Convert 6 Iron to 4 iron?

Shakey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve just acquired a set of 'pre-loved' Mizzie MP58s for a song, and they're great.

The set is 5,6,7,8,9 & PW and I’d quite like to add a 4 iron. To buy one new-ish would cost almost what I paid for the whole set, so I guess I’ll have to lurk on eBay and be patient.

However, I can lay my hands on another 6 iron, so would it be possible to convert that to a 4, by bending the loft and extending the shaft?

This question may be betraying my complete ignorance about club-making (and indeed the game), but I thought I’d ask anyway!

A

Alex1975

I think that would be a bend too far.... You would end up with no bounce on the club.

If you want to give it a go though I have a MP58 6 iron I dont want.

Shakey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's really nice of you....how much would you want for it, Alex? I'd love to add a 3 & 4 eventually (any ideas where a tight git like me could pick 'em up cheap?).

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve just acquired a set of 'pre-loved' Mizzie MP58s for a song, and they're great.

The set is 5,6,7,8,9 & PW and I’d quite like to add a 4 iron. To buy one new-ish would cost almost what I paid for the whole set, so I guess I’ll have to lurk on eBay and be patient.

However, I can lay my hands on another 6 iron, so would it be possible to convert that to a 4, by bending the loft and extending the shaft?

This question may be betraying my complete ignorance about club-making (and indeed the game), but I thought I’d ask anyway!

Don't bother. You can't bend it the 6 or 7 degrees needed without risking snapping the neck. Even if you managed it, you would have really changed the bounce of the club and the lie angle would also be off. It would look hideous. You would also need to extend or replace the shaft.

Buy a 4 iron, of another model if available. The Fli-Hi iron replacement model might be ideal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mizuno-Mp...s-Dynamic-Gold-S300-Stiff-Shaft-/130845324871

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
It might be possible to bend it that far without breaking it but it would be virtually unplayable - negative bounce angle, major change to face progression, offset, etc.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Don't bother. You can't bend it the 6 or 7 degrees needed without risking snapping the neck. Even if you managed it, you would have really changed the bounce of the club and the lie angle would also be off. It would look hideous. You would also need to extend or replace the shaft.

Buy a 4 iron, of another model if available. The Fli-Hi iron replacement model might be ideal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mizuno-Mp...s-Dynamic-Gold-S300-Stiff-Shaft-/130845324871

This ^

The new H4 would look nice with a set of 58's :thup:

Shakey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with the concensus: it would be a right old Frankenstein (the 'monster', not the elegant Peter Cushing) of a club. I'll just have to keep lurking on ebay and hope I strike lucky again. Thanks for your thoughts & time, all.