Cleveland Smart Sole C(hipper)

Thread starter #1
Got the C wedge with the 4.0 edition smart sole (or words to that effect). Like the concept and it kind of works with one major caveat: the club is way too short for me. I play a 36 inch putter, my 8 iron is 36,75 inch, wedge is 36 inch...and here I have the C wedge at 34 inch. This led to me knifing longer chips, and the club not really working on fuller shots. So, as it hasn't managed to squeeze out my pitching wedge it has been relegated to the shed. However, always one to tinker: I will lengthen the club to 36 inch if possible and report back. Because when struck well, it really is a great approach club.

Tallballer

Got the C wedge with the 4.0 edition smart sole (or words to that effect). Like the concept and it kind of works with one major caveat: the club is way too short for me. I play a 36 inch putter, my 8 iron is 36,75 inch, wedge is 36 inch...and here I have the C wedge at 34 inch. This led to me knifing longer chips, and the club not really working on fuller shots. So, as it hasn't managed to squeeze out my pitching wedge it has been relegated to the shed. However, always one to tinker: I will lengthen the club to 36 inch if possible and report back. Because when struck well, it really is a great approach club.
Did you ever lengthen the club as I have the same issue?

Thread starter #3
Hi Tallballer, I haven't yet, as I have given the club to my father in law for the time being. He's struggling with the chipping yips and is banking on this club helping him out. He's quite a bit shorter than I am, and putts with a 34 inch putter - so it should be a better fit. If he does return it, I will be lengthening it and updating how I get on with it. I am pretty sure that it will be a great improvement. If one looks into the new Ping Chipr - that club is about 35 inch in length which seems eminently more reasonable

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Did you ever lengthen the club as I have the same issue?
I think the thinking behind the shorter shaft is for when players go down the shaft.
It gives a bit more control over the shot.
Making it longer might affect this concept.
Just my opinion I might be wrong.

Thread starter #5
I think the thinking behind the shorter shaft is for when players go down the shaft.
It gives a bit more control over the shot.
Making it longer might affect this concept.
Just my opinion I might be wrong.
No, I agree that that's probably the intention. But I am a bit taller and gifted with a bad back, which explains why I have a 36 inch putter - and need the Chipper to be longer than 34 inch. Making it longer is a reversible solution anyway, so if it doesn't work, no harm done

Thread starter #8
It's right handed, but I am located in The Netherlands... At the moment I am waiting for my preferred Golf Pride grip to come in....and it's awful weather haha