Constant battle with driver spin rates

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Will try and keep this brief but basically last season I was having an issue with the driver spinning too high, around the 3500 mark. Purchased an M1 with a black hzrdus shaft which helped the issue and was hitting good shots.

My swing has now improved and went for a lesson on Tuesday to realise my low in the face strikes are only spinning at about 1100 and carrying 205ish. Higher strikes on the face are spinning around 2700 and carrying about 245. Obviously the simple answer is to not hit low in the face and I will work on this but the distance drop off is far too much for what is essentially about 1-2cm of difference in strike location. At the range last night I was hitting it a lot better but the odd low strike was slipping in and I could see the ball fall from the sky.

I am tempted to get and get a driver fitting to try and find some more consistency yet I do not have a lot of cash to just splash on a brand new current model driver. I will obviously try as many as possible but was wondering if anyone has used the Ping G400 max and the Ping G driver and anyone know what the difference is?

Sorry for the waffle but any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why waste money on a new driver when consistency of strike is your issue? Surely better to get a lesson on hitting driver would be more beneficial?

U

User62651

Change it up - Use a lower spinning ball and tee the ball higher and further forward in stance, see if that helps.

Adjust the loft on the driver lower too.

Cheaper than a new driver.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why waste money on a new driver when consistency of strike is your issue? Surely better to get a lesson on hitting driver would be more beneficial?

I am always going to have off centre hits, no matter how much I work on it they will always exist. I was catching the ball literally 1cm too low and the spin dropped by nearly 1.5k revs. I don't think I will ever have the skills to consistently hit the same spot over and over again.

I went to the range last night to work on hitting higher in the face and it did help but the odd low strike kept happening. Hoping for a bit more forgiveness when they do happen.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the ping G driver, good driver and very forgiving. I can get it out there on a good day to about 250 but have no idea of spin numbers etc as I haven't used it with trackman etc.

How about as Andy says lesson or even some fitters will do an optimization of your current driver, find the best set up for it and possibly suggest a change in shaft or length of shaft.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Are you not going to go round in circles though. If you make the low strikes spin more, your better strikes will spin too much.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Change it up - Use a lower spinning ball and tee the ball higher and further forward in stance, see if that helps.

Adjust the loft on the driver lower too.

Cheaper than a new driver.

That was the other issue I was seeing. Hitting too much up at the ball, some were 6 up with dynamic loft at around 12. What was happening was when I was striking the ball low on the face, the face was coming forward and therefore reducing the loft and in turn the spin loft which affects the spin rate.

If the driver loft goes lower, the spin rate goes even lower, so that isn't an option.

Putting the ball further forward in the stance will make me hit more up on it and also decrease the spin rate. I moved the ball slightly further back which helped a little.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are you not going to go round in circles though. If you make the low strikes spin more, your better strikes will spin too much.

Yeah that was a bit of a worry of mine, what the impact on spin rate would be for the better higher strikes. To be honest, I would prefer the distance to be more constant with the off centre hits rather than the extremes it is at now. So a shorter better strike and a longer bad strike would do me nicely

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
do you tee the ball up quite high?

I'd say no for driver standard. I have tried a few different tee heights and feel most comfortable with about 1/4 of the ball above the driver face at address. I have tried higher and I just hit more up at it

U

User62651

Think we need a video, sounds like you're chopping at it with a steep attack.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think we need a video, sounds like you're chopping at it with a steep attack.

Will try and get one tonight and you can all rip it apart :D

I don't think I am chopping at it as my lowest AoA was 1.4 up or something and all coming from in to out.

Some shots I was leaning back and not getting through it which caused me to lift the club and catch the bottom

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had the same problem i just tee a little higher and its sorted it right out about a 3rd of the ball is above the club head

I will try it and see what happens. I have tried to tee it up before but never felt comfortable with that much space under the ball!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd say no for driver standard. I have tried a few different tee heights and feel most comfortable with about 1/4 of the ball above the driver face at address. I have tried higher and I just hit more up at it

I was going to say, I tend to hit up on the ball quite a bit and have it teed up quite high. I found teeing it a fraction lower actually helped me to find the middle of the face a little easier.

Last two times I've been out I've used a new head. Took a chance on it as its only 7.5 degrees. means I can still have it teed up quite high, hit well up on it and the spin rate visibly looks better. Haven't had one balloon way up even into the wind.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I will try it and see what happens. I have tried to tee it up before but never felt comfortable with that much space under the ball!

I was the same first few hits now its just normal to me I make good contact most of the time, high flight, straight and decent distance

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Obviously the simple answer is to not hit low in the face and I will work on this but the distance drop off is far too much for what is essentially about 1-2cm of difference in strike location
Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...le-with-driver-spin-rates#1wBXAS88ZybzsXTo.99

1-2cm is massive in this context!

2cm high or low would give you a range of 4cm - that's the whole face height of many drivers!

Miss a 3 wood by 2cm and you will be lucky to hit the ball on the club face at all.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Obviously the simple answer is to not hit low in the face and I will work on this but the distance drop off is far too much for what is essentially about 1-2cm of difference in strike location
Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...le-with-driver-spin-rates#1wBXAS88ZybzsXTo.99

1-2cm is massive in this context!

2cm high or low would give you a range of 4cm - that's the whole face height of many drivers!

Miss a 3 wood by 2cm and you will be lucky to hit the ball on the club face at all.

2cm would be the worst obviously but I had some where the ball was just below the centre on the driver and had like 1300 revs of spin. Interestingly I hit the 3 wood really really well. I am just so streaky with the driver. One day I am smashing it and the next it is all over the face. Going to keep working on it, just lacking a lot of confidence at the moment with the big stick.