The Cricket Thread

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't followed the build-up as much as I usually do, because it's on BT Sport, not something I have. Looking at the wicket from the small BBC clips, it looks green. What's the reason for not playing Broad?

I look at the England team and just see holes everywhere. The Aussies aren't brilliant, but they should have far too much for us.

D

Deleted member 15344

Haven't followed the build-up as much as I usually do, because it's on BT Sport, not something I have. Looking at the wicket from the small BBC clips, it looks green. What's the reason for not playing Broad?

I look at the England team and just see holes everywhere. The Aussies aren't brilliant, but they should have far too much for us.

No idea what the reason for not playing Broad - imo this will be the last series for Root as captain and also Silverwood - neither good enough

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The decision not to play Broad is an odd one given his successes against the Australian top order. I get that they are thinking about the rest of the series, but gifting the first Test to the opposition doesn’t really set a winning tone, does it?

Really, really strange decisions all round.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lot of people claiming theyd have bowled first after the event, werent too many before hand doing so. Think its very hard to choose to bowl on the first day of the Ashes at Brisbane. Root wouldve taken far more flack if hed bowled first and they been 300-3 a la Hussain lol. Was a good toss to lose tbh, Aus wouldve batted too. State of our batting a far bigger issue than the decision to bat first imo

sunshine

Visit site
Very poor. Need a miracle or weather intervention. Perhaps shouldn't be surprised given the lack of first class cricket these players have had and ludicrous to think they can simply rock up with and perform. I know the warm up games were weather affected but even so when was the last time they played red ball cricket in a competitive game.

I think this team could have had 10 warm up games and it wouldn't change a thing. The batting order is ridiculously fragile for the test arena. One world class batsman, a few inconsistent players who can be good on their day, and then a few making up the numbers. Root is the only player with a batting average over 40.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think this team could have had 10 warm up games and it wouldn't change a thing. The batting order is ridiculously fragile for the test arena. One world class batsman, a few inconsistent players who can be good on their day, and then a few making up the numbers. Root is the only player with a batting average over 40.

Can't argue but surely that comes back to the board deciding that white ball cricket is now the holy grail and a lack of proper preparation and adequate test games to build up before the Ashes gave the flakey players no time in the middle to try and find any sort of form

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Watching a couple of replays of dismissals, I noticed how green the pitch seemed to be.
I hope it's similar condition for Aus's 1st innings!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
There was a comment on BBC Sport that England have been let down by the batting, fielding, injuries and lack of preparation. So everything bar the bowling, then.

One thing I have found really odd in the last couple of years is Silverwood and Root’s new found fascination with resting and rotating players. Whilst there are times I understand the need, it has become the norm.

It’s not as though these players play excessive amounts of first class cricket any more, and the off-field support they get in terms of diet, nutrition and conditioning is something players of thirty years ago could only dream about. In those days most played first class cricket between Test matches.

Now we have centrally contracted players, playing little or no first class cricket, a number of whom seem to require two weeks’ rest after a couple of days in the field. I do wonder whether the lengthy periods of inactivity and resulting lack of match fitness actually contribute towards injuries, rather than helping prevent them.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There was a comment on BBC Sport that England have been let down by the batting, fielding, injuries and lack of preparation. So everything bar the bowling, then.

One thing I have found really odd in the last couple of years is Silverwood and Root’s new found fascination with resting and rotating players. Whilst there are times I understand the need, it has become the norm.

It’s not as though these players play excessive amounts of first class cricket any more, and the off-field support they get in terms of diet, nutrition and conditioning is something players of thirty years ago could only dream about. In those days most played first class cricket between Test matches.

Now we have centrally contracted players, playing little or no first class cricket, a number of whom seem to require two weeks’ rest after a couple of days in the field. I do wonder whether the lengthy periods of inactivity and resulting lack of match fitness actually contribute towards injuries, rather than helping prevent them.

Corona + bubbles.

We only see them on match days, but they have to stay in bio bubbles. Must be maddening when you have to sit in hotel rooms, train, eat, train, play repeat.

D

Deleted member 15344

Leach got pounded all over the park - but it’s no surprise when I can’t recall the last time he played any sort of cricket for anyone - it’s a joke tbh , I’m not sure what England expect , the whole organisation of the red ball stuff is appalling and it’s no surprise we lose series after series

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good day for England. if they can last until lunch tomorrow without losing a wicket could be an interesting last 5 sessions
Finally, I thought I could come on and see what people had posted :LOL:. I haven't seen any coverage, don't have BT sport, and so am just seeing the bare bones. Great to see both Malan and Root getting scores and not letting the Aussies simply steam roller us. Also good to see that the openers at least got a start, Hameed going the furthest. All crucial to the series.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not good that the England Lions are also getting stuffed by Australia A - all out for 103!!! No outstanding players that we can call on when the main squad fail/get injured

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Finally, I thought I could come on and see what people had posted :LOL:. I haven't seen any coverage, don't have BT sport, and so am just seeing the bare bones. Great to see both Malan and Root getting scores and not letting the Aussies simply steam roller us. Also good to see that the openers at least got a start, Hameed going the furthest. All crucial to the series.
I invested in BT Sport via Sky for 1 month £27. Thought it was food value with The Prem League games coming up, including the toffees, and Champions League, excluding the toffees! Hope Paulj does not come a get me banned for that comment