The Cricket Thread

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wife said what's all this glitter and shiny-stuff in this cricket game. I was watching an IPL game. She then said if football was like this then she would watch for the glittery kit. Nothing was said by me and I quietly turned over....

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wife said what's all this glitter and shiny-stuff in this cricket game. I was watching an IPL game. She then said if football was like this then she would watch for the glittery kit. Nothing was said by me and I quietly turned over....

and the undred gains another fan ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i see sky are showing an enhanced youtube feed of Midds v Gloucs. So rather than pick the best game just the nearest will do lol, and lets piggyback the counties stream initiative too rather than actually covering the match fully

think id rather they were still showing the circus lol

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I enjoy the T20 Blast - I don’t think they have gone too far with that

Yeah, i enjoy the Blast and generally go down to the Ageas Bowl for one or two games. (Have bought a ticket to the double header that they have there this summer)

My beef is that T20, in England at least, doesnt attract people interested in cricket but people interested in a night out. When i go down to the AB i for the Blast i would say that only about a quarter of those there are actually watching the game. The other three quarters pay minimal attention unless a six is clouted. Now, i'm not interested in Football anymore but at least Football fans talk about the game, the players, the tactics etc, even if many an opinion is wildly biased. At the Blast far too many people have not the foggiest about who is playing, the tactics of the game or the counties in general. It's a night out and has become an equivalent of the Darts where there are too many only interested in getting dressed up, drinking too much and trying to get on TV. It's a false economy as it appears that the Blast is popular, which it is, but that doesnt translate into people becoming interested in the sport at large or consider taking up the sport. Participation is a watchword with those in charge, especially with the 100, but the shorter the format, the less likely it seems to interest people in actually playing. None of it has arrested the massive fall off of players once they reach their late teens. This is, naturally, a nuanced issue and not just about T20 attendance but if you encourage an ethos of not really paying attention to the actual sport rather than all the fripperies then is it any wonder that people remain lukewarm about the sport?

D

Deleted member 15344

T20 is enjoyable.

But it's not cricket.

We are already seeing poor Test Match techniques due to T20.

And we also see some very good test players from T20 - there is a place for it within the sport , provided it doesn’t dominate

The likes of the IPL appears to dominate the sport - test cricket should be first and foremost

good luck getting to see much of it or it containing the players you would expect it to this summer :(

I would enjoy it going back to the old days where the paid mercenaries don’t appear

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Test squad announced today.....Buttler, Archer, Stokes, Bairstow, Woakes not available. Who would you go for? My team is......

Burns, Bracey, Crawley, Root, Pope, Lawrence, Foakes, Bess, Overton, Broad, Anderson.

Possibly Leach for Bess and I'd put Curran in for Broad or Anderson if they wanted to rotate.

Grizzly

Visit site
I think Curran and Ali are also deemed unavailable. I'd go:

Sibley (pending his return)
Bracey
Crawley
Root
Pope
Lawrence
Foakes
C Overton
Robinson
Broad
Anderson

Burns, Wood, Leach to fill out the squad

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would like to see Bracey get a go but talk that Sibley is fit again means he likely plays so probably comes down to Bracey or Burns. Pretty sure Robinson gets a run out. Leach likely to be the only spinner, if they pick one (assuming Harmer is still a Saffer :( )

Sibley, Bracey, Crawley, Root, Pope, Lawrence, Foakes, Overton, Robinson, Broad, Anderson, Leach as a 12, Stone, Wood and Burns make up the squad

Not sure there will be any left field picks albeit if ever there was a good time for one, does look very unbalanced without Stokes

Grizzly

Visit site
Would like to see Bracey get a go but talk that Sibley is fit again means he likely plays so probably comes down to Bracey or Burns. Pretty sure Robinson gets a run out. Leach likely to be the only spinner, if they pick one (assuming Harmer is still a Saffer :( )

Sibley, Bracey, Crawley, Root, Pope, Lawrence, Foakes, Overton, Robinson, Broad, Anderson, Leach as a 12, Stone, Wood and Burns make up the squad

Not sure there will be any left field picks albeit if ever there was a good time for one, does look very unbalanced without Stokes

In mid season English conditions, probably not - it will be four quicks and Root/Lawrence will share the "all rounder" overs with a bit of tweak if it is needed. I scratched my head to think of fit/available all rounders and there weren't many - Jordan Thompson is promising but too raw, and the likes of Luis Reece, Ryan Higgins etc are just too military a medium. One name that could work is Matt Critchly, not that we need a leg spinner per se, but it would give the selectors a chance to look at him.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In mid season English conditions, probably not - it will be four quicks and Root/Lawrence will share the "all rounder" overs with a bit of tweak if it is needed. I scratched my head to think of fit/available all rounders and there weren't many - Jordan Thompson is promising but too raw, and the likes of Luis Reece, Ryan Higgins etc are just too military a medium. One name that could work is Matt Critchly, not that we need a leg spinner per se, but it would give the selectors a chance to look at him.

Darren Stevens ;)

before Phil pops up with Lewis Gregory