The Cricket Thread

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When I played cricket I loved a good sledge both giving and taking.
I did overstep the mark once when I bounced out some absolute helmet who played for Bexley (we had hated each other since colts) and I told him rather loudly to F off.
I had no idea he was deaf as he asked what I said so I told him again.
That led to a season ban,
I played a corporate golf day last year and guess who was in my 4 ball?

www.hiltonpark.net
My younger son, now 36, still plays there. The other son now lives overseas but he joined Ivanhoe as a 14 year old and stayed until he went to university.

Who was your uni friend?
A lad called Jon Mason. Probably about 40 now so maybe not playing at that level. I had a couple of seasons in Derbyshire when I was at Uni in Nottingham and loved my cricket in that part of the world.

D

Deleted member 18588

A lad called Jon Mason. Probably about 40 now so maybe not playing at that level. I had a couple of seasons in Derbyshire when I was at Uni in Nottingham and loved my cricket in that part of the world.
Small world. He was a couple of years or so older than my older son so yes he would now be early 40's.

Around 10 years ago my two sons played against him in the Cheshire League. They think he was playing for Nantwich or Cheadle. They were playing for Brookland (Sale).

Again small world.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
See Sri Lanka have started where they finished against South Africa. Village batting performance apparently and only 135 made in their first dig.

They’ve opened with a spinner in reply though and he’s removed Sibley in the 4th over.

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the sledging theme, I used to open the batting and regularly get both barrels from the oppo. Mostly because my identical twin brother used to open the bowling and dish it out. So they used to get us mixed up and think it was him batting.

England don't need to do anything stupid now. Just bat for 2 days accumulating and the game should be done. Proper test match scoring required 45/55 strike rate. No need to push it up any more than that.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cracking first day for England, rare for them to start a test series so well. On the flip side a horrid T20 innings from Sri Lanka. Not quite sure Dom Bess could believe his luck

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I did overstep the mark once when I bounced out some absolute helmet who played for Bexley (we had hated each other since colts) and I told him rather loudly to F off.
One of the great joys of Golf, at least in my opinion and experience, is that such 'confrontations'/experiences can actually be laughed about and remembered as 'part of the game' that triggered them. Whereas (almost) every golfing experience is positive!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Sledging is probably more a part of golf than it is cricket. Everyone I have played with on here has engaged in it.

Apparently I am

A shocking golfer
The worst putter on a planet
Big Bens end
directionally challenged
an absolute next tuesdays appointment

All true though

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cracking first day for England, rare for them to start a test series so well. On the flip side a horrid T20 innings from Sri Lanka. Not quite sure Dom Bess could believe his luck

Bess bowled poorly but was his day! That dismissal when he bowled an absolute half-tracker pie....so village!

D

Deleted member 25172

Please. Don't leave it like that.

Did you laugh about it or was it the most cringe round of golf you've played?

It would've been funny if you said to him (assuming he's partially deaf): "What are you doing here, I thought I told you to f off?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
One of the great joys of Golf, at least in my opinion and experience, is that such 'confrontations'/experiences can actually be laughed about and remembered as 'part of the game' that triggered them. Whereas (almost) every golfing experience is positive!

i buried him in a bunker

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've never really liked sledging but I have to say this one was perfect.
Playing Mid Bucks League in the 80s and we'd mananaged to get an Aussie to play for us. Friend of another player.
Quite a useful all rounder.
We were batting first and half a dozen of us lower order batsmen went for a boundary walk..
About 3 overs in and our opener sticks a simple one to the keeper who promptly spills it.
"GET A BAG" was the instant remark from our Aussie.
Quite a few chuckles all round...
Next ball and the opener sticks another one to the keeper, slightly easier and he spills it again.
"GET A BIGGER BAG"
Closest I've been to wetting myself on a cricket pitch...

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
one of the best sledges to a batsman is to tell him there's sh!t in the end of his bat and when he looks at the toe you say "wrong end mate"

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Please. Don't leave it like that.

Did you laugh about it or was it the most cringe round of golf you've played?

It would've been funny if you said to him (assuming he's partially deaf): "What are you doing here, I thought I told you to f off?"

he was still a helmet and i was a better golfer than him as well as cricketer

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some thoughts after listening to TMS earlier today:

1.) the TMS comms team referred to having to get up at 4 o'clock far too often that it quickly became nauseating. Yes, your previously cosseted lifestyle of being jetted around the world to commentate has had to change a bit. But then so has everyone else's life. And listeners have got up early for decades, and at earlier times, to listen to their commentary which seemed lost on them.
2.) The Justin Langer interview was hilarious for his whining. About Smith and Warner he asked the question who hasn't made a mistake? Therefore effectively declaring that all mistakes are equal and missing the whole point that the sandpaper farrago wasn't a spur of the moment error or a brief loss of one's self control. It was pre-meditated and all involved would have had time to think about what they were doing and realise the gravity of it. They chose not to. That's a completely different mistake on another level than someone losing their rag in the heat of the moment.
3.) The Bairstow brigade are starting to rouse again. The thing is, he will probably score runs in this series as he seems to play reasonably well against spin bowling and has a point to prove. He does respond well to criticism but once has scored his century, as he did last time in SL, and cemented his place back in the team, he then reverts back to type as being a mediocre red ball batsman. But he is given more rope than most England batsmen. And he could well be facing the likes of Boult, Southee, Wagner, Shami and Bumrah this summer in England who will expose his flawed batting technique against decent pace bowling.
4.) The bowling of Leach and Bess shows that stats can often be misleading. Leach bowled well, Bess was very fortunate. But who has the better stats?
5.) Michael Vaughan is still an awful commentator. Banged on about earning the right for some luck. Absolute tosh. There's no such thing as earning the right in sport, its one of these pet clichés that are trotted out to justify an opinion.
6.) Joe Root is still being talked of as in the same category as Smith, Kohli and Williamson. In reality Smith and Kohli are out on their own followed by Williamson (his record outside of NZ stops him being on the same level for me). Root is like Andy Murray when chasing the big 3 in Tennis, a brilliant player but not on the same level.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some thoughts after listening to TMS earlier today:

1.) the TMS comms team referred to having to get up at 4 o'clock far too often that it quickly became nauseating. Yes, your previously cosseted lifestyle of being jetted around the world to commentate has had to change a bit. But then so has everyone else's life. And listeners have got up early for decades, and at earlier times, to listen to their commentary which seemed lost on them.
2.) The Justin Langer interview was hilarious for his whining. About Smith and Warner he asked the question who hasn't made a mistake? Therefore effectively declaring that all mistakes are equal and missing the whole point that the sandpaper farrago wasn't a spur of the moment error or a brief loss of one's self control. It was pre-meditated and all involved would have had time to think about what they were doing and realise the gravity of it. They chose not to. That's a completely different mistake on another level than someone losing their rag in the heat of the moment.
3.) The Bairstow brigade are starting to rouse again. The thing is, he will probably score runs in this series as he seems to play reasonably well against spin bowling and has a point to prove. He does respond well to criticism but once has scored his century, as he did last time in SL, and cemented his place back in the team, he then reverts back to type as being a mediocre red ball batsman. But he is given more rope than most England batsmen. And he could well be facing the likes of Boult, Southee, Wagner, Shami and Bumrah this summer in England who will expose his flawed batting technique against decent pace bowling.
4.) The bowling of Leach and Bess shows that stats can often be misleading. Leach bowled well, Bess was very fortunate. But who has the better stats?
5.) Michael Vaughan is still an awful commentator. Banged on about earning the right for some luck. Absolute tosh. There's no such thing as earning the right in sport, its one of these pet clichés that are trotted out to justify an opinion.
6.) Joe Root is still being talked of as in the same category as Smith, Kohli and Williamson. In reality Smith and Kohli are out on their own followed by Williamson (his record outside of NZ stops him being on the same level for me). Root is like Andy Murray when chasing the big 3 in Tennis, a brilliant player but not on the same level.

Based on that im glad i didnt turn TMS on :)

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Based on that im glad i didnt turn TMS on :)

It was generally okay but fairly predictable on certain matters.

Vaughan was also saying that this England team were possibly starting to become a great team (not his exact words but that was what he was hinting) whilst referencing the victory at Headingly. Which seems odd as England could so easily have lost that match and the Ashes on that final afternoon which would have completely changed opinions on the England team. It was a knife-edge victory rather than a conclusive, dominant performance.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vaughan and Tufnell should be nowhere near TMS. No idea who keeps renewing their contracts. TMS have maintained a great level of recruitment for many years but somehow those two have slipped through.