Covid Rules

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Has anyone seen any indication as to when (or if) the Covid protocols will be lifted?

Specifically the ones regarding LRs for placing in bunkers due to no rakes and the completion of cards by a single person?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The bunker rakes will be interesting.

Speaking to some BIGGA members, they prefer no rakes as the sand distribution is better in bunkers when members/guests aren’t taking bunkers poorly and just leaving it for green staff to complete every morning. Will be interesting if some clubs done return rakes

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

Speaking to some BIGGA members, they prefer no rakes as the sand distribution is better in bunkers when members/guests aren’t taking bunkers poorly and just leaving it for green staff to complete every morning. Will be interesting if some clubs done return rakes

I would very much doubt that
preferred lies in bunkers will extend beyond this year. in which case rakes will be re'-'introduced otherwise there would be a huge advantage for those with early morning tee times.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would very much doubt that
preferred lies in bunkers will extend beyond this year. in which case rakes will be re'-'introduced otherwise there would be a huge advantage for those with early morning tee times.
Possibly but the R&A are hard-over on play the ball as it lies so I guess they will want to move away from placing ASAP.

Some clubs demand the use of personal rakes so that may be a way forward?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Every morning wow!!

Our greens programme is that they are done twice a week.

D-S

Visit site
Possibly but the R&A are hard-over on play the ball as it lies so I guess they will want to move away from placing ASAP.

Some clubs demand the use of personal rakes so that may be a way forward?
We insist on personal rakes. £10 to buy, £5 for visitors to hire if they want - we require 1 per 4 ball for visitors and all members must carry one.
It was a bit of a hassle introducing it but we're glad we did as it feels like proper golf.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anyone seen any indication as to when (or if) the Covid protocols will be lifted?

Specifically the ones regarding LRs for placing in bunkers due to no rakes and the completion of cards by a single person?

At our county meeting yesterday the EG rep said that Play Safe Golf instructions are being updated in the next week or so.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would be nice if we are allowed to take flagsticks out again and get rid of these silly ball lifting devices. I know it is a concession we had to make to allow clubs to be open but putting with the flag in really puts me off. And also with these lifting devices it makes the hole so small that unless the stick is completely upright or leaning away the ball won't drop anyway!

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would be nice if we are allowed to take flagsticks out again and get rid of these silly ball lifting devices. I know it is a concession we had to make to allow clubs to be open but putting with the flag in really puts me off. And also with these lifting devices it makes the hole so small that unless the stick is completely upright or leaning away the ball won't drop anyway!

Should have got a better (and cheaper) option in the first place.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would agree to a certain extent but a couple of big advantages I have noticed is that there is less hole damage and a big reduction in crowned holes.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I would agree to a certain extent but a couple of big advantages I have noticed is that there is less hole damage and a big reduction in crowned holes.

I found the opposite in respect of hole damage.

People would lift the lifters out of the hole and just let them drop under gravity back down....all too often they would catch the edge on their way down and destroy it.

I nearly lost it one day when I watched one member literally rip the lifting device upwards with his putter so violently that he was able to catch the ball at waist height...how I controlled the red mist whilst explaining to him that his actions were not in the best interest of the hole (showing him the gouge in the edge of the hole that he'd made) in as calm a manner as I could muster I don't know.

His response?...."who the **** are you to tell me what to do?"

As soon as they are removed it will be for the better.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Pool noodles are much better than any mechanical lifters. Cut the noodle such that the top of it is 2 inches below the surface of the green. Very effective and much less expensive! $10 for a six month supply.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pool noodles are much better than any mechanical lifters. Cut the noodle such that the top of it is 2 inches below the surface of the green. Very effective and much less expensive! $10 for a six month supply.

We started off with them there were two main problems - bounce out and they float when there is water in the hole.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

We had those issues but about October the club sourced and fitted these pins.
Very narrow at the bottom and bounce outs are a thing of the past. Doubt I would want to go back to taking the pin out.Screenshot_20210301-080228_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: