The Cricket Thread

D

Deleted member 3432

How many times does Smith have to show that he's a classless tool before he's kicked out of the game for good.?

You could use that description of most who have worn the baggy green....

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Aussies reverting to type who would have thought it.

Interesting that it Wade and Paine involved, probably the worst two players in a very poor team trying to make up for their lack of ability with a bit of verbal.

Smith skating on thin ice, obviously not got much upstairs trying that little stunt. Harmless in itself but not with his background of sandpapering ball.

Wade and Paine are nobodys and other than the odd game, they struggle.

Very disappointed with Smith.. He has the talent but apparently not much. He could be one of the legends of the game, but not with that behaviour .. i can understand being a keen and therefore doing some shadow batting, but to then mess with the batsman's guard is unacceptable.

Will we see this again??

ErbJS4zUYAAlCkY

sunshine

Visit site
Bit of over reaction to Smith. Scuffing out the batsmen's guard was petty and childish, but not cheating.

When it comes to sledging, the current Aussie side have a history of trying to give it out but not being able to take it. Warner the prime example. Paine got taught a lesson. Ashwin's off the cuff response caught him out and he no response other than to insult him. Paine isn't even good enough to be playing test cricket so he should be the last person to try sledging.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with Gavaskar's comment about the Smith incident. In isolation it's nothing but, for me, the sheer number of incidents taking place involving the Aussies makes it significant for me.

In truth, the tomfoolery in the series has become nauseating. To the point where I am rapidly losing interest in the series now.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bit of over reaction to Smith. Scuffing out the batsmen's guard was petty and childish, but not cheating.

When it comes to sledging, the current Aussie side have a history of trying to give it out but not being able to take it. Warner the prime example. Paine got taught a lesson. Ashwin's off the cuff response caught him out and he no response other than to insult him. Paine isn't even good enough to be playing test cricket so he should be the last person to try sledging.

It is the number of issues and the degree of venom with these sledges, especially when the reply is a belter. If we want to push this sort of thing out of all sport but in this case the ICC should be seen to take a firm stance on this given the repeated nature of the offences

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
It is the number of issues and the degree of venom with these sledges, especially when the reply is a belter. If we want to push this sort of thing out of all sport but in this case the ICC should be seen to take a firm stance on this given the repeated nature of the offences
The verbals between players is a great part of the game. We do the same when we play golf don’t we?
None of the ones I heard from Paine crossed the line. They were pretty lame really.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nothing wrong with that chirp from Paine.

in isolation i agree with you, but against the back drop of the sanctimonious rubbish that "team australia" keep telling us theyre whiter than white less so, constant hypocrisy of a group that says one thing promotes itself and its "rules" via a documentary then constantly crosses the lines theyve set themselves

D

Deleted member 18588

The verbals between players is a great part of the game. We do the same when we play golf don’t we?
None of the ones I heard from Paine crossed the line. They were pretty lame really.
Certainly not a great part of the game.

Just infantile and boring. If any player is actually affected by it they need to find another profession.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The thing with the Aussies and the Indians is that a lot of them are good mates in the IPL.. So there is always going to be talk around the stump. As someone mentioned Aussies struggle when people give it back to them.. Paine (and Pant) have been poor behind the wicket and therefore indulging in chat makes it worse. last year Pant-Paine got into the whole babysitter conversation which was funny at times. I think Pant went on to babysit for Paine's kid.

Steve Smith on the other hand seems to be writing a longer list of brain fades which are being excused because he is a fantastic batsman. To me, throwing the ball at batsman crossess the line.. Wade needs a kick up the back side

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

if i were one of the Indian batsmen i would be taking a small piece of yellow sand paper out to bat with me and using it to sand bits of my bat when ever they started sledging... Aussies don't like a taste of their own medicine.. :LOL:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Distracting a batsman/bowler or fielder through chat is part of the game. The Aussies were best at it for ages and "mental disintegration" was part of the plan. Did they care that no one liked them? No! They won all the time and that is what the game is really about at that level.

Only when there was physical cheating did they really take a look at the culture they had in the team at the time. The sandpaper thing was very different to the sledging they were doing (badly) but it all got looked at as culture and they wanted to be liked because they weren't winning everything.

Having played a lot of cricket in my time, I have sledged and been sledged loads. Some of it was funny as hell. Some not so funny. Some of it was personal as hell. Language was both eloquent and coarse. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. And you git to know who it worked on pretty quickly. Once you had a target, you went for it. And it would be the same every time you played that guy. In international cricket there are plenty of players who don't/didn't get verbals because it doesn't work on them and it just made things worse.

I think people are over reacting

D

Deleted member 18588

Distracting a batsman/bowler or fielder through chat is part of the game. The Aussies were best at it for ages and "mental disintegration" was part of the plan. Did they care that no one liked them? No! They won all the time and that is what the game is really about at that level.

Only when there was physical cheating did they really take a look at the culture they had in the team at the time. The sandpaper thing was very different to the sledging they were doing (badly) but it all got looked at as culture and they wanted to be liked because they weren't winning everything.

Having played a lot of cricket in my time, I have sledged and been sledged loads. Some of it was funny as hell. Some not so funny. Some of it was personal as hell. Language was both eloquent and coarse. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. And you git to know who it worked on pretty quickly. Once you had a target, you went for it. And it would be the same every time you played that guy. In international cricket there are plenty of players who don't/didn't get verbals because it doesn't work on them and it just made things worse.

I think people are over reacting

And I continue to think that it is high time that cricketers started behaving like grown men rather than adolescent schoolboys.

And I also played a lot of cricket until I was 50, but I never indulged in any sledging and any aimed at me was water off a duck's back.

Its pathetic! A case of " Talking the talk but not walking the walk".

Just like kids.