Club champs "drawn" in handicap order

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our club champs is a 36 holer on Sunday and the draw is showing that we're out in order of handicap with lowest last.

I sort of see the point of this with the most likely winners coming in last but given the recent concerns about slow play at our place am it just seems a bit strange sending out the players who whilst not necessarily being the slowest will take more strokes.

It's my first year in this comp so just wondered if this is common practice and any thoughts / reasons?

Cheers

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Seems to fairly common

At my last club we had a proper draw for the first round and then went out in handicap order for the 2nd - seems a bit more realistic.....

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seems to fairly common

At my last club we had a proper draw for the first round and then went out in handicap order for the 2nd - seems a bit more realistic.....

Ok cheers Ian. Agree it seems a bit more realistic. Think I'm partly just a bit nervous about being in the first group out and trying to keep the pace going where there's 3 of us in a group who have a reasonable chance of spraying the ball about a bit more than some!

Imurg

Visit site
Ah - you'll have a cracker anyway!!

Just play normally, if you feel you're holding up the group behind just let them through - no shame in it.

Have a good one.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ours is 36 holes but over 2 days. On Saturday we go out in handicap order. On Sunday the top 30 from Saturday go out in 'leaderboard' order.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours is June 9th and the same drawn in h/cap order with max 11, going off 1st and lowest last only about 30 play as 36 scratch in one day doesn't seem that appealing too most shame really as we get 150 plus for a normal 18 hole comp.

tyke

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours is June 9th and the same drawn in h/cap order with max 11, going off 1st and lowest last only about 30 play as 36 scratch in one day doesn't seem that appealing too most shame really as we get 150 plus for a normal 18 hole comp.

You could be playing with my younger brother, think he's off 10 or 11 at your place.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ours is 36 hole scratch medal, capped at cat one, followed by top 16 match play. We have 150 odd single figure golfers, of whom 100 odd don't get a look in, 47 odd cat ones, from which I think 9 odd are scratch or better.

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There's a net and gross trophy up for grabs at ours with an up limit of 18 for scoring purposes.

The field is tiny compared to - only about 60. 36 holes of medal golf clearly not appealing to many!

Imurg

Visit site
36 in one day is hard work for many - I'd struggle due to my knee and ankle.
I can play every day but 2 rounds in one day is pushing it for me.
I suspect many Seniors are the same as well as some high handicappers....

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
36 holes medal comp on the same day, best 8 gross scores for matchplay to find the winner great way to the find the club champ

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours is 36 over 2 days with a cut after the first day. Though it'll be my first year playing in it at my new club and only 2nd time I've played in such a comp as this is only my real 2nd full season playing as a member of a club with a handicap, and 3rd year of actually playing golf. My club last year did 36holes in one day with a limited field as you had to qualify for the final 36hole day as a lot of people when offered the chance to play 36 didn't want to.