The Cricket Thread

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
India have some outstanding fast bowlers these days. Couple that with a spinner who they are prepared to have go for runs if he gets wickets.

The ball is moving a bit now though. Root looks unfazed by it all when he is facing but the others look like theyre facing a taped tennis ball

D

Deleted member 18588

Same old, same old!

So often England's batsmen have the occasional good innings but actually flatter to deceive.

Burns, Hameed, Pope and Bairstow who has had a Test career of mediocrity punctuated by the odd good performance that retains his place.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Burns has looked a better batsman since Sibley was dropped and Hameed moved up the order. I wonder whether batting with Sibley was dragging Burns down a bit and whether there are shoots of a decent partnership developing with Hameed.
YPOu just enjoy batting with some gus more than others. If I know theyre a walking wicket or bound to the odd lapse in run judgement then youalways feel a bit tentative. Maybe they just didn't get on as people though?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is interesting to watch the fielding positions.. root seems to have more people square of him to the leg side.. almost a slip corden around the square leg umpire.

Previously there were 2 close in fielders either side of the pitch while Bairstow was batting

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was working on my computer this morning. BBC sport open on a separate tab. On the whole, a decent morning with only the Malan run out being the irritation. This afternoon I have been in the factory and only just checked the scoring now :eek:. I apologise for going away from my desk and causing this shower :cry:.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was working on my computer this morning. BBC sport open on a separate tab. On the whole, a decent morning with only the Malan run out being the irritation. This afternoon I have been in the factory and only just checked the scoring now :eek:. I apologise for going away from my desk and causing this shower :cry:.

Repeat after me… it’s all your fault ..

sunshine

Visit site
Interesting reading the BBC website commentary on the Malan run out. One reporter stating the Hameed had run out Malan, the other stating that Malan was too slow.

FWIW I think Malan was day dreaming at the non-striker's end, he should have been 3 or 4 yards down the wicket when Hameed called him through, not standing still in his crease.

Anyway, this England team has gone back to the traditional batting collapse. Half of them aren't test quality so it's no surprise really.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Proof positive today that England are a very, very poor Test side captained by a great batter, but uninspiring leader. If only there was another captaincy candidate out there.

And before anyone says Ben Stokes, let our talisman remain just that. Don’t shoehorn him into the captaincy as soon as he’s back. We tried it with Botham and KP and it didn’t work then - it won’t work with Stokes.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is this the same pitch that England was bowling on yesterday?… Boom moving the old ball, Yadav moving the new one.

Overton must be in real pain … getting a full one on the elbow

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, but John Cleese could add it to the Ministry of silly walks!

Watched him (from side on) at Lords..
run up is shorter than my 11 yr old.. can’t call it a run up either.. more like a manual car having some starting trouble and being driven by a teenager .. yet he can develop that pace.

If he was born in Eng or come thru the normal cricket academy route, I am assuming that this would have stamped out