Chromium salts causing birth defects: Is your glove safe?

The Smell of Golf

Visit site
Chromium salts used in the production of leather golf gloves cause enviromental pollution and poison the water that people drink. I would like to "Ask the Experts" if there could be residual chrome salts still in the leather and if these could have an adverse effect on my health.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your enforced early rising for work to earn little money is obviously affecting your rational. With all of the golfers on the planet both passed and present, with the majority wearing a glove, I would in my honest humble amateur status predict it fairly safe. On top of that with multi million pound stars also wearing said item, in my host humble amateur status predict it to be more than fairly safe.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’m 60 years old, and the tackle has long since had the fuse removed. I don’t think there’s much to worry about for me.

D

Deleted member 1147

I reckon you’re screwed mate 👎
Sorry 😟🤒🤮

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chromium salts used in the production of leather golf gloves cause enviromental pollution and poison the water that people drink. I would like to "Ask the Experts" if there could be residual chrome salts still in the leather and if these could have an adverse effect on my health.

Says who and on what basis?

And given that the majority of golf gloves are not made of leather these days ...

(And come to think of it, why golf gloves?)

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Has there been a study done ? If the % of babies of golfers with defects was measurably higher than the % of the non golfing population then I'm sure it'd probably have been sussed that there was a problem somewhere by now. If you can't substantiate the claim it's hardly worth talking about

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

No.

Chrome is electroplated metalic chromium and, as such, there will not be any 'chrome salts'.

However, if this is merely a typographical error on your part and you intended to write 'chromium salts' in your question then the answer is obviously yes, there could be residual salts in the leather used in a particular golf glove and, yes, they could have an adverse effect on your health.

Then again, approximately 90% of the surface area of most golf irons is pure chromium - maybe wearing that glove represents a good investment in your health...