The Cricket Thread

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Totally agree. Knowledgeable, articulate, and without a hint that he is struggling for things to say. I’m not actually a huge fan of Broad as a cricketer, but have been mightily impressed with him in the commentary box.

Sometimes one too many jokes about his Dad.. otherwise could not be more perfect

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today at my son’s cricket camp, they are playing a ‘world cup’. He is playing for Australia. So they need to get some green or gold in their kit. Apparently also been asked to bring sandpaper.

All that 150 yrs of cricketing history now reduced to a Wicks’ finest 150 grit …

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had to chuckle last night watching the last 7-8 balls. 6 needed to win, my son turns to me, 'what would you do?'. 'Work the ball, plenty of space for 2's' Livingstone tries to hit a 6, gets out. Morgan tries to hit a 6, gets away with a mishit that drops short. Morgan tries to hit a 6, gets out. Jordan knocks it around more conservatively and picks up the runs with a few to spare.

I felt old in that even though Jordan went old school the mentality is to finish as quickly as possible, go for it. It has got England to number 1. Can't argue with it long term although on occasions it is stressful to watch.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Watching it.. struggling with the format esp when is it an over? Seems random 5, 10 , 11 balls ..

Batting seems more straightforward… Harmeet .. sure this girl can…

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to watch the Men's 100 tonight, give it another chance. I dipped into the Women's version last night and just couldn't get into it. Mainly, the graphics were a real distraction. As Mrs P said, "Migraine inducing...".

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got these emails today.. for a min i thought the one of top was related to the second... made me chuckle.. (but i appreciate that very few people will find it funny)

1626975341019.png

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've tried tonight but it's basically 20 20 with teams I don't care about, have no affinity for.

I heard Jonathan Agnew talking yesterday and he was saying this is all about bringing in new fans to the game. Fair enough, I hope it does that, genuinely. As a cricket fan, more test match than 20 20, it's leaving me cold so far. If Agnew is right in his analysis though, that doesn't matter.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've tried tonight but it's basically 20 20 with teams I don't care about, have no affinity for.

I heard Jonathan Agnew talking yesterday and he was saying this is all about bringing in new fans to the game. Fair enough, I hope it does that, genuinely. As a cricket fan, more test match than 20 20, it's leaving me cold so far. If Agnew is right in his analysis though, that doesn't matter.

wish i hadnt bothered taking a peek :(

new fans is great if its not at the expense of existing ones and would be great apart from Surrey sell out the Oval for the blast every game, theyve given away a bundle of tickets for this, are calling it a sell out (the crowd not just the commentators) yet theres empty seats all round the ground

theres no such thing as an over anymore yet the comms use the word all the time, as for signifying the change of "over" by raising a white card just lol

the graphics are utterly horrific, typical marketing department trying too hard, at least match the colours to the team colours

theyve basically just added a load of confusing gimmicks to force through their desire to have a city based franchise structure instead of the counties having any say in how the game is run, and risked ruining the whole cricket set up in this country for it, where are all the supposed overseas stars that were promised to lift the quality?

FTA tv coverage is great but could have been done for the blast (BBC thought they were buying a T20 comp when they were first involved). As is the supposed commitment to the womens game but thats far more hot air than substance still)

Still, theyve got the massive ECB war chest to throw at it and ram it down everyones throats at every opportunity. For crickets sake it cant afford to fail, but in the process will destroy a lot of what most fans love about cricket :(

oh and expect a close finish tonight ;)

as they say, im out

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
oh and one of the supposed reasons of 100 balls not 20 overs (120 balls) was the time it takes. in the 20 over blast sides have a max of 75 minutes to bowl their overs, seems they get the same time for 100 balls - ridiculous

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Awful. And it seems I’m far from alone in;

1. Failing to see the point of this new format, which is T20 re-badged, and

2. Finding the graphics vomit inducing.

Throw into the mix a BBC commentary team who patently don’t know when to keep quiet, and I’m not sure I’ll be watching a second time. It’s an unnecessary addition, and I just don’t see how it will attract anyone who doesn’t already enjoy T20.

Nowhere near worth the hype.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find the ridiculous over enthusiasm by the commentators the worst thing! to me the whole thing is rubbish. Still I don’t suppose I’m their target audience.

complete race to the bottom from the comms and journalists to ensure they keep their place on the gravy train!!!

I know Im not their target audience, theyve made that abundantly clear :)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I find the ridiculous over enthusiasm by the commentators the worst thing! to me the whole thing is rubbish. Still I don’t suppose I’m their target audience.

Vaughan and Tuffnell are absolutely awful. I can’t stand either of them. Amateurs compared with the coverage on Sky.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Vaughan and Tuffnell are absolutely awful. I can’t stand either of them. Amateurs compared with the coverage on Sky.

It’s not just the tosh they spout it’s the almost manic enthusiasm, trying to portray it as the most exciting game of Cricket that was ever played!
Almost feel sorry for Jimmy Anderson, obviously knows it’s a turd but has to talk it up.

Also I simply have no affinity for either team!