Customising Old Set of Irons

Boggle88

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Not sure if anything has been posted on this before but was wondering if anybody had customised there own irons. Ive watched a few videos and there are varies ways of customising irons in regards to refilling/repainting the lettering on the head and hard stamping. I want to refill the taylormade logo on my irons. after watching videos Im not sure what is best to use. some say nail varnish some say acrylic paint.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Get some paint stripper and apply it to the area you want to strip.

Leave for about 20 mins (I sometimes scratch the paint with a safety pin to rough it up)

Clean the area with nail varnish remover and let it dry

then choose your paint - I've used model paint and nail varnish

with nail varnish use the brush in the lid. With paint I use a fine artists paint brush

make sure you fill the whole area consistently and evenly.

Dont worry about going over the edges as you can clean it up with nail varnish or an ear bud.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have previously used the small tins of modellers enamel. Really good prep is the key. I used a very fine kids paintbrush (the sort of ones you find in packs in a pound shop) with the leading hairs trimmed to a very fine taper.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Acetone to strip out paint.

From experience don't use a brush, a toothpick/cocktail stock is far easier to use. Less likely to get air bubbles in the paint you apply and personally I find it easier to use.

Also if you go outside the area you are repainting don't worry. Let it dry and use a clean cloth with a touch of acetone on it and wipe very very gently until you remove the excess.

I'd do a few practice runs first.