The Cricket Thread

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well said Tongo. How much are the players receiving please? Is it anything similar to The IPL system?

The Royal London Cup is far more interest to me and I would think that is the case for the majority of cricket fans. If Piers Morgan is involved how low can they go? The last sentence should have egone on random irritations!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well said Tongo. How much are the players receiving please? Is it anything similar to The IPL system?

The Royal London Cup is far more interest to me and I would think that is the case for the majority of cricket fans. If Piers Morgan is involved how low can they go? The last sentence should have egone on random irritations!

Mens salaries are between 30k and 125k (though i think they may have had a 10% covid cut to them), Womens salaries are between zero and £15k

Edit: Seems the covid cut was 20%, so 24k to 100k this season

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure the marketing department shared the plan with the Lancashire groundsman ?????

Nice to see the mighty Eagles soar to a 9 wicket win with more than 10 overs to spare against Middlesex today, Cook and Westley imperious

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How does a head coach test positive along with 2 other support staff yet they only have 2 more close contacts (no players).
Nothing to do with players having been told to turn the app off I suppose.......

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
How does a head coach test positive along with 2 other support staff yet they only have 2 more close contacts (no players).
Nothing to do with players having been told to turn the app off I suppose.......

Same as the euros and I suspect more than a few other sporting events where it is not practical or not affordable to lock the teams in a hotel and training facility for the duration. Few sacrifical lambs at the alter of covid compliance and everyone goes on as normal

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watched Dorset play Wiltshire in Wimborne today in the National (previously Minor) Counties Championship. A very good standard of cricket sadly ignored by far too many.

Minor counties always struggled for coverage, far far worse with the current media blackout of anything other than the vanity project

Compare the standard to this garbage thats been on this afternoon

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Minor counties always struggled for coverage, far far worse with the current media blackout of anything other than the vanity project

Compare the standard to this garbage thats been on this afternoon

Aye, the obsession with status in English cricket doesnt help. As the matches are not deemed first-class then many people aren't interested, even if they live in a Minor County.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really good discussion on Twitter started by Izzy Westbury on the 'them and us' nature that has been created by certain individuals. Calls out these people as not helping. Doesnt name Vaughan but one can draw one's conclusions on who she is talking about. Refreshing to have some proper dialogue from someone who is in favour of the 100 rather than hyperbole, in your face marketing and general finger pointing.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This is a very good piece. I've been critical of my home county, Hampshire, for some time. They seem to have lost touch with their fans, the community, the recreational game etc. It doesnt feel as if there is a link between the club and any of them. Rather, they feel like a corporate machine where cricket is too often too much of an inconvenience. They'll advertise all around the surrounding areas of the wedding fayres, fireworks displays and other non-cricketing stuff taking place at the ground but nothing for actual cricket. Havent even seen anything for the dreaded Southern Brave and the 100!

In comparison to other counties they seem very aloof and full of their own importance. A couple of times I have contacted them on Twitter for match information and you dont get a reply of any sort. Certainly not the same with other counties. I visited Worcestershire a couple of years ago and during the day they regularly announced the scores in the county's Second XI match and the women's match. Wouldnt get anything like that at the Rose Bowl.

It's also interesting that whilst other counties are playing their One Day Cup matches at outgrounds Hampshire's are all at the Rose Bowl. That's likely because they havent bothered to maintain a relationship with anywhere and have been left with no option. They havent even arranged one on the IOW which seems to be their possible first choice!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really good discussion on Twitter started by Izzy Westbury on the 'them and us' nature that has been created by certain individuals. Calls out these people as not helping. Doesnt name Vaughan but one can draw one's conclusions on who she is talking about. Refreshing to have some proper dialogue from someone who is in favour of the 100 rather than hyperbole, in your face marketing and general finger pointing.

shes hardly 100% whiter than white in this regard either though, has a very very clear agenda and is not for straying from it and isnt too fussed if it offends certain sections as long as it promotes her position and opinion, dont get me wrong i agree with some of it, but at times it gets a bit repetitive and monotonous and is very preachy

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
shes hardly 100% whiter than white in this regard either though, has a very very clear agenda and is not for straying from it and isnt too fussed if it offends certain sections as long as it promotes her position and opinion, dont get me wrong i agree with some of it, but at times it gets a bit repetitive and monotonous and is very preachy

True but there finally does appear to be an acknowledgement from some that the antagonistic, divisive attitude of the likes of Vaughan, Topley and Gurney is not helping anyone or the sport at large.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
True but there finally does appear to be an acknowledgement from some that the antagonistic, divisive attitude of the likes of Vaughan, Topley and Gurney is not helping anyone or the sport at large.

Agree, just needs to go a lot lot further, to include the content and attitudes that almost all of the undred comms have been told to operate on. I read comments about how the hundred was making young players, the same young players who have played 2 games in it, having been at their counties for years and years!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh and the insistence of using Winviz, even though it is absurdly wrong and that its creators/owners have admitted it doesnt take into account the strength of the two sides playing because its innovative is utterly laughable. How much are they paying for the white elephant that they could create for free by using the in running betfair price at any point (I guarantee you its way way more accurate than the models Winviz use!)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Oh dear. I’ve not caught too much of the Sky Sports commentary having watched much of The Hundred on mute whilst with the family on holiday, and I’m just properly experiencing Freddie Flintoff for the first time. Utterly adolescent input Fred, I’m afraid. He would fit in far better with Tuffers on the BBC.

His insight is great, his up to date knowledge of what goes on in dressing rooms refreshing, but he presents it all like a toddler who has just eaten an entire tube of blue Smarties and is suffering a permanent e-number induced high.

Sorry, back to mute.