Continuous Putting

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a social 4 ball, would you think continuous putting would be quicker than marking and taking your turn?

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the 2nd putt (or 3rd or 4th!!) needs some thought then, no. Mark the ball. Let someone else go, and use that time to pick your line. If your playing partners are doing things properly they should be using the time while you putt to pick their lines anyway.

If the 2nd putt requires no thought, and assuming you're not a big lump leaving dents on others lines, then yes definitely.

Tbh I apply the above to any stroke play comps I'm in too.

Last edited:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Assuming you are not playing a matchplay format, then what is this "taking your turn"?

In my head (in strokeplay), once a player has putted they may continue until they decide they would rather mark and wait.
Plus ready golf.

[awaits possible correction ?]

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per @Beedee and @IainP we often do this already in my Saturday group. It's ready golf isn't it?

If everyone took single putts, marked, took turns etc then we would be playing rounds as long as the pro's
Yes, I’m playing with a few newish players and I think we are quite slow on the greens so want to suggest we try continuous putting to see whether it speeds things up - just keep going until you hole out rather than ending up with 4 marks surrounding the hole.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn’t it be slower? If I leave myself 4’ I want to pick a line out so better someone who already knows where they’re going to aim goes ahead and I can look at mine while they’re putting.
I can see this and I guess this is what we are doing at the moment and it feels slow to me - just seeing if there was a was to speed things up, we’re not playing for the Open.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It might help in current situation, but won't solve the fundamental problem of them being slow elsewhere. And continuous putting would likely be frowned on when they migrate to other groups.
Manage/fix the fundamental problem rather than try to work around it - unless it is (very) temporary.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can see this and I guess this is what we are doing at the moment and it feels slow to me - just seeing if there was a was to speed things up, we’re not playing for the Open.

I think just making sure people are getting ready for their putt while others are putting (obviously as long as they’re not a distraction) so they don’t start reading the line it when it’s their turn.

It also helps speed things up if anyone who’s had to leave their bag on the wrong side of the green either moves it while others are putting or goes first then move it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Wouldn’t it be slower? If I leave myself 4’ I want to pick a line out so better someone who already knows where they’re going to aim goes ahead and I can look at mine while they’re putting.
If its 4' just hit it. If picking a line on a 4' putt is going to take time, then that wasting time.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the point of turn taking is to avoid standing on the other players line.
Not always - sometimes think it’s just automatic that if it’s longer than 18 inches or so it’s mark and wait your turn - just wondering even if you immediately lined up and putt it would be quicker than marking and starting over.

Jason.H

Visit site
I feel I’m entitled to a bit of time lining up my puts. I’m always aware if my group loses ground on those in front. Unfortunately some golfers are totally oblivious to the fact they’ve lost ground. Therefore maybe just mentioning politely the fact to the other group members that ”we’ve lost ground on the group in front”.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Isn’t this just another gimmick that seeks to hide slow play, but fails? Mark it and let someone else who has been looking at their line, putt. Whilst they are putting, look at your own line. Rushing your second putt without lining up properly is only going to lead to more misses, more shots and longer rounds.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
How long after someone else has played would you need.

I could easily be ready before their ball has stopped rolling.....

Often have to consciously wait for balls to land on appriach shot as I'm ready while its in flight, I assume having 2 balls airbourne is rude...

John Evans 9

Visit site
Social fourballs are always competitive matches in my experience. Playing in turn matters. Of course if you are not playing a match then you can please yourself But if saving a few seconds on the green is important to you it poses the question - Why ?