Comments/Accusations about other people's handicaps

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Recently started taking golf a bit more serious after beginning to play golf last year.

My game has improved and been working on different parts with lessons every few weeks.

I have had some pretty harsh accusations, not formal but just pretty bad comments about the handicap I am.

Has anyone else experienced similar? I know my handicap will come down, but it is what it is for the time being, I don't NR any scores and always play to my best.

I do feel it is poor form passing judgement on the issue.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It will happen. Smile politely and say little. It's usually jealousy from those chopping it round. Work hard and the the cuts will come. It's called reward for hard work and practice and you could suggest to those making snide comments that they should try it once in a while. Ignore them. Haters will always hate.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Got the tee shirt. Natural progression means you will get better to a particular level. That level being whatever natural ability you have and the amount of time and practice you put in. On that journey this is what you'll get, it means your getting better, so who cares.......I didn't.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Something as a relative newbie I intend to deal with better next season. There were times this year where I let what people said affected me... it was always put to me in a bit of a p***take way but sometimes you could tell it wasn't banter.

Also sometimes when I started really well I would feel almost guilty which is stupid really... get a snide comment then I'd say something negative like oh don't worry it will come then that mindset usually brings it down. Same with in matchplay ties sometimes kinda felt guilty being 3 up etc then end up getting beat.

Next year I will have learned tho

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't worry about it mate, as long as you enter the comps people can see where you are at.

I have a mate who plays off 20 , he regularly scores 38-44 pts but as soon as a card is in his hand he is as crap as me and falls apart.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I have and still am going through similar experience, I found that because you work hard on your game to get better when the comments like this come your way it just makes you feel like crap. I got over after a Cat 1 player I was play a 4BB comp said to me after one of our opponents made the a comment about my hcp, your game has got into their head, they are beaten. Since then I just think its their problem not mine and if they out the hours in I do they would get better than they are playing

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I get it all the time off the 1st tee particularly when I smash a 3-wood down the middle 10/15yds further than my opponents using drivers, the first thing to come outta their mouths is '16 my arse' usually followed by bandit or some other smart arsed quip, your high handicapper for a reason, luckily I'm quite brash in nature so very little effects me, you should take a leaf outta my book, smile and don't take it too personally. :thup:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm with everyone else. learn to shrug it off as you are doing NOTHING wrong. i don't mind a joke now and again about it (it is a back handed compliment to be honest) but if your getting snide comments then accept that for what it is - an unpleasant, probably jealous person. They are not people you want to affect you. Decent people will be happy for your progress. Don't ever excuse good play!

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only accept such comments from those you meet on the practice ground. The excludes almost 100% of the snipers. You're working hard trying get better at this crazy game, sometimes it will all come together and you'll score well.

You've earned the improvements - enjoy it.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Simply the handicap system cannot keep up with a rapidly improving golfer.

It will catch up and in 18 months you will plateau, then you will be like 95% of us here.
But until then enjoy the fruits of your labours :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Everyone gets it, irrespective of handicap. The last major whinge at me was for scoring 44 Pts off 4. Take it as a compliment that you're playing well enough to get moaned at.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always get comments "you shouldn't be off 28" as I still am in the society I play in

i can never bring it to those days. Comments normally come after a par on the stroke index 4 or something after a decent drive and on in 2. Then follow up by putting next one out of bounds... they then understand lol