Cricket 2021

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
If Cummins hadn't kept their 2nd innings alive so that Khawaja could get to his century we'd have lost comfortably again. A slightly better effort than the first three games, but still very poor.
Agreed. The fact this draw, where we clung on, is being celebrated like a series clinching victory, just about says it all. I’ve said it previously and will do so again, this Australian side are nothing special, and they have absolutely battered us from the first ball of the series.

And if Hameed plays another Test match there is something very wrong. His technique is nowhere near good enough to be a Test opener.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Agreed. The fact this draw, where we clung on, is being celebrated like a series clinching victory, just about says it all. I’ve said it previously and will do so again, this Australian side are nothing special, and they have absolutely battered us from the first ball of the series.

And if Hameed plays another Test match there is something very wrong. His technique is nowhere near good enough to be a Test opener.
burns and Crawley to open?

Stokes is looking doubtful as a bowler but easily makes it as a batsman.

Buttler out too by the sounds.

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
burns and Crawley to open?

Stokes is looking doubtful as a bowler but easily makes it as a batsman.

Buttler out too by the sounds.
I think Burns will perhaps make it. Despite an equally (if not more so) awful technique and a poor series, he has more pedigree at this level than Hameed.

Buttler is coming home and whilst Stokes is staying on I see absolutely nothing to be gained, and everything to lose, by playing an all rounder with a side strain as a batter only. He surely needs rest and treatment.

Grizzly

Jordan Thompson is already in Hobart playing for the Hurricanes if England need an exciting all rounder to replace the Ginger Ninja!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Jordan Thompson is already in Hobart playing for the Hurricanes if England need an exciting all rounder to replace the Ginger Ninja!
He’s a decent little player. Performed very well for Yorkshire in the past season. He was a junior at Pudsey St Lawrence when I was playing there. Dad was an amazing player too.

Grizzly

He’s a decent little player. Performed very well for Yorkshire in the past season. He was a junior at Pudsey St Lawrence when I was playing there. Dad was an amazing player too.
He's been decent for a couple of years, and he is the kind of cricketer who seems to make things happen. The yard of pace he put on last year convinced me he might have an international future!

sunshine

I admire your optimism but what do you base that statement on? Unless Malan and Root keep being allowed to bat instead of others, they could take places 1-6 :LOL:, and our bowlers find a way to stop the Aussies I'm seeing nothing in those first two games that suggest anything other than 5-0.

Throw me a crumb of comfort.
Oh ye of little faith.

2. There must be some rain forecast at some point. It does rain in Australia sometimes.
3. We took this [2nd] test match all the way to the final session. There must be hope we can last one session longer in the next 3 matches to scrape a backs to the wall draw.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Oh ye of little faith.

2. There must be some rain forecast at some point. It does rain in Australia sometimes.
3. We took this [2nd] test match all the way to the final session. There must be hope we can last one session longer in the next 3 matches to scrape a backs to the wall draw.
Ha ha. I'm not sure my slice of humble pie is a very big piece 😆. 3-0 down and scraped a draw in the 4th test in the scrapeiest fashion. Fair point though, it can't be 5-0 now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Think England need a big performance in the last test if only to carry any sort shred of confidence going forward into the next test series. Really not sure Root can keep the captaincy. Seems out of nick, devoid of any tactical nous to change a game or to inspire

Thread starter #2,492

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Think England need a big performance in the last test if only to carry any sort shred of confidence going forward into the next test series. Really not sure Root can keep the captaincy. Seems out of nick, devoid of any tactical nous to change a game or to inspire

wish we had 5 others as out of nick as the guy whos just scored the 3rd highest test runs in a calendar year ever lol

Thread starter #2,494

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
But has he led from the front in this series and has he shown any leadership capabilities to change a game. Seems happy at times to let the game drift.
as posted time after time, who you replacing him with?

is he a good captain? no
is he pretty much the only current option? yes

thankless task scoring 50% of the runs and being expected to lead that rabble game after game

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
as posted time after time, who you replacing him with?

is he a good captain? no
is he pretty much the only current option? yes

thankless task scoring 50% of the runs and being expected to lead that rabble game after game
No idea who you replace him with but surely now is the time to change. Clearly, irrespective of his own contribution with the bat. there is a failing as a leader. Stokes as an option. He's done it a few time has he not? If Billings comes in with the gloves could he be a candidate going forward?

Thread starter #2,496

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
No idea who you replace him with but surely now is the time to change. Clearly, irrespective of his own contribution with the bat. there is a failing as a leader. Stokes as an option. He's done it a few time has he not? If Billings comes in with the gloves could he be a candidate going forward?

Stokes is an awful awful captain, not fit and likely to play little test cricket going forward as he plays more white ball cricket, think weve learnt the lesson with trying to give the star all rounder the captaincy too

Billings just lol. Not close to the first choice team, another white ball cricketer and about 5th choice keeper

Next summer test series, those assured of a place is probably Root, Andersen and Bairstow assuming Stokes probably not fit. Every other place in the side is or at least should be up for grabs

Last edited:
Thread starter #2,497

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
One outside option could be someone like Woakes at least for the home summer, assuming theyre happy to give it to a bowler, albeit little captaincy experience (as do most of them sadly)

sunshine

Stokes is an awful awful captain, not fit and likely to play little test cricket going forward as he plays more white ball cricket, think weve learnt the lesson with trying to give the start all rounder the captaincy too

Billings just lol. Not close to the first choice team, another white ball cricketer and about 5th choice keeper

Next summer test series, those assured of a place is probably Root, Andersen and Bairstow assuming Stokes probably not fit. Every other place in the side is or at least should be up for grabs
Agree.

But it's even worse, because I don't think Anderson and Bairstow are assured of a place. Jimmy will be rotated, Jonny could well be dropped, and Benny is bound to get injured.

Interesting stat on BBC that Bairstow's century was the first time he had passed 60 for 37 innings. That's not top order material.

So Root is left as the only guaranteed pick, and therefore the only possible captain.