The Cricket Thread

Grizzly

Visit site

I don't think it is about brushing anything under the carpet, I genuinely don't, I think it is instead a case of them having opened a massive can of worms by publicly admitting that the investigation was ongoing and thereby backing themselves into a corner. The report has clearly been conducted in a way which puts names to statements, which leaves potential for legal action for defamation, and of course there is also the issue of Rafiq's ongoing ET claim to consider. Its also interesting to note that *some* claims have been substantiated - though Rafiq seems desperate to control the media agenda in this regard and push the idea that all were - and there is also the potential where claims have been determined to be false that those accused might seek to pursue Rafiq for defamation. TLDR - its a giant sh1tstorm from which noone will win.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think it is about brushing anything under the carpet, I genuinely don't, I think it is instead a case of them having opened a massive can of worms by publicly admitting that the investigation was ongoing and thereby backing themselves into a corner. The report has clearly been conducted in a way which puts names to statements, which leaves potential for legal action for defamation, and of course there is also the issue of Rafiq's ongoing ET claim to consider. Its also interesting to note that *some* claims have been substantiated - though Rafiq seems desperate to control the media agenda in this regard and push the idea that all were - and there is also the potential where claims have been determined to be false that those accused might seek to pursue Rafiq for defamation. TLDR - its a giant sh1tstorm from which noone will win.

how can you want to put some blame on the guy who is the victim, who the report is about, who hasnt even been allowed to read the report? beggars belief

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have i missed some sort of rule that says either India or Australia must tour in some form every summer?

Getting bored of watching the same teams every year.

And yes, I know its all about the money.

Grizzly

Visit site
how can you want to put some blame on the guy who is the victim, who the report is about, who hasnt even been allowed to read the report? beggars belief

I wasn't aware I was. I was saying that his particular stance and what we know of the outcome make it more problematic to publish, with the possibility of litigation on all sides.

D

Deleted member 18588

Rightly or wrongly it will always be "all about the money" otherwise we would never have had the 'Undred foisted upon us.

Difficult to fill grounds these days for matches against many of the other Test nations and TV takes a similar view.

Personally I am with you and enjoy seeing a wider spread of touring opposition.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another member of the indian staff has tested positive for covid, their training this pm has been cancelled and theres rumours they may not play the test starting tomorrow, lets hope thats not true!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Harry Gurney thinks Tom Curran should have been in the T20 World Cup squad! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

So many people are hoodwinked by the Currans. With so many decent bowlers emerging in each format they shouldnt be anywhere near the England squads.

D

Deleted member 15344

Harry Gurney thinks Tom Curran should have been in the T20 World Cup squad! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

So many people are hoodwinked by the Currans. With so many decent bowlers emerging in each format they shouldnt be anywhere near the England squads.

Happy to see once again the Somerset boys being ignored ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Just the latest in a string of utter garbage from gurney, must be quiet in his pub again

If you want to talk about players missing out Id think Root and Parkinson probably most to complain about, no real surprise to see Silverwood go in at least 1 spinner light tho lol

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just the latest in a string of utter garbage from gurney, must be quiet in his pub again

If you want to talk about players missing out Id think Root and Parkinson probably most to complain about, no real surprise to see Silverwood go in at least 1 spinner light tho lol

Parkinson definitely. Someone like Jake Lintott might have been an interesting leftfield pick, particularly with the left-arm leg-spin variation.

Root was an easy one to leave out, time to give him a rest as England have plenty of firepower.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Parkinson definitely. Someone like Jake Lintott might have been an interesting leftfield pick, particularly with the left-arm leg-spin variation.

Root was an easy one to leave out, time to give him a rest as England have plenty of firepower.

Yeah i think most see it that way re Root, not so sure in the UAE and what are likely to be some very tired pitches as the comp progresses, might want to have that alternative option

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i see so called cricket journo Ben Jones was surprised Livingstone was picked ahead of Liam Dawson, how do some of them get a gig

why wouldnt they pick Livingstone? The guy's on fire.

Dawson i'm not so sure about. Not really sure what he adds that Parkinson wouldnt.

D

Deleted member 15344

Banton's almost now in no mans land. Seriously lost out through all the bubbles etc and no longer the next star having been eclipsed by Livingstone. Feel sorry for him.

Yep Banton has been ruined by England and their bubble - will be the same with Leach soon enough. It was the standard expected squad tbh -

D

Deleted member 18588

Agree with you re: Parkinson but not so certain about Root.

I know his T20 record isn't bad but I still wonder if he is capable of playing the "different" sort of knock that can be needed ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree with you re: Parkinson but not so certain about Root.

I know his T20 record isn't bad but I still wonder if he is capable of playing the "different" sort of knock that can be needed ?

not sure id be picking him in my first choice XI but think he may be a decent option to have in the camp especially as the pitches tire as the comp goes on, you may be right though

D

Deleted member 18588

not sure id be picking him in my first choice XI but think he may be a decent option to have in the camp especially as the pitches tire as the comp goes on, you may be right though

His time in the Leicestershire Premier League was enough to teach me to ignore Gurney's comments.