Close House

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My lad and I took the opportunity to go to the driving range at Close House this morning, not the cheapest but good quality range.
I am fancying a return visit to play golf on one of the 2 courses but was wondering if anyone had played the courses and what they thought. The whole set up seems to have an air of class about it and the holes I could see looked interesting, just wondering about a viewpoint from peeps who have played the course.

D

Deleted member 16999

My lad and I took the opportunity to go to the driving range at Close House this morning, not the cheapest but good quality range.
I am fancying a return visit to play golf on one of the 2 courses but was wondering if anyone had played the courses and what they thought. The whole set up seems to have an air of class about it and the holes I could see looked interesting, just wondering about a viewpoint from peeps who have played the course.
I went in March and did the 1 night, 2 rounds B&B for £99.00.
The whole setup like you say is top notch, we played the main course (The Colt) when it was wet and windy off the whites (most holes the yellows/whites/blacks were next to each other) it was in great condition, slightly exposed and hilly in places, great experience and well worth a visit, I would imagine it would be almost unenjoyable for us average handicaps off the back tees, proper man test😃

The other course (The Filly) we played the next day and apart from 2 holes is flat, again in excellent condition but not as hard as the other, either course is worth playing and if you can get the right price definitely worth a visit.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The Colt course, in the opinion of a lot of people, is overrated & of expensive. It's very hilly in parts, too hilly for it to be enjoyable. I've played I twice & wouldn't care if I never played it again. I'm not the only member of my club to feel that way, two of our former club champions hate it too.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Have a look at Crossfield's You Tube site - he has done a couple of V logs on the courses recently including a very entertaining round with Lee Westwood. Worth a look to give you a good insight into the course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Filly is the more golfer friendly course. The Colt is harder, good but not exceptional imo. Personally I would say play the Filly first, especially as the green fees at the Colt seem very steep. Both are very well kept.

There are better courses imo in the area but with Close House you are getting a full experience and it is a classy place.

I agree about the driving range, very nice. Add in the vending machine which is bonkers and it sets the tone for the place.

D

Deleted member 16999

The Filly is the more golfer friendly course. The Colt is harder, good but not exceptional imo. Personally I would say play the Filly first, especially as the green fees at the Colt seem very steep. Both are very well kept.

There are better courses imo in the area but with Close House you are getting a full experience and it is a classy place.

I agree about the driving range, very nice. Add in the vending machine which is bonkers and it sets the tone for the place.
Vending machine has gone mate, gutted, always wanted to buy a Hugo Boss polo or Laser Range Finder and bottle of coke at the same time :rofl:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Colt course, in the opinion of a lot of people, is overrated & of expensive. It's very hilly in parts, too hilly for it to be enjoyable. I've played I twice & wouldn't care if I never played it again. I'm not the only member of my club to feel that way, two of our former club champions hate it too.

Totally agree with the above

The filly is an enjoyable layout and worth a visit
I prefer it to the colt

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ha ha. I took a picture of it with my son in front of it. He couldn't believe it. Strangest mixture of stuff I've ever seen together. I'm sure some corporate credit cards gave it some hammer.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's because it's easier ;)

Just meant , decent layout , not a hard walk, but always in great condition.
I've friends that are members there, that prefer the filly over the Colt too

It's not the toughness of the Colt course that I dislike
Just felt underwhelmed when I played it
Course design isn't that great
Greens are totally crazy, which is its defence
If it wasn't for the immaculate condition, you'd struggle to remember much about it, actually that's the single biggest memory of the day I played it

Just feel with a ( literally ) money no object style budget, it's not a great course, or layout
Could have done so much better

D

Deleted member 16999

Just meant , decent layout , not a hard walk, but always in great condition.
I've friends that are members there, that prefer the filly over the Colt too

It's not the toughness of the Colt course that I dislike
Just felt underwhelmed when I played it
Course design isn't that great
Greens are totally crazy, which is its defence
If it wasn't for the immaculate condition, you'd struggle to remember much about it, actually that's the single biggest memory of the day I played it

Just feel with a ( literally ) money no object style budget, it's not a great course, or layout
Could have done so much better
The wink was a clue mate, I agree and like I said earlier for the average golfer it's more of a slog and not fun for me.
Filly at least gives you a chance but is still very tough.
If I go back I'd be more than happy to stick with the Filly, I've ticked off the Colt.

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
I live 5 mins from Close house, the facilities are top notch, never played the Colt, hard to justify the price, but will play it one day, just for my top 100 list. Played the filly several times through out its changes to over the years, its pretty challenging as it is greens are great.