Club shirt for matches

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Our club has now requested that players wear a white club shirt for matches, soon to be available from the pro shop for £30. Pleasantly surprised and impressed to see that those who do buy one will receive a bar credit of £15 once they have signed up to a match & worn said shirt. (y)

Anyone else's club incentivise the wearing of club colours for matches this way, or any other way?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
No, but seems a decent idea!

Funny story about similar... last year got a WhattsApp from the team captain (an Ulsterman) saying "new team jerseys were on order, tell the pro your size." When they arrived, i went into get my "new sweater" only to be presented with a polo shirt! :)

Ah, the beauty of regional differences in language!

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our club was sponsored last year so we were issued one free by the club , previously we asked the lads in the team to sell a football card and we made money that way to reduce the. It’s foe the club

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our seniors have an arrangement outside of the club which was OKd with the pro. The pro apparently has the copyright on the club's logo.

The juniors have a sponsor and get theirs for free.

Club ones have to bought from the pro.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had white polos some years ago but they marked up so quickly, especially for those who played regularly. Also used to be different colours for Scratch, Nett, Tigers & Rabbits teams but now just one colour for all & cost supported by the Club which got it down to £15.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have them (white) but there have been a number of different designs over the last few years so they no longer match and some can wear the original version and someone can have the latest. I would like to see something where this a definitive model and I'd also like to see the club be more proactive in helping with the cost (or give a bar account credit) and I'd also like to see the club recognise something like 50 appearances

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had to buy club polo shirts and jumpers, and instructed to wear black trousers for club matches.
We pay for shirt and jumpers. Captive market and feel its a bit unfair to ask members to fork out full amount to wear club colours and represent the club. I have wondered if that's why we sometimes get a low turnout for our social matches. I like the idea of each team member looking smart and wearing the same colours but wonder if there are different or better ways about it

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
See it both ways, and we have a number of different situations depending on what the representative nature is.
Mens league are heavily embroidered, changed every year, and distributed free.
Mens changes colour from time to time, and the incoming captain is now routinely advised to stick to the existing one! You purchase.
Seniors and Vets League use a different colour, but have stuck with the same for years (and years). You purchase.
Given that they are good quality and last it's not a great expense - around 2 to 3 x match fees.
A quick count has 8 in the wardrobe, over all of the above teams. They get worn on other golfing occasions as well.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most clubs will give players a free shirt but don’t see anything wrong with what your club is doing.

Seem to remember there was a whole lot of chat about some cheap skate on this forum complaining that he was asked to buy a red shirt to play for his handicap team or for some sort of friendly match.

Wolf

Visit site
At my last club I remember having to have 3 shirts one in a a single playing season for the Kent league matches. Yellow for Junior, Blue for our B team (which I wore once) and then White for A team. As years went on the Junior and A team colours changed so was a new one each year.

At my new club I've got to buy one and for the club league matches, doesn't bother me though way I see it is, if I play every away game I'd effectively be getting 5 free green fees (potentially double that as we get a courtesy round to get to know away clubs layouts) so potentially thats 10 free rounds of golf at other courses so I'd be saving around £200 or more in green fees for the cost of a £35 shirt. Seems a fair bargain to me..

Never understood the need for a shirt for friendly matches though..

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I sponsored our A Team last season so I had my business name on the sleeve, this subsidised the shirts heavily which were a good quality Glenmuir Polo shirt down to only £20 so everyone was happy to purchase one especially as it was a quality shirt with an embroidered club badge on also.

Nothing better than seeing everyone in a uniformed club shirt ready to go into battle 🏌️

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had to buy club polo shirts and jumpers, and instructed to wear black trousers for club matches.
Or face the Bow-n-arrow Squad...… hell, with those requirements, we'd never get a full team out.... thought our golf was for 'recreation' :sneaky::sneaky:

Robin Hood

Visit site
Or face the Bow-n-arrow Squad...… hell, with those requirements, we'd never get a full team out.... thought our golf was for 'recreation' :sneaky::sneaky:
We were always over subscribed for players. And we did look like a team, even won most of our matches. Happy days - then the club closed 😩