Club Advice

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
I have currently got a club/clubs gap in my bag 4 utility to my 3 wood and am not sure with what to fill it with as i do not want to waste my money on getting the wrong club.

Any advice would be great thanks

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try out anything and everything, keep an open mind and choose the club/s you hit the best. Best going to a pro for his/her advice as they will be able to sort you out better than any of our suggestions will.

Good luck.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would go with a 2 utility or a 5 wood. I had the same gap and went for a 2 utilty as i find it easier to hit of the deck than a 5 wood

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went the other way and opted for the 5 wood. Find it fairy forgiving off the deck but also find it a useful option off the tee.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have currently got a club/clubs gap in my bag 4 utility to my 3 wood and am not sure with what to fill it with as i do not want to waste my money on getting the wrong club.

Any advice would be great thanks

Id get a 3 utility. work out how often you are going to need what club to fill that distance.

eg if your 4iron is 200yrds and your 3wood is 260yrds do you find yourself facing a 215 shot more often than a 240 yard shot? If its nearer the 215 mark then a 3u but if its nearer 240 most the time get a 2u/5w.

These distance are obviously going to be different for everyone but find your own out and you be ok.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd go with a 5 wood. Longer off the tee than the 4H (for short holes or tight drives), two options on long fairway shots (like 2nd par 5) with either 4H or 5W. You could try a 2H, but most players can take a bit off a 5 wood if you need.

T

thecraw

Just do a Seve and magic up some shots with your 3 wood, grip down the shaft, three quarter swing etc, or do a Tiger and punch your 3 wood with his trademark "stinger"!

I would tend to sway to a 5 wood myself if your looking to bridge the gap!

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally, i think a 5 wood is too similar to a 3 wood, when i had a 5 wood i used to hit it the exact same hight as my 3 wood with only a 10yd difference. my 2h there is about a 25 yard gap between 3w and 2h. It all depends on what clubs you feel more suited to, if you are a good wood player, consider a 5wood, good with irons, try a 2 or 3 hybrid.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
My current set up is driver, 5-wood, 2-hybrid, 4-hybrid. There is some logic involved - though not much.
I got the r7 driver and 5-w at the same time, there wasn't a 3-w available but haven't missed it (and if I do get a 3-w it will be a G10 not an r7).
I got the 2-h (Ben Sayers M1 - £25) because I wanted a way to keep the ball under the wind and this was cheap enough to experiment - it works.
I already had a 4-h though I'm having problems with it - I think it's too stiff; I get too much slice and not enough length.
My irons are 5-Sw and I find that I max out at around 170 with those. I'm considering getting 3-Sw for the next set (how are MX19's or Orka Kii's for length?).

If you can only get one club, I may be wrong but I'd go for the one that will give you better distance - you can always underhit for less distance, you can't stretch for more.

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks guys very helpful i think a 5 wood is going to be the way ahead.
And rightly said i can always take a bit off it if needed and it gives me i few more options

Thanks again :)