Comic Relief

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will try to keep this short,and maybe not so sweet.
For those of us fortunate enough to be able to play golf tomorrow/sunday,when your moaning about a missed putt,sliced/hooked drive etc,spare a thought for those less fortunate than ourselves.

I really don't care what colour,race,religion somebody is,if i can help those less fortunate (especially children) by giving a few quid,then i will always do so.

For those about to say "charity begins at home","they shouldn't have so many children" etc etc,save your typing finger the trouble.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For those of us fortunate enough to be able to play golf tomorrow/sunday,when your moaning about a missed putt,sliced/hooked drive etc,spare a thought for those less fortunate than ourselves.

I really don't care what colour,race,religion somebody is,if i can help those less fortunate (especially children) by giving a few quid,then i will always do so.

For those about to say "charity begins at home","they shouldn't have so many children" etc etc,save your typing finger the trouble.

Wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment and have donated via text and also to a few different other comic relief efforts during the course of today and this week, but the 'entertainment' on offer is woeful. Why does Lenny Henry always get wheeled out for these things? He is to comedy, what Ronnie Corbett is to basketball.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment and have donated via text and also to a few different other comic relief efforts during the course of today and this week, but the 'entertainment' on offer is woeful. Why does Lenny Henry always get wheeled out for these things? He is to comedy, what Ronnie Corbett is to basketball.

The entertainment is pretty weak to be honest.

LUFC 1972

Head Pro
Visit site
Was involved in the first comic relief 25 years ago whilst working for Oxfam, dont think anyone thought it would last this long and have worked with a number of projects in the Midlands working with young and elderly people who have benefiited from CR. Its not for everyone but 70M shows there are a lot of people who do care, is it funny it used to be but maybe i am getting old and comedy has changed .. thought the David Brent video and Smithy bits were funy last night but hat was 10 minutes out of 7 hours.. there is more time spent on the plight but that is to get the message across and it obviously works..

For me if several million children live longer because i have donated for a vaccine I am happy i have contributed.. BUT... if i see one direction murdering two great songs again I might ask for a refund !

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no issues with donating to charity, but its when it gets rammed down your throat.

I got hit for money at the school gate, non uniform day, red nose and hair band, when I went for my lunch, post office, supermarket, car park 4 times, picking my daughter up from school, all night on TV.

I let rip at a volunteer for the British heart foundation when she come knocking at the door. I explained that I knew it wasn't her fault but what a stupid time to come looking for donations when the big fundraising drive was for another charity.

And the "entertainment", if the BBC spent the money on the charity rather than sending "celebrities" to Africa in business/1st class and putting them in hotels, paying travel/food/tour guide/security expenses, sending them on once-in-a-lifetime activities which us regular people pay thousands of pounds do so....I'll stop there.

Again, I'm not against giving to charity and am around £40 lighter from yesterday alone

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Done my bit in work today. Is it me though or is the whole thing distinctly unfunny and smacks of desperation

Being a contrary sod I could argue that one kid dying of malaria in Africa every second is not that funny a subject. And yes the video clips in Africa are getting more and more 'direct' and you know what is going to happen as a celeb is going to start crying after witnessing a child die. But that is what generates the most money. The comedy is always going to be quite broad as it is trying to appeal to as wider audience as possible.

And as for One Direction's murdering songs then Teenage Kicks is possibly my favourite song ever, but I don't have a problem with it. Yes it's a pretty rubbish version, but I am not the target audience. If they just mashed up the Blondie and Undertones originals then it would sell chuff all and create zero publicity. Plus they have gone out to Africa, used their huge popularity and done something to help, so fair play to them. It's not as if they need the publicity.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
The biggest 'crime' to me is that there are some that would rather see their money go to animal charities ahead of being used to better or save the life of a child...

I live not too far from a dog charity establishment... It simply does my head in to have seen the MILLIONS invested in this place whilst kids are dying of starvation in OUR world...

Big_Rick78

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd like to know what they do with the money, since Comic Relief started they must have made near a Billion pound? Plus all the other countless charities that ask for £2 a month. Whats happening with the money? Surely that much would make a difference, yet it doesnt seem to have changed much in 20 odd years.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'd like to know what they do with the money, since Comic Relief started they must have made near a Billion pound? Plus all the other countless charities that ask for £2 a month. Whats happening with the money? Surely that much would make a difference, yet it doesnt seem to have changed much in 20 odd years.

I can't remember all the actual figures from last night but one that stuck in my mind was that mothers dying during child birth has been cut by a third in the last 10yrs - 150,000 more mothers live to bring up their children. There was a bunch of equally impressive numbers... its definitely making a difference.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sadly, I suspect, too much gets 'lost' in 'infrastructure' ahead of reaching the 'coal face'...

Having said that... Friends involved with charity work advise 'things' are getting better though on the face of it this may not appear to be the case...

Last edited:

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Err...the whole point of a forum is to allow people to express their own opinion. Personally I will give where I can and I am always grateful for everything I have. Much of this is of course is an accident of birth and I think we should be very thankful. However, I have to admit that in some way I object to being continually harassed, whether it's in the advert break on Sky, Children In Need (change the record!) or Comic Relief. I do suspect that much of Comic Relief is as much about the advancement of a few careers as it is about charity and I have to say it is a big turn off for me. As for "they should have less children", people in this country at least should start to take responsibility for their own actions.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The biggest 'crime' to me is that there are some that would rather see their money go to animal charities ahead of being used to better or save the life of a child...

I live not too far from a dog charity establishment... It simply does my head in to have seen the MILLIONS invested in this place whilst kids are dying of starvation in OUR world...

Everyone's different matey.

I've just sent an extra tenner this month to the Dog's Trust on the basis of your post!:thup:

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Africas problems are political more than financial. Feeding the poor is a short-term sticking plaster which is why its still going after 25yrs, worthy but pointless.