The Cricket Thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Looks like Rashid has also now confirmed that Vaughan did make the racist comments that he used his media influence to so vehemontly deny. Not looking good.

I will not lose a single moment’s sleep if this ends Vaughan’s broadcasting career. Horrible, arrogant man.

www.hiltonpark.net
I will not lose a single moment’s sleep if this ends Vaughan’s broadcasting career. Horrible, arrogant man.
You see that's the problem with this. It's trial by media and that's not right. I know many will be happy to skewer Vaughan because they don't like him but that's not the way it should be done. Feels like a lot of score settling to me.

Billysboots

Visit site
You see that's the problem with this. It's trial by media and that's not right. I know many will be happy to skewer Vaughan because they don't like him but that's not the way it should be done. Feels like a lot of score settling to me.

I don’t normally like trial by media. But in Vaughan’s case I am more than willing to make an exception. The hypocrisy after his comments relating to Ollie Robinson is breathtaking.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I am also not a fan of trial by media but, in this case, he invited it by using his column and social media presence to put forward a defence based on documenation that nobody had seen. By using his media presence to try and exonerate himself before any formal claims had been made public and before the public had the information available to challenge his defence, he then opened himself up to those involved challenging his story. He claims not to have made the comments, 3 people now have said that, actually, he did.

Billysboots

Visit site
I am also not a fan of trial by media but, in this case, he invited it by using his column and social media presence to put forward a defence based on documenation that nobody had seen. By using his media presence to try and exonerate himself before any formal claims had been made public and before the public had the information available to challenge his defence, he then opened himself up to those involved challenging his story. He claims not to have made the comments, 3 people now have said that, actually, he did.

This. Exactly this.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can anyone more knowledgeable than me (not difficult) explain where any benefit exists when batting first in a T20 match. Unless there is some predicted change in conditions (rare) fielding first means you have seen how the pitch performs, you know the score that you are going for, you know whether you need to go all out or whether you can ease your way into the innings. I just cannot see any benefit in batting first (it is not as if the pitch will deteriorate to make the job ofr the other team harder) in this short format.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Can anyone more knowledgeable than me (not difficult) explain where any benefit exists when batting first in a T20 match. Unless there is some predicted change in conditions (rare) fielding first means you have seen how the pitch performs, you know the score that you are going for, you know whether you need to go all out or whether you can ease your way into the innings. I just cannot see any benefit in batting first (it is not as if the pitch will deteriorate to make the job ofr the other team harder) in this short format.

There was perpetual mention of the dew coming in & the ball skidding on & getting wet which would meet your predicted conditions change, but like you I'm not overly knowledgeable where cricket is concerned; my cricket-loving Uncle nicknamed me "Slasher" after watching my batting "technique"...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Scoreboard pressure. The equivalent in golf would be matchplay, you play first into a green and get the chance to put your ball closest to the hole. That puts pressure on the player going second.

In cricket, the idea would be that the batsmen can play with freedom batting first, there is no need to fixate on runs per over required. The pressure of trying to keep up with a run rate can make people play daft shots, push things too hard. Equally, bowling second the bowlers can adapt, either trying to push for wickets or simply try to be economical.

You can look at it either way. Some teams are better at batting first and squeezing the team batting second, some prefer to chase a score down. All of this can go out of the window when you are in a location where the toss changes everything. That is not good for the game.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The main time batting first is an advantage is on very tired used pitches where as the game goes on the effect of the roller wears off and the pitches become slower and spin more making batting harder, you do get pitches that get worse through a T20 game though less and less occurrences these days

The other perceived advantage is putting up a big total on a flat wicket and putting the pressure on the other side to chase these down, the longer T20 goes the less this seems to have an impact as sides get used to chasing bigger and bigger totals

If theres any chance of a lively pitch first up or dew later on then bowling first can be a massive advantage

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

One key aspect is that the side batting second know the tempo to score at.

www.hiltonpark.net
Not good, not good at all. Time for Essex to take some action rather than just releasing statements too :(

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics...e_chambers_recalls_racism_county_cricket.html
I can't not imagine this doesn't involve pretty much every club.
I think it's important to distinguish between what are the institutional issues that prevent ethnic minority players progressing in the game and the casual racism, such as Vaughan's alleged wording, which is endemic in society.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I can't not imagine this doesn't involve pretty much every club.
I think it's important to distinguish between what are the institutional issues that prevent ethnic minority players progressing in the game and the casual racism, such as Vaughan's alleged wording, which is endemic in society.

I'm nt sure why anyone would be surprised if it does.

Racism is not a cricket problem or a golf problem; it's a societal problem and so anything that society takes part in runs the risk of being racist to some extent or another.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must be naive in this. I would be surprised if the problem was across all counties. I'm not saying it isn't, I wouldn't know, but I would genuinely be shocked.

I was playing back in the 80's and 90's, north west of England then north east. Teams had players from all races playing, the same applied as you went up the ladder up to the county teams being talked about. Cricket was mixed and integrated, changing rooms were mixed and integrated. There was respect across nations, races, cultures in those changing rooms.

For a cricketer, club or county to have racist issues staggers me, it really does. Saddens and staggers me.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I must be naive in this. I would be surprised if the problem was across all counties. I'm not saying it isn't, I wouldn't know, but I would genuinely be shocked.

I was playing back in the 80's and 90's, north west of England then north east. Teams had players from all races playing, the same applied as you went up the ladder up to the county teams being talked about. Cricket was mixed and integrated, changing rooms were mixed and integrated. There was respect across nations, races, cultures in those changing rooms.

For a cricketer, club or county to have racist issues staggers me, it really does. Saddens and staggers me.
I would be surprised if it wasn’t all clubs.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would be surprised if it wasn’t all clubs.
Certainly going to be interested to see if something happens with Somerset - reading the books of Botham and listening to the likes of Garner etc it seems it was a nice environment there for them but there was an issue with Overton 6 years ago in a match telling someone to go back to their home country