Comp

Lambaeire

Visit site
If you were a member of a club and qualified for a final in that club , the comp was delayed over covid and the final played the following year ,yet you leave where do you stand in olaying the final.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
You would need to check the rules of the comp or your club. There will be a different approach across clubs, I'm sure.

I'm not even aware of what happens at our place, cos I'm rarely in a final!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto to to Bratty in the main respect. The club itself decides the issue. There is no other body to over rule any decision they make in this case.

Maybe they could ask you or you could offer to play a visitors rate fee to play in it.

It could also depend on whether or not it is an Open. If yes it could be argued you paid the fee to play in it.

Lambaeire

Visit site
Ditto to to Bratty in the main respect. The club itself decides the issue. There is no other body to over rule any decision they make in this case.

Maybe they could ask you or you could offer to play a visitors rate fee to play in it.

It could also depend on whether or not it is an Open. If yes it could be argued you paid the fee to play in it.

It was a members comp in 2020 and covid put a halt to the finals and the finals were then played in 2021 .. should the club honor the member who left the club ,to play the final as they paid there fee and qualified for the final

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It was a members comp in 2020 and covid put a halt to the finals and the finals were then played in 2021 .. should the club honor the member who left the club ,to play the final as they paid there fee and qualified for the final

I'd say yes.
But as others have said, if it's not in the terms of the competition (which I doubt it would be) then it's entirely a decision for the club.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As already said it is up to the club to make that decision.

As you are non longer a member of the club you will just have to accept their decision as there is no recourse to any other body.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are no longer a member I'd say that's the end of it. I don't know that I'd award the comp to the other player, there is just no winner for that year.

I doubt there would be a precedent for this so it's likely the committee will have to make a standalone decision. It will be their judgement at the end of the day as you are no longer a member there isn't a great deal you can do other than accept it.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would think no.
You are no longer a member.
At ours “ in the comp rules you must be a member with all subs up to date to win a comp.”
I would be surprised if the comittiee let a non member play in a final.
They would have to put your name on the board while not being a member of the club.!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Whatever the club decide, you have no grounds for complaint as you are no longer a member.

I guess a lot might depend upon your standing within the club and the circumstances of your leaving....if you were a popular, long standing member who contributed a great deal during your membership and did not renew to to personal circumstances of one sort or another, then some might consider it would be a nice gesture if you were invited back by the club to play in the delayed final. If however you were perhaps a fly by night sort of member, flitting from club to club depending on which had the best deal, then I couldn't see this happening at all..

Incidentally....if you have not joined another club then you will not have a valid handicap....so assuming that it is a handicap comp, then I would say it would be difficult for you to return and play in the final.

D

Deleted member 3432

Whatever the club decide, you have no grounds for complaint as you are no longer a member.

I guess a lot might depend upon your standing within the club and the circumstances of your leaving....if you were a popular, long standing member who contributed a great deal during your membership and did not renew to to personal circumstances of one sort or another, then some might consider it would be a nice gesture if you were invited back by the club to play in the delayed final. If however you were perhaps a fly by night sort of member, flitting from club to club depending on which had the best deal, then I couldn't see this happening at all..

Incidentally....if you have not joined another club then you will not have a valid handicap....so assuming that it is a handicap comp, then I would say it would be difficult for you to return and play in the final.

What's standing within the club got to do with anything?

Discriminating against those that are 'not the right kind of chap'?

Going back to the original question I remember recently that some clubs were quite happy to grant lengthy extensions to ensure finals were played......is this no different in that the OP was a member when the final should have been played?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To my mind, regardless of when the competition began, if you're no longer a member of that club you forfeit any further participation in that competition.
If it's a "board" comp...how can, effectively, a non member win it..?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
What's standing within the club got to do with anything?

Discriminating against those that are 'not the right kind of chap'?

No....more of a romanticised view of a utopian environment where some grace might be given to someone who has contributed to the overall well being of the club, or perhaps has spent the best part of a lifetime at the club and has become part of the "fabric of the club" who may have been forced to leave due to abnormal circumstances, rather than someone who shows no desire to give something back and just "takes". (and before someone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying the OP is that sort of person at all...but they do exist).

Swango1980

Visit site
I'd say no, you are not a member of the club, so no longer entitled to play in members competitions. At my last place, membership renewal is at the start of August. I got to the semi finals of our knockout, and then left the club. I certainly would have no expectation to be allowed to play that semi final after I left, despite paying my fee. You also can't use the excuse that you paid an entry fee as an entitlement to play the final. You could just as easily got beaten in the first round, paying the fee would not have entitled you to a certain number of games.

Also, if you were allowed to play, I wouldn't be surprised if it created some negativity amongst members that the club allowed a non-member to compete for a club trophy. Covid was just unlucky, we've all had to make sacrifices. In this case it was losing the opportunity to play in the final before leaving the club.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm going to have to disagree with most on here in terms of what I feel is the right thing to do. If the competitor was a member of the club through the period when the compeition would have normally been expected to be completed, then as long as that person has not done anything personally to delay the completion of the event, I would say they should be allowed to play in the final.
That though is purely a personal opinion and ultimately it would be up to the competition commitee to decide.
I wonder why it has taken some six months, after the re-opening of golf clubs, for this only now to be asked.