The Cricket Thread

sunshine

Visit site
This India side isn't even that good.

We just have to be realistic in our expectations: a team with only one test match batsman isn't going to win many tests!

D

Deleted member 18588

Watched him (from side on) at Lords..
run up is shorter than my 11 yr old.. can’t call it a run up either.. more like a manual car having some starting trouble and being driven by a teenager .. yet he can develop that pace.

If he was born in Eng or come thru the normal cricket academy route, I am assuming that this would have stamped out

Why would you assume that?

After all the academies failed to sort out the batting techniques of Roy, Sibley, Burns, Crawley, Hameed et al;

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was working on my computer this morning. BBC sport open on a separate tab. On the whole, a decent morning with only the Malan run out being the irritation. This afternoon I have been in the factory and only just checked the scoring now :eek:. I apologise for going away from my desk and causing this shower :cry:.

come on everyone knows youre not allowed to move when the team are going well (the amount of times we used to follow that dumb rule on a saturday afternoon haha)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Proof positive today that England are a very, very poor Test side captained by a great batter, but uninspiring leader. If only there was another captaincy candidate out there.

And before anyone says Ben Stokes, let our talisman remain just that. Don’t shoehorn him into the captaincy as soon as he’s back. We tried it with Botham and KP and it didn’t work then - it won’t work with Stokes.

for anyone who saw stokes attempt to captain against Hales earlier this year he wouldnt even make a shortlist. the big problem is very few of the side are guaranteed their place, let alone be considered as captain and none seem obvious candidates! the cupboards pretty bare

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
for anyone who saw stokes attempt to captain against Hales earlier this year he wouldnt even make a shortlist. the big problem is very few of the side are guaranteed their place, let alone be considered as captain and none seem obvious candidates! the cupboards pretty bare

I don’t follow the county game as closely as I used to, but can’t think of a single English-qualified county captain who would get near the Test side. So any future captain perhaps needs to come from the ranks which, as you say, presents a rather significant stumbling block!

I could just about live with an outstanding county captain being promoted to the Test ranks, in the way Mike Brearley was, if we had a strong side. But we are miles short.

And don’t even get me started on the ludicrous appointment of Chris Cowdrey as captain (by his godfather, as I recall), the explanation being he had the sort of leadership skills needed. He was neither a Test quality batsman nor captain.

Alas, it’s Root or nobody at the moment. At present any replacement will either not be a good enough player, or captain. More likely both.

D

Deleted member 18588

come on everyone knows youre not allowed to move when the team are going well (the amount of times we used to follow that dumb rule on a saturday afternoon haha)
Nearly peed myself on one occasion following that rule.

When the wicket finally fell I covered the 10 yards to the gents in two strides?

D

Deleted member 18588

its when the opening pair put on 200, finally the wicket falls and 5 guys get up to go!!!!!!
Mine was a number 8 who had never made 20 before yet on this particular day he went on to make 70 odd.

At least we won a game that had looked lost!

Grizzly

Visit site
Unfortunately the county game now does not really breed leadership experience, at least not in those young enough to feasibly begin a Test career. The number of County captains' who have stood down within a year or two because it affected their game is massive - in recent years including potential Test players like Gary Ballance and Liam Livingstone (as well as Dawid Malan for that matter). Of the current squad, only Rory Burns has any significant experience and, whilst I think he is pretty close to nailed on at the moment just from a paucity of any other available options, its not like he has shown any great skills in the role.

Meanwhile of the current remaining 17, the only three who you could make any argument for as even outsiders for a test place would be James Vince, Tom Abell and Will Rhodes. Not really options, are they?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately the county game now does not really breed leadership experience, at least not in those young enough to feasibly begin a Test career. The number of County captains' who have stood down within a year or two because it affected their game is massive - in recent years including potential Test players like Gary Ballance and Liam Livingstone (as well as Dawid Malan for that matter). Of the current squad, only Rory Burns has any significant experience and, whilst I think he is pretty close to nailed on at the moment just from a paucity of any other available options, its not like he has shown any great skills in the role.

Meanwhile of the current remaining 17, the only three who you could make any argument for as even outsiders for a test place would be James Vince, Tom Abell and Will Rhodes. Not really options, are they?

On the rugby ground today.. we were having the same debate.. if not Root then who…. One suggested Malan..

Not on my radar.. but anyone knows how he fares

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a friend from India summarised today about marmite Kohli..

.. India has found a way to win even when Kohli does not score

.. Eng can’t find a way to win even when Root scores

Difference between captaincy and leadership ..

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As a friend from India summarised today about marmite Kohli..

.. India has found a way to win even when Kohli does not score

.. Eng can’t find a way to win even when Root scores

Difference between captaincy and leadership ..

ROFL - actually WALOFS

Kohlis so called leadership including leaving the best spinner in the world currently warming the bench because of a personal feud? Behaving like a spoilt brat when nothing goes his way? Or undermining one of his senior batsman?

Swap Root and Kohli over for this series and India wouldve won 5-0 with Roots runs

Grizzly

Visit site
On the rugby ground today.. we were having the same debate.. if not Root then who…. One suggested Malan..

Not on my radar.. but anyone knows how he fares

Badly. There are rumours that he can be a prickly character in the dressing room, and his numbers skippering Middlesex were not great.

Pragmatically if we really had to replace Joe, Buttler playing as a batsman at 7 would be the least worst option.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
ROFL - actually WALOFS

Kohlis so called leadership including leaving the best spinner in the world currently warming the bench because of a personal feud? Behaving like a spoilt brat when nothing goes his way? Or undermining one of his senior batsman?

Swap Root and Kohli over for this series and India wouldve won 5-0 with Roots runs

I learnt a new word today... excellent.

this India team has shown that they can beat a good side with or without kohli. The Ind-Aus series was terrific esp when an Indian B team beat Aussies at home..

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What England need to do is try and get some County Cricket between Test matches/series so the players can actually go out, spend some time in the middle and actually get some confidence back. It might also make the County scene better and develop other players and the County Championship would also be fairier as teams wouldn't be missing their stars for just about all the season!