The Cricket Thread

greenone

Visit site
That's why Scotland are so bad at it. Literally (@Lord Tyrion) everyone who's ever played cricket is in the national squad.... :ROFLMAO:
15-20 years ago the only place in the UK with more cricket teams per head of population higher than Aberdeen/shire was Yorkshire. It soon changed when kids couldn't see it on terrestrial TV.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rain looking like Englands MVP this week, hes got a big few days ahead to secure a draw :)

I did wonder if Australia were trying to make a game of it by winning the toss and choosing to bat on a greenish wicket with cloudy conditions. Maybe they're fed up winning so easily and wanted more of a challenge.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe the ECB need to think outside the box, the current status isn't working so a radical change may be the best way forward as little tweaks are unlikely to change much going forward

What does this actually improve apart from getting a huge marketing budget and the ECB actually considering games in the summer (things they could do with the county champs immediately), all it does is rename div 1, alienate the div 2 counties, allow more overseas players in whilst still relying on the counties to do all the work in actually running the game, developing players etc. Oh yeah it takes 100% control to the ecb not the counties. Lets run down the current version making it impossible to succeed then create a white elephant, been such a success for the undred lets do it again haha

I agree the ECB do need to think outside the box, this isnt thinking outside the box, this is just remarketing and rescheduling what already exists whilst centralising financial control to enable some very large egos to be paid lots of money for a rebrand!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Pietersen spouting off about a 100 franchise style of championship. https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...fit-from-a-hundred-style-red-ball-competition

Definitely not the way forward in my eyes

I agree, not the way forward. He’s proposing bringing in overseas players for England’s players to learn from. How do England’s next generation of players learn when they’re unlikely to be included in such an elitist set-up?

First of all, I’d do away with central contracts. Secondly, ‘England’s players should be active in the County Championship, a) to keep themselves sharp, and b) to give up and coming players the chance to shine against England’s best. Thirdly, look at how the best cricketing nations in the world have structured their domestic game and pinch the best ideas from there.

Finally, has the set up in England changed that much in the last 5 years? Yes, some tweaking with the structure is needed but the short version is there’s currently a dirth of talent. Why aren’t decent county level players coming through? Maybe because there isn’t enough emphasis placed on the county set-up/games. Instead of chasing every £ and developing other forms of the game, maybe accept that the county game should be targeted.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, not the way forward. He’s proposing bringing in overseas players for England’s players to learn from. How do England’s next generation of players learn when they’re unlikely to be included in such an elitist set-up?

First of all, I’d do away with central contracts. Secondly, ‘England’s players should be active in the County Championship, a) to keep themselves sharp, and b) to give up and coming players the chance to shine against England’s best. Thirdly, look at how the best cricketing nations in the world have structured their domestic game and pinch the best ideas from there.

Finally, has the set up in England changed that much in the last 5 years? Yes, some tweaking with the structure is needed but the short version is there’s currently a dirth of talent. Why aren’t decent county level players coming through? Maybe because there isn’t enough emphasis placed on the county set-up/games. Instead of chasing every £ and developing other forms of the game, maybe accept that the county game should be targeted.

The central contracts are a bit of an issue. Kids see their favourite players play for England and then ask to see them at club level. Great, another convert to cricket but no as the England players rarely play any club cricket. Having the England players on duty would be a good first step into getting kids to watch long format county cricket.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The central contracts are a bit of an issue. Kids see their favourite players play for England and then ask to see them at club level. Great, another convert to cricket but no as the England players rarely play any club cricket. Having the England players on duty would be a good first step into getting kids to watch long format county cricket.

why do you need a franchise structure for the england players to play at that level, what you need to do is reduce the schedules (not adding more formats as the ecb currently are)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
why do you need a franchise structure for the england players to play at that level, what you need to do is reduce the schedules (not adding more formats as the ecb currently are)

Don't need a franchised structure (not sure I said you did). What would help is releasing England players back to their counties more often so as supporters can see them play. That would also allow more players to be exposed to test cricket as they fill in the gaps left by established players who are back at their county.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't need a franchised structure (not sure I said you did). What would help is releasing England players back to their counties more often so as supporters can see them play. That would also allow more players to be exposed to test cricket as they fill in the gaps left by established players who are back at their county.

wasnt saying you did but theres a rhetoric that reducing the number of sides via a franchise structure will mean the england internationals play at this level in red ball cricket, the only way that happens is a reduction in how much cricket those players are required to play across 4 formats at international franchise and county levels and that only comes from a complete schedule rewrite which isnt happening

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In some proper matches today…

Bangladesh put an end to Kiwi’s winning streak in test…

India v SA wonderfully poised for tomorrow.

sunshine

Visit site
I can confess to a degree of schadenfreude in the aftermath of an England cricket defeat. I enjoy watching the cricket but also the collective hand-wringing afterwards.

Consequently, I've read a few things over the last couple of days and most, like the comments in here, tend to be quite superficial; whether it's critcising the coaching or the domestic schedule. However, I found this article interesting as it takes a step back and, I think, makes a few reasonable observations that might point to a longer term problem with no quick fix. Basically highlighting access to the game at grassroots, lack of free to air tv coverage and, frankly, racism such as has been demonstrated at Yorkshire.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/29/english-cricket-disarray-ashes-shambles-brexit

I hesitate to post it because of the brexit observation in the closing paragraph which is potentially contentious on here. Ignore that since whether you agree with it or not it's superfluous to the main thrust of the piece which is essentially that cricket needs to become more accessible and egalitarian at all levels if your national team is to thrive at the pinnacle.

Thanks for sharing - I don't agree with anything in the article, but it's good to read a different point of view.

I think we need to remember that England are the current ODI World Champions. They were also comfortably the best team at the T20 World Cup, but sadly that tournament was decided by a coin toss rather than cricket. Cricket in England is alive and well!

About 15 years ago, the ECB set out a goal for England to be the top test team - and this was achieved in 2011. During that period, the white ball form suffered, so the ECB set a goal to be the top ODI team - and this was achieved in 2018. But look what's happened to the test team. It's all about focus and allocation of resources, but it takes several years to develop the talent coming through.

If we want to discuss a real decline, then let's look at the West Indies, which dominated the game through the 80s into the mid-90s but is now an absolute shambles.

One thing I will agree though, is the structural racism / lack of inclusivity which has hindered the development of ethnic minority talent at county level. It's not necessarily overt racism, but there is clearly something hindering ethnic minorities transitioning to the elite game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If we want to discuss a real decline, then let's look at the West Indies, which dominated the game through the 80s into the mid-90s but is now an absolute shambles.

One thing I will agree though, is the structural racism / lack of inclusivity which has hindered the development of ethnic minority talent at county level. It's not necessarily overt racism, but there is clearly something hindering ethnic minorities transitioning to the elite game.

But wasn't a lot of that to do with the board and rows with the team so players were unavailable for selection or chose not to play?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
South Africa getting closer to the target set by India to win. Chased this with good intent so far.

Pitch is doing loads. Overhead conditions are bowler friendly and there could be rain. Weather forecast looks very iffy tomorrow too.

40 runs to get with 7 wickets in hand......

Seen this movie before.:oops::oops:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
South Africa getting closer to the target set by India to win. Chased this with good intent so far.

Pitch is doing loads. Overhead conditions are bowler friendly and there could be rain. Weather forecast looks very iffy tomorrow too.

40 runs to get with 7 wickets in hand......

Seen this movie before.:oops::oops:

not evens the saffers.......