The Cricket Thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What England need to do is try and get some County Cricket between Test matches/series so the players can actually go out, spend some time in the middle and actually get some confidence back. It might also make the County scene better and develop other players and the County Championship would also be fairier as teams wouldn't be missing their stars for just about all the season!
Do you mean how cricket used to be? :)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
What England need to do is try and get some County Cricket between Test matches/series so the players can actually go out, spend some time in the middle and actually get some confidence back. It might also make the County scene better and develop other players and the County Championship would also be fairier as teams wouldn't be missing their stars for just about all the season!

It's fair idea, but the County scene today is now well down the ECB pecking order. It's effectively played at the beginning and end of the summer, on pitches that are prepared for results within four days. The irony is that one day pitches are nice and flat. The Kiwis made a special effort to have their grade pitches consistent and are reaping the benefits. Until the ECB address the County scene we are going to see more of the same for the next few years I believe.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I learnt a new word today... excellent.

this India team has shown that they can beat a good side with or without kohli. The Ind-Aus series was terrific esp when an Indian B team beat Aussies at home..

just for the record this is not a good side they have beaten, its one world class batsmen and a couple of decent bowlers (despite missing many through injury)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
just for the record this is not a good side they have beaten, its one world class batsmen and a couple of decent bowlers (despite missing many through injury)

One can only play the team that is on the field. Equally we can say, that India did not have Ashwin or Vihari, Sky etc. Neither was Rahane or Pujara in good nick. So does that mean Eng lost to an average side?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One can only play the team that is on the field. Equally we can say, that India did not have Ashwin or Vihari, Sky etc. Neither was Rahane or Pujara in good nick. So does that mean Eng lost to an average side?
India are currently better than average but we are average at best. India are much closer to being an excellent team than England but they are not excellent based on this series. We have way to many holes in our side currently.

At this moment there is no excellent team in test cricket, unlike in one day or 20:20, and that is not a rose tinted statement imo.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Its you that called England a good side, you cant then go to "can only beat whats on the field"

Personally, I would call this a decent India side considering they are away from home (theyre seam bowling options are so much better than always used to be) albeit theyve several top class batsmen out of nick/coming to the end and made a couple of very odd selection calls, especially Ashwin. They are more of a team and far less reliant on one or two individuals compared to the current England side, the big difference is India have a handful of batsmen capable of scoring big runs, England are reliant on one guy doing it (as well as missing the guy that provides a lot of their inspiration and balance!) For me India are clearly the second best test team currently behind New Zealand, and by far the best in their native conditions and likely to be the best side around in the years to come with the players they have available, are they currently a great team, no, not close

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
India are currently better than average but we are average at best. India are much closer to being an excellent team than England but they are not excellent based on this series. We have way to many holes in our side currently.

At this moment there is no excellent team in test cricket, unlike in one day or 20:20, and that is not a rose tinted statement imo.

Kiwis?

update: Just saw Fundy and I agree on kiwi being the better Test side..

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its you that called England a good side, you cant then go to "can only beat whats on the field"

Personally, I would call this a decent India side considering they are away from home (theyre seam bowling options are so much better than always used to be) albeit theyve several top class batsmen out of nick/coming to the end and made a couple of very odd selection calls, especially Ashwin. They are more of a team and far less reliant on one or two individuals compared to the current England side, the big difference is India have a handful of batsmen capable of scoring big runs, England are reliant on one guy doing it (as well as missing the guy that provides a lot of their inspiration and balance!) For me India are clearly the second best test team currently behind New Zealand, and by far the best in their native conditions and likely to be the best side around in the years to come with the players they have available, are they currently a great team, no, not close

apologies.. i just undersood the context.. point taken..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Kiwis?

update: Just saw Fundy and I agree on kiwi being the better Test side..
I have to hold my hands up here and say I don't follow them enough to know if they have stepped up from being a good team to an excellent team. Fair play to them if they have.

I know we played them earlier in the summer but it is hard to judge anything based on 2 tests, I seem to remember we had a fair number of players missing as well. I always like tests against NZ, I wish we gave them a decent series, not just a token 2 games.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
May be a stupid question but with the struggles in the second innings and with the Ashes (if it goes ahead) being a very long tour with no family or other contact, can anyone see Jimmy retiring in front of a home crowd at Old Trafford.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
May be a stupid question but with the struggles in the second innings and with the Ashes (if it goes ahead) being a very long tour with no family or other contact, can anyone see Jimmy retiring in front of a home crowd at Old Trafford.

Highly unlikely for me, think hes planning on another year or two whilst fit, but stranger things have happened. Expect theres more chance he doesnt play at OT

So we bring Buttler and Leach back for the final test - which one do we think will actually play and which will be preparing drinks again lol

You have to assume Buttler being back means he plays and they leave one of the batsmen out, not sure which tho? And why have they kept Lawrence in the squad rather than letting him go back to Essex when he clearly isnt going to play (its like the big sides are allowed their players back while the smaller counties arent).

Wood will surely play and you have to hope they actually pick a proper spinner which means 2 of the 4 quicks step down, expect that will purely be done on fitness/energy levels. Anderson/Robinson have both gone into the red a lot this series be surprised if both manage to back up here, every chance Woakes has a reaction to the last test having not played for such a long time. Overton the most obvious to miss out and he may even have to having taken a blow batting. That assumes they persist with Ali which i expect they will

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Leach anyone? Though the prediction was OT will not spin.

I hope Overton and Robinson keep their place. Need to persist with them. With the rain forecasted for OT next week, it may be short game. So as well give them another test to play. Did i hear Saquib is injured too

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Leach anyone? Though the prediction was OT will not spin.

I hope Overton and Robinson keep their place. Need to persist with them. With the rain forecasted for OT next week, it may be short game. So as well give them another test to play. Did i hear Saquib is injured too

Old Trafford not spin in September? they playing on the football pitch????

Robinson will play if hes fit enough to, Overton I expect will miss out if everyone else is fit with Wood likely to return even if Leach doesnt. Mahmood picked up a side injury in the county game against Notts, didnt return afterwards hence not in the squad here

Grizzly

Visit site
I can't imagine they will play both Anderson and Robinson again - they may have been our two best bowlers, but their workloads for the last six weeks have been off the charts and both would seem excellent candidates to break down. And everything is made more complicated by Overton possibly having an elbow injury.

So, unusually, I can't call this one. One assumes that Buttler - Mr Golden Balls - was brought back in to the squad with the intention of him playing, but I can't see an argument to leave any of the top six here out, so my only thought would be that they might go for him instead of Moeen and decide at the last between four quicks and using Leach as the spinner. The difference being that Leach is skilled at holding up an end even when the ball in not really gripping.

sunshine

Visit site
Surely Anderson plays at Old Trafford! He will have a nice rest after this match anyway.

Bringing Buttler back into the squad means he will play. I can't see Leach coming in for Moeen - it will be Leach + Moeen or Moeen only. If they want to bring in Leach I think they will have to sacrifice a batsman, which is a bit risky with this dodgy batting line up.

This is where England miss Stokes as a 5th bowler.

Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Bairstow, Buttler, Moeen, Robinson, Wood, Leach, Anderson.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't imagine they will play both Anderson and Robinson again - they may have been our two best bowlers, but their workloads for the last six weeks have been off the charts and both would seem excellent candidates to break down. And everything is made more complicated by Overton possibly having an elbow injury.

So, unusually, I can't call this one. One assumes that Buttler - Mr Golden Balls - was brought back in to the squad with the intention of him playing, but I can't see an argument to leave any of the top six here out, so my only thought would be that they might go for him instead of Moeen and decide at the last between four quicks and using Leach as the spinner. The difference being that Leach is skilled at holding up an end even when the ball in not really gripping.

Pretty much came to the same conclusion, genuinely dont know how what side theyll go with, that used to happen in the 5th test once wed lost 3 or 4 nil lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely Anderson plays at Old Trafford! He will have a nice rest after this match anyway.

Bringing Buttler back into the squad means he will play. I can't see Leach coming in for Moeen - it will be Leach + Moeen or Moeen only. If they want to bring in Leach I think they will have to sacrifice a batsman, which is a bit risky with this dodgy batting line up.

This is where England miss Stokes as a 5th bowler.

Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Bairstow, Buttler, Moeen, Robinson, Wood, Leach, Anderson.

brave call leaving Pope out after he made 80ish first inns last game, if he wasnt called Bairstow Im sure that would be the option......

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pretty much came to the same conclusion, genuinely dont know how what side theyll go with, that used to happen in the 5th test once wed lost 3 or 4 nil lol

1627840406125.jpg-org

Grizzly

Visit site
brave call leaving Pope out after he made 80ish first inns last game, if he wasnt called Bairstow Im sure that would be the option......

Unfortunately he is called Bairstow, and that tends to mean...well, lets be fair, he is the most messed around player in English cricket, so it would not surprise if he did make way. He shouldn't though - he has batted well enough in this series without quite kicking on, and he provides the middle order with mongrel and impetus.