Crossfield lesson

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Following on from my birthday present thread... Today is my birthday (yay me).
I'm booked in for a 3hr "performance assessment" lesson with the man himself Mark Crossfield, on 15th. I'll feedback how it goes.
Anyone here had a lesson with Crossfield?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm booked in for a 3hr "performance assessment" lesson with the man himself Mark Crossfield, on 15th. I'll feedback how it goes.

3 hrs- what does that entail and how much does he charge for a half day?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Pokerjoke has. The lesson is on youtube. I am sure he will be along to tell you what he thought of it.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good luck mate, always thought it he was even in the wider Midlands I would be happy to drive past 20 odd pro's to use him.

Seems a decent bloke and wish I could play in a four ball with him Lockie and Rory... the rounds on Youtube I have seen hilarious

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Richarts right that Pokerjoke had a video lesson which went on utube, he spoke very highly of Mark Crossfield

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I have had a lesson with Mr Crossfield.
I only had an hour with Mark however it was money very well spent.
The good news is he is nothing like he is on his course vlogs.
He is very professional and has all the gadgets so he can show you the results.
Imo he keeps it relatively simple and the gadgets just put pictures on what hes saying.
3 hours is a very long time so if I was you I would make a plan and write down the things
you want to work on.
Initially he will ask you what you want to work on however that might change after he sees you
hit some shots.
I thought I was struggling with the driver but results showed it was my irons into greens,so
go in with an open mind.
Have a great 3 hours and let us know how you get on,he might even video the lesson.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback pokerjoke.

3 hrs is a long time, but it was only £20 more than 2hrs so I thought why not.

I'm going in with an open mind. I don't have a list of specifics particularly, I want him to tell me what I'm doing wrong!

A couple of things I will flag up to him, firstly I'm hitting a lot of thin shots, and barely taking a divot with irons. I suspect this means I'm coming in too shallow with these clubs, why I don't know. Secondly, I struggle to get my driver spin down and I'd like to understand why.

I really want to understand my impact conditions and why I hit the ball (or mis hit!) like I do. I'm hoping we can get into quite a bit of detail of this in the 3 hours to help me understand my game better.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Sweet, enjoy it. I think from all the you tube people he seems the best coach, have a great day.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback pokerjoke.

3 hrs is a long time, but it was only £20 more than 2hrs so I thought why not.

I'm going in with an open mind. I don't have a list of specifics particularly, I want him to tell me what I'm doing wrong!

A couple of things I will flag up to him, firstly I'm hitting a lot of thin shots, and barely taking a divot with irons. I suspect this means I'm coming in too shallow with these clubs, why I don't know. Secondly, I struggle to get my driver spin down and I'd like to understand why.

I really want to understand my impact conditions and why I hit the ball (or mis hit!) like I do. I'm hoping we can get into quite a bit of detail of this in the 3 hours to help me understand my game better.

No problem.
Definitely worth an extra £20 for the extra hour.
Im sure by the end you will understand and if you can take that forward it will be money
well spent.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
So he's charging £150 for 2 hours, Wow I wonder what he was charging before he discovered YouTube.

Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll be a good day.

You could argue that he has to make his money somehow and he has earned the right to do this from all the hard work he's done building up his internet presence. Plus he does seem to have a lot of expensive kit he uses when some coaches are still struggling to use V1 Golf. And utilising the internet, looking at filmed swings etc etc it something that a lot of other coaches should be looking at to enhance their 'face to face' lessons.

I think he's very clever as the filmed lessons he's now putting on there serve 2 purposes, 1 so people can get some tips if they suffer from the same issues (although I'd argue that that can be dangerous as everyone is different) and 2, they are basically an advert for his lessons so people can see how he does it and what results he gets. To me he seems to be very good at analysing issues and coming up with a solution, and not just trying to get golfers to hit all the 'text book' positions that some (but I admit not all) coaches seem to do. So fair play to the lad I say.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hope the lesson goes well. I would be looking to do coffee and snacks for 10 mins every hour to allow for a recharge and consolidation of the work.

Can't see an issue with the cost. His hourly rate has to cover salary, capex, pension, sickness and holidays (assuming he is self employed). For someone who is obviously pretty focused on getting results for his clients (plus being a minor celeb) that seems reasonable.

Everyone wants stuff to be cheap, but for something to be cheap, someone has to be paid peanuts...

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could argue that he has to make his money somehow and he has earned the right to do this from all the hard work he's done building up his internet presence. Plus he does seem to have a lot of expensive kit

Ive no doubt that he works hard but Building an internet presence wouldn't quite cut it for me.
I'd want to know his pedigree as an out and out Teaching pro/ coach, who's he's worked with & does he have a good reputation locally as a teaching pro.

No doubt he's got a talent for making videos but I'd want to know if he's got a track record for lowering handicaps, is the up and coming talent in the area knocking on his door etc.

He may be a great teaching pro, I don't know.. But having looked online Theres nothing to suggest he's built a reputation as one.

Last edited:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suppose it was fairly predictable that this would descend into a debate about the cost.
Personally I don't think it is that expensive really. Round here it's £35 for an hour with a decent but pretty average teaching pro, the top pro at the same place charges £70 an hour. For that you might get a bit of video analysis using an iPad, if you want to use their flightscope that'll cost you and extra £20 an hour. So 3 hours with a pro and a flightscope is looking like £165. These guys don't teach using the launch monitor all the time so are they going to get the best out of it? Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure a deal could be done for a 3hr block that would bring the cost down a bit, but you're still looking at well North of a hundred quid.

Is there a premium on crossfield's time for his "youtube celebrity" status, probably but to be honest I'm happy enough with that. I get loads of enjoyment out of his YouTube content and it hasn't cost me a bean. It's not like I'm going to be doing this every month, it's a birthday present and there wasn't anything else I want/need.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
the cost is competitive just looked at rick shiels and his charge is £66 a hour, you can get 3 hours (6x30mins and ball credit) for £185 at Trafford golf centre but not the main man at this price.