Cobra Fly-Z draw settings to combat slice?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bought the above driver a couple of months ago off ebay, and haven't adjusted the setting which is 12 degrees.

I am launching the ball pretty high, but with a heavy slice most of the time, and not getting much in the way of distance (200 yards if I am lucky).

I've got a lesson with the pro on Monday to look at this, but was wondering ahead of playing this weekend whether putting it in one of the draw settings would help, and if so, which one folks would recommend?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers Bill. i have been trying to put your advice into practice this week, with mixed results. am about 40/60 between reasonably straight ones and wild slices.

If you have a wild slice, your downswing is out to in and the face is open.
If you close the face, the ball will start further left

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
It helps, but it can't perform miracles. If you slice it, it will still slice, but slightly less so. I have mine in 12° draw setting and it does help a little bit in gettng the ballflight lower and less to the right. Just try it out. It surely won't hurt you, the change isn't massive.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It helps, but it can't perform miracles. If you slice it, it will still slice, but slightly less so. I have mine in 12° draw setting and it does help a little bit in gettng the ballflight lower and less to the right. Just try it out. It surely won't hurt you, the change isn't massive.

Is the ladies spec different? I thought 11.5 was the highest lofted draw setting and 12 was back to neutral

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you have a wild slice, your downswing is out to in and the face is open.
If you close the face, the ball will start further left

Bob. Is it possible to hit a 'wild slice' with an in-to-out swing? Wouldn't that (Push-Slice) start right (rightee) and go further right? The 'wildness' of the slice is surely governed by the angle between clubface and path, whichever direction it starts.

Of course, almost every exponent of the 'wild slice' ends up starting it left though, simply by trying to 'adjust' and actually often exacerbating the fault.

@OP Changing the setting isn't going to turn your 'wild slice' into a Draw (or even anywhere near straight!)! Changing your swing is the only way to do that, and getting a Pro to sort it out is the proper way! Don't expect it to be easy or instant though!

Last edited:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Is the ladies spec different? I thought 11.5 was the highest lofted draw setting and 12 was back to neutral

Yup, different basic loft. The ladies' version has 12° of loft as middle setting, goes down to 10.5 and up to 13.5, with draw settings available for 11, 12 and 13° of loft. The male version has 10.5 ° in the middle, so goes down to 9 and up to 12 with draw settings for 9.5, 10.5 and 11.5. It's a general theme with Cobra woods, the ladies' versions always come a bit more lofted to make up for the lower swing speed.