Club Help and Advice Please

Lost_Cause

Visit site
I started playing golf at the start of this year, I initially bought a budget Sports Direct package set (I can hear you all cringing at the thought of that). I’ve now reached a point where I’m happy to say that this is going to be a more long term thing so would like to spend some money on a better set of clubs. I don’t believe there is anything from the starter set which I’m looking to keep (aside from bag) so it’s going to be a full bag upgrade.

I’ve got around £500-600 total to spend in total and just wanted to know what people world recommen, I’m more than happy to buy second hand and would be looking at clubs that are forgiving and aimed at the higher handicapper/beginner, I don’t have any brand preference and I’ll take performance over a name any day. (I already have 8 lessons booked with a local pro next month which was a birthday present from the Mrs, clearly she thinks I’m terrible lol! so my budget is entirely for clubs).

Ideally I’d like to get a driver, 3, 4 hybrid, 5-PW irons with a couple of wedges and a putter. I realise this is a big ask for my budget and offerings on Golfbidder and eBay seem terrible at present (prices are at an all time high?) but with that in mind what would people recommen?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Before you spend anything I would have a fitting from a local independent fitter .
Get your spec shaft , head type etc.
Then look for Second hand clubs.
It will help you and be cost effective in the end.
As you improve you can swap and change as you go.

TigerTime

Visit site
I started playing golf at the start of this year, I initially bought a budget Sports Direct package set (I can hear you all cringing at the thought of that). I’ve now reached a point where I’m happy to say that this is going to be a more long term thing so would like to spend some money on a better set of clubs. I don’t believe there is anything from the starter set which I’m looking to keep (aside from bag) so it’s going to be a full bag upgrade.

I’ve got around £500-600 total to spend in total and just wanted to know what people world recommen, I’m more than happy to buy second hand and would be looking at clubs that are forgiving and aimed at the higher handicapper/beginner, I don’t have any brand preference and I’ll take performance over a name any day. (I already have 8 lessons booked with a local pro next month which was a birthday present from the Mrs, clearly she thinks I’m terrible lol! so my budget is entirely for clubs).

Ideally I’d like to get a driver, 3, 4 hybrid, 5-PW irons with a couple of wedges and a putter. I realise this is a big ask for my budget and offerings on Golfbidder and eBay seem terrible at present (prices are at an all time high?) but with that in mind what would people recommen?

Have a look at GolfClubs4Cash mate. I dunno where you are based but if your in Scotland you can always get down to their shop to try stuff out too.

Lost_Cause

Visit site
I’ve been offered;-

TaylorMade 12° Aeroburner, regular shaft for £100
Cleveland Launcher 3 and 5 woods for £100
Ping G25 Irons, regular steel black dot for £175
Cleveland CBX Wedges (50/54/58) - £125
TaylorMade Spider Putter at 34” for £100

And the guy is going to throw in a stand or carry bag (my choice) that’s from stock a few years ago but ”new”.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve been offered;-

And the guy is going to throw in a stand or carry bag (my choice) that’s from stock a few years ago but ”new”.

I'd say all of that is decent kit and also has a resale value, unlike the Sports Direct gear. So if you decide you don't get on with the Spider, for example, you should be able to get similar money for it and replace it with something else.

Although people are saying to get fitted, if you are a real beginner from this year, I'd say that is not as important as just playing and learning to strike the ball well. Your game will likely develop quite a bit over the next year or so, lessons would yield more results than new clubs imo, and if you were to invest in the clubs above, these will likely be suitable for a while, down to a low teens handicap - unless you have a lot of speed and would need stiffer shafts. You'd need to be hitting a driver 240+ and a 7 iron 165 probably as an indicator of when you might need stiffer shafts.

imo - there is very little difference in clubs made this year, compared to the last 10 years. There might be a bit of forgiveness and / or fine tuning that good / elite players can do, but for most of us, we would likely get very similar results with a new set @ £2,500, compared to 5 - 10 year old bats that are suitable for our game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve been offered;-

Not a bad set to be starting with and I think that will be fine to get you started and will last you a good couple of years when you may want to consider changing (although things like the G25's are still good performers)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I read it as both the 3 & 5 for £100 the pair....

I would check which wedges are in the set of Ping G25 - the PW is 45 degrees and the SW (if included) is 50 degree... I am also thinking you might not need that driver to start with, use the 3 wood off the tee. But if you hit the driver ok, why not have it!! No hybrid in there... I've got a Taylor Made M2 22 degree rescue sat in the garage which you could have for £50!! (depending on which irons you have in the G25 set)

Grant is right about the wedges, but at that price, take them all... and experiment!

I would go to a local course/large golf shop and take a load of different putters on the putting green and see what best suits your eye/feel.

Otherwise i am thinking that's a cracking set to upgrade, esp with a bag thrown in. Have fun and good luck!

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I read it as both the 3 & 5 for £100 the pair....

I would check which wedges are in the set of Ping G25 - the PW is 45 degrees and the SW (if included) is 50 degree... I am also thinking you might not need that driver to start with, use the 3 wood off the tee. But if you hit the driver ok, why not have it!! No hybrid in there... I've got a Taylor Made M2 22 degree rescue sat in the garage which you could have for £50!! (depending on which irons you have in the G25 set)

Grant is right about the wedges, but at that price, take them all... and experiment!

I would go to a local course/large golf shop and take a load of different putters on the putting green and see what best suits your eye/feel.

Otherwise i am thinking that's a cracking set to upgrade, esp with a bag thrown in. Have fun and good luck!
The only reason I didn’t suggest binning the driver is because it’s 12 d and even I can hit one of those :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say all of that is decent kit and also has a resale value, unlike the Sports Direct gear. So if you decide you don't get on with the Spider, for example, you should be able to get similar money for it and replace it with something else.

Although people are saying to get fitted, if you are a real beginner from this year, I'd say that is not as important as just playing and learning to strike the ball well. Your game will likely develop quite a bit over the next year or so, lessons would yield more results than new clubs imo, and if you were to invest in the clubs above, these will likely be suitable for a while, down to a low teens handicap - unless you have a lot of speed and would need stiffer shafts. You'd need to be hitting a driver 240+ and a 7 iron 165 probably as an indicator of when you might need stiffer shafts.

imo - there is very little difference in clubs made this year, compared to the last 10 years. There might be a bit of forgiveness and / or fine tuning that good / elite players can do, but for most of us, we would likely get very similar results with a new set @ £2,500, compared to 5 - 10 year old bats that are suitable for our game.
My reasoning for suggesting fitting was I assumed he’s not a complete beginner.
But if you take lockdown into account he probably hasn’t played that much really.
I do think for the sake of £40 ish it really narrows your search for clubs if you know what you are looking for.
Shafts ,lie etc can hinder your progress if not suited to you.
But a set that is suited can really help you progress rapidly.
I have seen players giving up the game because they couldn’t improve but their equipment was holding them back.
Second hand market is a minefield as well.
Just learning the game with an old set is great but a second hand set that actually suits you will make it much more enjoyable in my opinion.
There’s no right or wrong answer and upgrading as you go along is great as long as you know what your looking for.
No serious golfer would play with clubs that don’t suit him.
Imo the same thing applies to everyone but to a lesser extent to a Rookie.

Lost_Cause

Visit site
The G25’s are 5-PW
The 3 & 5 Woods are the HB version and £100 for the pair.
The wedges are £125 for the set of 3

The items are from a local pro and he has recently regripped all the clubs ready to sell (except the putter), he has said that if after a little practice with them I need any alterations he can make these for me and will also swap/exchange anything I’m not getting along with for something else he has in stock.
This is from the same pro I have the 8 lessons booked with and he has spent some time with me already as he tends to chat to people at the range/practice areas when he’s not busy - we covered some basics about position, swing and grip when I first started, and he’s checked in on me a few times when I’ve been at the range just to see how I’m getting on.
He did say that I could go down the more formal fitting route if I’d prefer but that at this point in my game these would be a good starting set and when I have my lesson at the end of next month that I’ll have played them enough to be swinging them comfortably and more confidently so he’ll get a better indication of where/what to tweak or change (in my swing or the clubs).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The G25’s are 5-PW
The 3 & 5 Woods are the HB version and £100 for the pair.
The wedges are £125 for the set of 3

The items are from a local pro and he has recently regripped all the clubs ready to sell (except the putter), he has said that if after a little practice with them I need any alterations he can make these for me and will also swap/exchange anything I’m not getting along with for something else he has in stock.
This is from the same pro I have the 8 lessons booked with and he has spent some time with me already as he tends to chat to people at the range/practice areas when he’s not busy - we covered some basics about position, swing and grip when I first started, and he’s checked in on me a few times when I’ve been at the range just to see how I’m getting on.
He did say that I could go down the more formal fitting route if I’d prefer but that at this point in my game these would be a good starting set and when I have my lesson at the end of next month that I’ll have played them enough to be swinging them comfortably and more confidently so he’ll get a better indication of where/what to tweak or change (in my swing or the clubs).
That does sound like he is being very helpful .
So it’s great he will help you swap and change to suit your game.
Hope it goes well.