Clarification re Bunker penalties Please

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I saw this guide (See below) to the new rules and option 4 has been discussed but seems to contradict option 1 in some circumstances.

Option 1 seems to suggest I could replay the ball from its original position and only drop 1 shot.
This would be a great help to me (if true) as delicate shots over greenside bunkers are my weakness.

A player now has 4 options dropping from/in a bunker.

1. Drop and play the ball from the position of your last shot (1 penalty stroke)
2. Take a drop in the bunker on the same line as your ball/pin (1 penalty stroke)
3. Take a drop in the bunker withing 2 club lengths, no closer to the hole (1 penalty shot)

4. Drop out of the bunker, keeping the same line as your ball/pin as far back as you like (2 penalty shots)

D

Deleted member 16999

I saw this guide (See below) to the new rules and option 4 has been discussed but seems to contradict option 1 in some circumstances.

Option 1 seems to suggest I could replay the ball from its original position and only drop 1 shot.
This would be a great help to me (if true) as delicate shots over greenside bunkers are my weakness.

1. Drop and play the ball from the position of your last shot (1 penalty stroke)
2. Take a drop in the bunker on the same line as your ball/pin (1 penalty stroke)
3. Take a drop in the bunker withing 2 club lengths, no closer to the hole (1 penalty shot)

4. Drop out of the bunker, keeping the same line as your ball/pin as far back as you like (2 penalty shots)
Here’s the diagram:
Option 1 is Stroke and Distance, it could help for the fluffed delicate shots, but you could also go in the bunker from a tee shot or a long 2nd into the green. Choose your option wisely.

Attachments

• 655C016A-12A0-46AB-96FB-B5477723B43A.jpeg
    655C016A-12A0-46AB-96FB-B5477723B43A.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 11

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
1 is effectively stroke and distance, 4 is stroke and stroke

They are different options. 1 is always available anywhere on the course. 4 is specific to balls in the bunker area of the course.

D

Deleted member 16999

Thanks Paul.
The distance element wouldn't matter to me though if I'd gone into the bunker from a NITBY type shot.
Agreed, it’s just to remember what option you are calling so as to ensure whoever your playing alongside understands, in theory 1 and 4 could be played from the exact same spot.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
in your scenario you would take option 1 and replay from the same place for a 1 shot penalty, you could also take option 4 and go back on the line for a2 shot penalty if you so desired.

D

Deleted member 16999

1 is effectively stroke and distance, 4 is stroke and stroke

They are different options. 1 is always available anywhere on the course. 4 is specific to balls in the bunker area of the course.
Just thinking out loud and my previous post:
Scenario,
Your shot lands just short of a bunker and your next shot you fluff into the bunker.
Why take the 2 Stroke penalty when you can call stroke and distance?
Could lead to possible confusion if players don’t explain what penalty they are taking.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Option 1 has always been available. Previously option 4 was not.
The above 4 options apply to penalty relief for an unplayable ball. It is not quite the same for free relief from a puddle or other abnormal ground condition in a bunker

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just thinking out loud and my previous post:
Scenario,
Your shot lands just short of a bunker and your next shot you fluff into the bunker.
Why take the 2 Stroke penalty when you can call stroke and distance?
Could lead to possible confusion if players don’t explain what penalty they are taking.
As always, clarity is everything.

On the thinking out loud side, I fail to see how taking a stroke penalty to drop the ball on the wrong side of the bunker (again) is going to be a great help to skypilot....he just ends up facing the same problem but with 3 extra strokes on his card, if he's already plopped it into the bunker from close quarters once. 🤔

D

Deleted member 16999

As always, clarity is everything.

On the thinking out loud side, I fail to see how taking a stroke penalty to drop the ball on the wrong side of the bunker (again) is going to be a great help to skypilot....he just ends up facing the same problem but with 3 extra strokes on his card, if he's already plopped it into the bunker from close quarters once. 🤔
Thanks for that, wasn’t meaning in Skypilot scenario, just an everyday/anyday event.
No problems, cheers(y)