The Cricket Thread

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I’d put money on there being a full on parliamentary type report ordered to look into racism in cricket as a whole. The stories will come flooding out soon enough.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow. This testimony from Azeem is powerful stuff. Names being named and there will be rats scurrying up drainpipes as I type.

It really is. About the only person who has not been hit is Root and even then it was implied that he has turned a blind eye to what was going on. Guessing a few comentators and pundits will be cancelling their tickets for Australia this Winter.

This really is shocking and to now hear that it is going on at Leicestershire where my 17 year old Nephew plays is hugely shocking.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Rafiq has now had to apologise for anti-Semitic messages that he sent 10 years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59338118

Oh dear. Not squeaky clean himself, either. Can’t say I’m that surprised.

What does surprise me is that he didn’t air this himself first - he must have known that the press and media would have been going over his social media with a fine tooth comb. I don’t doubt they’ve known about this for some time.

D

Deleted member 15344

So where does it all go from here..?
What a mess
Going to get worse

Rafiq made a lot of accusations and brought a lot of players staff etc into it

There are going to get more come out of the woodwork and more counter stuff about Rafiq

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Oh dear. Not squeaky clean himself, either. Can’t say I’m that surprised.

What does surprise me is that he didn’t air this himself first - he must have known that the press and media would have been going over his social media with a fine tooth comb. I don’t doubt they’ve known about this for some time.
Expecting more of the same from Rafiq to come out of the woodwork in the next few weeks. It will certainly damage his case vs Yorkshire and may save the likes of Vaughan who will argue that he was equally as guilty. Let he who casts the first stone and all that. Going to get messy

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another year, another Australian captain blubbing at a presser! :cool:

Let's face it, Tim Paine was punching above his weight cricketing wise.

Weird it's all come out now given it was 4 years ago and investigated by CA at the time.

He won't get the gloves for the Ashes. Carey or Wade will.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
And just when you thought the world couldn't possibly get any screwier...

Tim Paine quits as Australia captain after sending explicit messages to female co-worker
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...explicit-messages-to-female-co-worker-1290071

From the article;

A subsequent statement by Cricket Tasmania said the allegations had only been brought to their attention when theft charges were laid against the employee in mid-2018 and that no complaint had been made at the time of the messages in November 2017.

"As soon as Cricket Tasmania was made aware, it undertook an investigation that determined the interaction was consensual, private, occurred on the one occasion only, was between mature adults and was not repeated," Cricket Tasmania chairman Andrew Gaggin said.

"Cricket Tasmania clearly does not condone this type of behaviour and addressed the matter directly with Tim Paine. However, because of the consensual nature of the actions it was determined that no further action was required or appropriate."

It could be a good time to be a sword manufacturer, because if these are the standards on which people are going to be judged now, there's going to be an awful lot of swords needed for people to fall onto, and I probably need to get one before the price goes up....

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
There appears to be a photograph doing the rounds which I will not post, of Rafiq wearing a green shirt. There is a well known Irish bookmaker that uses a logo in green; the first word of that logo (a generic term for someone of Irish heritage) has been replaced with a similar & apparently unacceptable term for someone of Pakistani heritage.

I say apparently unacceptable, because, assuming the photo hasn't been doctored, I'm struggling to see how that can be on a shirt worn by someone who complains about the use of the same word. Help me out here...

D

Deleted member 15344

There appears to be a photograph doing the rounds which I will not post, of Rafiq wearing a green shirt. There is a well known Irish bookmaker that uses a logo in green; the first word of that logo (a generic term for someone of Irish heritage) has been replaced with a similar & apparently unacceptable term for someone of Pakistani heritage.

I say apparently unacceptable, because, assuming the photo hasn't been doctored, I'm struggling to see how that can be on a shirt worn by someone who complains about the use of the same word. Help me out here...

It’s the old “owning the word” reason or should I say excuse.

The same reason they give for Spurs using the Y word