emotional about anything, but today, hearing the stories and seeing the television pictures of the veterans really hits home. I just well-up.

I'm immensely proud and grateful for what they and their fallen brothers have done.

It is said that those most humble make the most difference. Never, ever, forgotten.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There the reason why we can do and live like we can today. Ive met loads over the years whilst I was in and they are just a cut above! Like a few ales to boot bless em! :clap: