The Cricket Thread

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Seen a study which looked at the test results and duration of the match from 2000 to 2020.

Total of 902 test matches with 704 decisive test matches (those with a result). There were 198 drawn tests.

Day 1 - 0 obviously
Day 2 - 7 results (1%)
Day 3 - 130 results (18.5%)
Day 4 - 274 results (38.9%)
Day 5 - 293 result (41.6%)

So in conclusion the vast majority of the 900 odd test matches took more than 3 days. This series (with the exception of match 1 where India lost on a half decent deck) is a buck against the trend in that the results have come far quicker than recent history suggests.

So what is the reason for this?

I suggest that the main factor has been the pitches on which the games have been played.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So in conclusion the vast majority of the 900 odd test matches took more than 3 days. This series (with the exception of match 1 where India lost on a half decent deck) is a buck against the trend in that the results have come far quicker than recent history suggests.

So what is the reason for this?

I suggest that the main factor has been the pitches on which the games have been played.

I suggest the main reason is England's woeful batting.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Crowd limited to a small number for obvious reasons so what do they do..... all congregate into large groups ?‍♂️

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I’m still leaving Pitches at 1 because the deck on the first test was half decent and well over 1000 runs were scored but there were also 40 wickets taken. Fair contest between bat and ball.

Decks in the rest of the tests caused games to end in 3 days or less and each has yielded less than 1000 runs and wickets falling in clumps.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
7) Indian spinners exploiting the conditions superbly

As much as we have been terrible with the bat they have bowled superbly. Never been an Ashwin fan but have to respect just how good he is when he gets his conditions and Axar couldnt have dreamed his start to Test cricket would go this well

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m still leaving Pitches at 1 because the deck on the first test was half decent and well over 1000 runs were scored but there were also 40 wickets taken. Fair contest between bat and ball.

Decks in the rest of the tests caused games to end in 3 days or less and each has yielded less than 1000 runs and wickets falling in clumps.

I am increasingly moving away from the pitch thing. Agree 2&3 had difficult pitches but equally would Eng not have a green top to favour our ABBA - Anderson, Broad, Ben stokes and Archer? Folks like Rohit, Fokes, Lawrence and Pant showed batting was possible if the opposition chooses seamers on a turning pitch. Root was about a day late in bringing himself on.

8) hot Indian conditions

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
9) The complete and utter lack of decent spin bowlers in county cricket

And we only have Leach and Bess because of the Taunton pitches of recent years! Definitely a need for up and coming spinners to spend more time in Asian conditions

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am increasingly moving away from the pitch thing. Agree 2&3 had difficult pitches but equally would Eng not have a green top to favour our ABBA - Anderson, Broad, Ben stokes and Archer? Folks like Rohit, Fokes, Lawrence and Pant showed batting was possible if the opposition chooses seamers on a turning pitch. Root was about a day late in bringing himself on.

8) hot Indian conditions

when did you last see a proper green top for a test in England?