Criteria for introduction/removal of Preferred Lies

D-S

Visit site
As from 1st October we now have the option of introducing Preferred Lies for 'acceptable scores' under WHS, does your Club have any definable criteria for the introduction date or is it just opinion/gut feel or do you just introduce and remove them on the first and last date allowed?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I believe that we too go by date - not that it is a committee decision...it seems to be something that the greenkeeper decrees - even if the course is dry and lies are generally OK

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Since I have been at my current club the changeover has always been when the clocks change. Everyone knows where they stand when it is like that.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think it's as much a protection things vs condition. We will introduce them tomorrow even though our fairways have been in the best condition this year than in living memory.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We go by course conditions plus a reminder from me to the manager to introduce them some years.

Given this week is the first week we have had substantial rain I would not see the need for them yet.

For removal we normally go by date.

D-S

Visit site
I think it's as much a protection things vs condition. We will introduce them tomorrow even though our fairways have been in the best condition this year than in living memory.
The odd thing is that if you are looking to protect your fairways, introducing them later rather than sooner is the best way to go. Nothing worse than a player taking his ball from a scruffy lie and onto a pristine piece of grass and the proceeding to ruin the nice bit, leaving the scruffy bit untouched.

IanMcC

Visit site
We go lift, clean and place on closely mown areas only on 1st October. We go preferred lies everywhere and rake and place in bunkers after our last acceptable comp, which is a week later this year, in mid October. No acceptable comps then until 3rd week in March.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's daft! Give up winter golf because of a couple of measures intended to make your golf in winter more enjoyable? That's impressively perverse. :)

Yes but not at the end of September! Golf courses should invest in their courses to extend their ‘seasons’ at both ends - and golfers shouldn’t just accept that’s what it always is. Clubs should now be cash rich and need to invest….in their main asset….the golf course!!!!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
*** courses ASAP now….decent courses if it rains a bit on the odd day……

Why use fairway mats?
With temperatures providing little growth during the winter months these small bits of Astroturf help protect the turf from divot damage which would otherwise take until the summer to repair.

Maybe it's the other way round??? (Taken from the Old Course website).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes but not at the end of September! Golf courses should invest in their courses to extend their ‘seasons’ at both ends - and golfers shouldn’t just accept that’s what it always is. Clubs should now be cash rich and need to invest….in their main asset….the golf course!!!!
Just what should they be doing to their courses? What should they put this cash into?