Courses between Manchester and St Andrews

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Will be driving up on Sunday 3rd April. Ideally looking to stop after 2.5/3 hours. Seen a few but would like some recommendations.

Thanks.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want to stop earlier then Carlisle is well liked.

Keeping to your initial thought, West Lothian GC at Linlithgow. A really smashing course that will not break the bank.

The Lion

Visit site
Cumbria has many fantastic courses within 20 mins or so of the M6. Take your pick from Windermere, Kendal, Appleby, Carlisle, Brampton, Penrith or the legendary Silloth.

Over the border, Powfoot and Moffat are your best bets near the M74.

Happy to fill in the detail of any of these.

But could I suggest a leftfield idea…turn off the M74 at Moffat and take the A708 to Selkirk, a drive through lovely mountainous moorland country, with the Grey Mare’s Tail waterfall making a beautiful stop. Then play Selkirk’s lovely moorland 9-holer twice.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would avoid Kendal at all costs. Carlisle is class 5 minutes from Motorway. Lochmaben just over the border. Over 3 hours is Lanark, has been an Open Qualifying, highly recommended. Silloth is too much of a detour but difficult to beat

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Silloth on Solway is a great links course, it's been mentioned on this site many times before. I played there quite a while back now but I remember really enjoying it.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Played Silloth a fair bit so was wanting to tick a different course off. Will look at West Linton, Lanark and Selkirk. (y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cant suggest many as I've not played that many down south, but morton Hall is a good shout, better than most of the others Edinburgh way. Also Dunfermline isn't bad and literally over the bridge.. but you have to remember parkland courses will still be suffering from winter North of the border, esp Central belt. I know I'm a links snob, but I would detour and go for a game at a links.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Played Silloth a fair bit so was wanting to tick a different course off. Will look at West Linton, Lanark and Selkirk. (y)

Ignore Selkirk, go to Hawick few blind drives, but epic views...

And actually in the direct route between Carlisle and Edinburgh (as is Selkirk...)

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Ignore Selkirk, go to Hawick few blind drives, but epic views...

And actually in the direct route between Carlisle and Edinburgh (as is Selkirk...)
Hawick, another course I love. 16 holes up and two down, a board running the length of the 5th fairway to stop your ball running down the hill back to the clubhouse. Love it.

The Lion

Visit site
I would avoid Kendal at all costs. Carlisle is class 5 minutes from Motorway. Lochmaben just over the border. Over 3 hours is Lanark, has been an Open Qualifying, highly recommended. Silloth is too much of a detour but difficult to beat

Kendal is great - some super fun holes, and good exercise!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
West Linton is very nice, double par 3 finish if I remember correctly.
Agree it's a nice course and it's on the way (to Edinburgh). You could be right about the finish, certainly the 17th is as I remember carving one of the 1st ProV1s I bought OB from the tee! :oops:
The Roxburghe might be a possibility, but I last played it many years ago and haven't heard much about it since.

D

Deleted member 25575

Im a member at West Linton, would recommend. Its a moorland course and actually a hell of a lot dryer than the parkland courses round this way.

And yes 2 par 3's to finish, long ones too, the 17th is 200ish and 18th 240ish usually playing similar clubs as the prevailling wind is normally into 17 and with 18.