Courses without practice facilities - warming up

LeeTurner

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The course I play a couple of times a week has no practice facilities at all - not even nets. Apart from that it's a decent 18 hole course.
Ironically the drive off the first is usually my best shot of the day but it's the subsequent iron(s) into the green that's the issue.
Whilst my driver and woods are pretty consistent without any warm up, the mid irons tend to take 3 to 4 holes to get any sort of rhythm going which is costing shots.
Knowing me it's probably now becoming a psychological issue but just wondering what other people do to warm up with different clubs when there are no facilities.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
How far from the course do you live??

If its only a few minutes and you have room at home to swing / loosen up then that may help.

Ive swung a weighted club in the carpark before now (momentus)
then thrown it back in the boot.

seems to help

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've used a local driving range in the past if its a big tournament or an open.

Me too.

Although we have 2 nets (only) course side, you feel rushed out of them when others are hanging around waiting for you to come out.

I personally would like to warm up in the nets for at least 15-20 minutes but you have no chance with so many people milling around them.

As such, I will go to my local independent range and hit a half basket but then its a 20 minute drive to the course!

Our chipping area is very good but we need more nets in that area or we should be allowed to go into our Academy shed if its not being used.

We have our own open range just down the road (no woods allowed though) but getting your balls back is a pain and on Saturdays it has large group teaching programmes going on.

LeeTurner

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is one of those problems that a bit of common sense should solve but that normally goes out of the window when standing on the tee.

I do find that I initially rush the tempo on the irons and by the 4th have usually slowed it down.

The course is a 15 minute drive away and the nearest driving range around 30 minutes away so not really an option. I really do think that courses should at least have a net facility.

I'm going there in about 1 hour so maybe try and spend a little longer over the first iron shot. As I mentioned in the original post the usually bad first iron is now becoming an issue as I've started to expect it so probably tense a bit more before the shot. Unfortunately I can't take an iron off the first tee as it is a 90 degree dogleg that needs 220 carry to set up for the 2nd. The problem is then compounded as the 2nd hole is an 8 iron par 3.
So lately I've found myself behind after the first 2 holes and playing catch up whilst wondering if I'll hit a decent iron shot on the first 9.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Net in the garden?

I had a mate make one for less than £50.00 and its amazing.

Bought an old gazebo and modified the frame and then purchased a load of netting from a garden centre and some astro turf which he's had for about a year now and is still going strong.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can understand your pain. As it seems to be more a tempo issue. Try swinging 2 clubs held together for 5/10 minutes. Just to get the tempo/rhythm going. Helps to loosen you up as well. Works for me(well most of the time).

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I also have this problem and normally struggle with first holes as I'm a (need to hit practice shots first) type of guy, really annoying and can cost me shots at the end of the round. It's even been as bad as 8 on the par 5 first then a birdie 3 on the second lol

LeeTurner

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's a strange game. After posting I then went out and had one of the best first 10 holes I've had on this course:confused:.
I consciously slowed the iron swings down for the first few shots and it seemed to help. The routine was tested on the first hole when an old guy who was sitting on a bench watching the previous pair tee off decided to go for a walk down the fairway after they'd played their shots. As he had a bad limp this took around 10 minutes. Deep breaths and all that.....