Couple of questions...

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am currently on the 3rd lesson of a btach of six and am getting loads of positives from them so far. Looking forward to a long summers golfing.

One of the things that I have finally got an understanding of is swing speed. In a nutsheel mine was far to fast to have any control of. The only thing I have to find now is my ideal speed for a normal shot. On a scale of 1-10 I probally was at an 8-9 maybe even a 10 at times but now I have to find what speed suits me. Was thinking 4-5/10 to start with and then after some practice maybe make it 6-7/10.

Just wondering others think about their swing speed.

As Im allowed to highjack my own thread and with the hope of opening a whole can of worms I have a question about GPS systems.
Im not intereseted in people who think there rubbish etc etc ( but feel free to post anyway) Thats not the nature of the post. I am going to buy one to help my game. My question is whats the best way to see them working. They are not cheap and I want to give them a good look before buying as Im in no rush to buy. For example can I go to AG and ask to see one working. I have looked at the sonacaddie v300 online and it looks good. I suppose I am looking for personal recommendations aswell.

On an other point is it possible to go straight from lounge area to out of bounds area without going through the main index? I may be missing something easy, hope so, cause its a pain in the hole.

And while Im at it can somebody move the games calander to a sticky, have been told twice that it will be and still nothing. Its a good link and a quick way for someone checking for any games arranged if they dont check the forum everyday.

As for the search function.......how fecking hard is it to use. Again I dont get it. Its certainly no google.

Thanks in advance.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know a few Pro Shops that have a demo Skycaddie and Bushnell and will let you take them out for a trial round....you really need to take them out onto the course to see them in proper action.....I'm in the Bushnell camp now but I did have a Skycaddie but (as I play lots of courses) got fed up having to download the courses all the time (if you play a regular 10 courses then they are great)...Bushnell is just point and go to wherever you are to whereever you want to or even do want to go to....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
GPS question - depends what you're after. The Sonocaddie and others of a similar style give you an overhead shot of the hole, loads of distances and in full colour. Loads of info (maybe too much?).
Cheaper options include the Skycaddie SG2.5 that I've got. Yes there's a 30 quid a year subs for it but it only costs 150 quid to buy. It gives distances to the front, middle and back of the green, distances to hazards, distances to carry hazards and suggests lay-up yardages too. Its black and white and does the job for me. To be honest, most of the time I'm after the middle of the green yardage and distance to hazards.
The more singing and dancing units do more but cost more. So you really take your pick and pay your money. You wont be sorry with any of them.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Evening Farneyman,
Ill just have to reply on the swing as i dont use a GPS.
I swing pretty hard at the ball and this is maybe why im a little wayward at times.....Im working on a smoother tempo at the moment not necessarily slowing it down but making the whole lot flow...Im finding it a little awkward but im going to persevere with it until it clicks....

Im not trying ti hijack a thread here but it may answer a question that someone else may be thinking of or even yourself...
If you were to slow down your swing then would this warrant a shaft change in all clubs if those clubs had been custom fitted for your faster swing......
Its one for thought i suppose.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening Farneyman,

If you were to slow down your swing then would this warrant a shaft change in all clubs if those clubs had been custom fitted for your faster swing......
Its one for thought i suppose.

Good point I intend getting custom fit in about 12/18 months and hope to have some form of repeatable swing by then.

SharkAttack

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Surely the pro who is giving you the lessons should be slowing your swing down if he thinks it is not ideal. I would also have thought that if he thought it is to fast to control then this should have been dealt with by now. No good swing looks out of control, they always look in balance.

Remember this and it will go a long way to help you find a good swing speed. ALWAYS SWING IN BALANCE DON'T SWING TO BE IN BALANCE. In other words it should always be in balance start to end, not all out of balance and making movements to keep your balance at the end.

Shark

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Remember this and it will go a long way to help you find a good swing speed. ALWAYS SWING IN BALANCE DON'T SWING TO BE IN BALANCE. In other words it should always be in balance start to end, not all out of balance and making movements to keep your balance at the end.

Shark

Cheers Shark
As I had a bit of a problem with balance I understand it now. Thats the key swing thought just now. Im more concerned just now with getting the speed and balance correct before I can start changing the swing too much. Im hoping I will have a decent swing once I slow it down.

I was just swinging too fast for any understanding of it to begin. Now by slowing it down I am beginning to feel and control my swing.

It is only now when watching golf do I really watch the swing speed of the pros.

centuryg5

Head Pro
Visit site
Played today in our 2nd medal of the season,A playing partner who plays off 5, used a skycaddie, said to me 140 to pin,hit 7 iron,shanked it into a front bunker,waste of money if you ask me :D

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played today in our 2nd medal of the season,A playing partner who plays off 5, used a skycaddie, said to me 140 to pin,hit 7 iron,shanked it into a front bunker,waste of money if you ask me :D

So you shanked it from 140... at least you knew how far away it was. Cant see how you say its a waste of money because you had a shank. Suppose you nailed it to 1 foot. It is still the same distance and thats what I want.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re. GPS I should have mentioned I dont want to pay a yearly sub and as a member of a club I will mainly use it there.

You won't be wanting a skycaddie then.

I use my skycaddie around home, and have 8 courses currently loaded onto it. As I've played all 7 "away" courses, and it's only April, I feel it was £30 well spent.

The thing that unimpresses me big time is the fact that if you don't renew, you lose even your home course. Therefore, if (for some reason) I cut back my golf and just played once/twice a month at my home course, I'd still need to shell out £30.

When I am bored, I shall write to skycaddie and explain that because of this feature, I shall not be recommending it.

My feeling is that there ought to be a feature to "keep (1) home course" on the sync software once you've paid at least one years subs.

However, you could map you own course at some point.

Other than that, it does what it says on the tin and has saved me plenty of shots + I enjoy using it. I am so quick with it now, I'd say it was saving time out on the course.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Maybe you thought you had too much club for 140 and decelerated at impact slightly????