The Cricket Thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The get out is that we are watching an Eng side missing some first teamers. And NZ too btw.

However it shows there isn't much talent left in the Eng locker for Test Match cricket.

But as the pundits have quite rightly pointed out, those currently occupying the top five in the order are the men making runs at county level. They are England’s current go-to top five, the alternative being players untried at Test level who are not really performing on the county circuit.

The technique, shot selection and mentality of our batters are all horrible to watch. Horrible. It’s like watching England of yesteryear.

www.hiltonpark.net
But as the pundits have quite rightly pointed out, those currently occupying the top five in the order are the men making runs at county level. They are England’s current go-to top five, the alternative being players untried at Test level who are not really performing on the county circuit.

The technique, shot selection and mentality of our batters are all horrible to watch. Horrible. It’s like watching England of yesteryear.
When you watch all the kiwi batsmen with immaculate defence techniques, playing the ball late under their eyes you realise how far off it all ours are. Every single England player pushes their hands away from their body.

The whole top 5 could do with a whole season working on their techniques at leaving and defence.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When you watch all the kiwi batsmen with immaculate defence techniques, playing the ball late under their eyes you realise how far off it all ours are. Every single England player pushes their hands away from their body.

The whole top 5 could do with a whole season working on their techniques at leaving and defence.

a quick look at the batting averages of the two sides tells you all you need to know sadly

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If any of the young batsmen like Lawrence and Crawley haven't worked out that they need that for a long test career then theirs no hope.
Sibley's technique is do full of holes I've no idea if he can sort them all out

theres definitely an approach within the england set up that attitude and approach is more important than technique

www.hiltonpark.net
theres definitely an approach within the england set up that attitude and approach is more important than technique
I think the Kiwi's have all followed Williamson's lead. They have an identikit technique which has been shown for decades to work. whereas ours come out of a poor county circuit with all sorts of issues and rather than work with them we toss them back into the championship.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

We have focused so much on white ball cricket during the last few years that we are in a right royal mess in the longer format.

Jason Roy is a classic case in point. A wonderful and destructive white ball player but, when he made his Test debut, I think I’m right in saying he had never batted for more than three hours in one first class innings.

We are now a very, very poor Test side. A long winter ahead, methinks.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

I hear you. World of difference between County and Test Match. Too much one-day focus and result pitches have led to crap Test Match technique. The Kiwis gave us lesson in batting against a moving ball.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the Kiwi's have all followed Williamson's lead. They have an identikit technique which has been shown for decades to work. whereas ours come out of a poor county circuit with all sorts of issues and rather than work with them we toss them back into the championship.

Plus the Kiwis are playing on consistent home wickets to allow their techniques to develop.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to laugh at the ECB (yet again)

First womens test for a long time and they are making them play on a strip that was used for a T20 blast game the other day rather than them getting a fresh strip and refusing to change despite requests from the England captain among others lol

Actions and words, actions and words

Perhaps a used strip accommodates a 65mph "quick" better ?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Just watched the first over after lunch (of the womens test) while on a break and it is just totally underwhelming. The 'quick' is sending it down at 61mph. Batter spooned a chance to mid off. Fielder ran away from the ball. :unsure:

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been listening to the women's test on TMS and enjoyed it. Largely different commentators who offer different insights to the current TMS lot. Less crustiness and buffoonery and none of the look at me arrogance of Vaughan and 'in my day' claptrap of Boycott. Brilliant, robust discussion on the pitch farrago yesterday where the ECB copped plenty of flack.

Doesnt bother me about who bowls at what speed or who hits it how far. Is women's Tennis less of a watch because the players dont serve as fast? The match has ebbed and flowed nicely. India looked in charge at 160 odd without loss but a collapse has levelled things up again.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Watched a bit of the woman's game.. Am I allowed to say that i found the long hair of the bowler very distracting. As a batsman looking at the ball being released, suddenly a long mane of hair catches the corner of the eye.. Though i am assuming that women batsman are used to playing those conditions for a long time..

To ensure a balanced view.. i would be distracted by Jofra's jewellery if i was batting.. that is a conversation for another day..

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
WTC - Overcast, swinging about and its easy to see the 2 Indian openers have such a superior technique to our guys....

superb cricket so far, great batting in testing conditions

interesting to see NZ go in with no spinners and India pick both of theirs, expect the right answer may have been in the middle :)