Custom clubs

Borvad

Visit site
I'm 6'7" and for years have wanted to 'get into' golf but as a result of being challenged in the height dept I now know standard clubs arent for me.

I used to think I needed longer clubs, but now someone has informed me its the angles that need changed.

As dodgy as it may sound I heard someone say that the company Taylor-Made have a truck somewhere that goes round the country that I could pop in to see, but on probably a more serious suggestion, I've also been told Greaves Sports would do it.

Can anybody help with this and possibly other suggestions?

Thanks

T

thecraw

I assume your in or around the Glasgow area if you mention Greaves.

There are others around. World of Golf at Clydebank, American Golf in Bearsden and Newton Mearns, Playsport in EK etc.

A

Alex1975

You may need lie angle changed, you may need longer clubs (they just add a plug under the grip), you may not need any of those things. If you are buying new clubs it should cost you no more money to have a static fit (length/lie check) and its really easy to do.

They are interested in your hand to floor measurement as much as your hight.

This is all pretty simple stuff, make sure you are getting what you ask for.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
You may need lie angle changed, you may need longer clubs (they just add a plug under the grip), you may not need any of those things. If you are buying new clubs it should cost you no more money to have a static fit (length/lie check) and its really easy to do.

They are interested in your hand to floor measurement as much as your hight.

This is all pretty simple stuff, make sure you are getting what you ask for.

This post is a bit misleading IMHO.

'Plugs' (I think you mean extensions?) are only used if you are extending existing shafts/clubs - new sets would be cut to the right length rather than extended. For someone as tall as 6ft 7", I wouldn't bother with any place that does static or internet fitting - you need to be hitting different length clubs to find the correct weight, flex and length that allows you to hit the centre of the clubface consistently.

Fitters aren't interested in 'hand to floor' measurements either - 'wrist to floor' is what I think you mean and that's an important difference.

Beware of places that say "your xxxx tall, therefore you will need 1 inch longer clubs". Doesn't always work out like that!

A

Alex1975

This post is a bit misleading IMHO.

'Plugs' (I think you mean extensions?) are only used if you are extending existing shafts/clubs - new sets would be cut to the right length rather than extended. For someone as tall as 6ft 7", I wouldn't bother with any place that does static or internet fitting - you need to be hitting different length clubs to find the correct weight, flex and length that allows you to hit the centre of the clubface consistently.

Fitters aren't interested in 'hand to floor' measurements either - 'wrist to floor' is what I think you mean and that's an important difference.

Beware of places that say "your xxxx tall, therefore you will need 1 inch longer clubs". Doesn't always work out like that!

I have a friend to is very tall but because he has such loooooong arms he uses standard clubs and was close to them being actually shortened.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
article-0-0CF00576000005DC-440_468x577.jpg

he does indeed have long arms Alex ;)

Borvad

Visit site
okay been today and got measure up for a set of custom wilson irons.

turns out im nearly off the chart! need about 1.5" extra length and a 6 degree adjustment on the angle

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
okay been today and got measure up for a set of custom wilson irons.

turns out im nearly off the chart! need about 1.5" extra length and a 6 degree adjustment on the angle

That length doesn't surprise me. And a .5" change normally needs 2 degree lie change too.

I knew a Pro who needed +1.75, but he was 6'10"!

Borvad

Visit site
Thanks guys.

Whats this about Hybrid clubs?

When I was normal size and played a game or two with Dad when I was about 13 or 14 it was about woods, and possibly teeing-off with a 1I ........... now I hear something about you only really need irons from 5 upwards because the lower ones are covered by these Hybrid things??

Thanks