Cobra connect

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As title says, any users of the above ? Do you have to pay to use it? Pros and cons please.

Cheers

Midnight...

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Yeah, I have the Cobra Connect system, since it came with my Cobra F8 irons. I love the irons, but Cobra Connect is a terrible failure, as far as I am concerned. Maybe I was just unlucky, but in the short time I've had them (about 4 months now), 4 of the 14 sensors stopped working (or in one case did not work from the get-go). The customer support was very friendly and helpfull and did send me replacements, but still, it limited the number of rounds I could play with a full set of working sensors to almost none.

One of the huge disadvantages of the system is that you have to carry the phone in your front pocket while you play. And ladies golf attire normally just does not come with pockets big enough to comfortly do that, especially in summer clothes. I found a simple money belt which I can use to put the phone in, but it is neither fashionable nor convinient. i now Arccos are working on a belt clip or something, but they have been saying that for more than a year now and it still hasn't come out afaik.

What also annoyed me is that you need an internet connection to pair the sensors with the phone. Our golf course has no cell reception at all, so the only way I can pair a sensor is to bring the club home with me (I normally leave my gear in the locker room). Same goes for downloading course data of course. Other than a Garmin watch for example, the Arccos system only stores the courses you explicitely downloaded before (and when you log out, it forgets them again). That too led to me going to the golf course wanting to record the round and then notice that I don't have the course data availible a few times.

At the moment, my system also does not register putts at all, even though the putter sensor is supposedly working fine according to the dyagnostic software. Which means I have to remember or write down my number of putts on every whole and edit them in later (which is pretty easy and straightforward to do with puts, as opposed to full shots which are much more fiddly to edit in after the fact). I prefer to edit with the webinterface instead of in the app itself (because I find a desktop screen and mouse more convinient than tapping around on my phone), but the synchronization between the two is so bad that it sometimes takes a full day for a round to upload correctly.

The good thing is that (provided all sensors are working) the system does record all shots pretty much automatically. Unless you also want to use the app to give you distances during the round or want to use the caddie feature (which I haven't even tried yet), there is no need to get the phone out of your pocket during the round at all. You just start the app at the beginning of the round and it handles the rest. No need for tapping or other interaction while you play.

So I am happy enough to play around with it for the one year I get it for free, but there is no way in hell I am going to pay 50 $ a year for a subscription to keep using it afterwards.