choices, choices...............

The People's Republic of Leith, Edinburgh
Visit site
Hey everyone - trust all enjoying the festive season

Having decided to invest in a new set of weapons I went to the range today and tested Mizuno MP52, TaylorMade R9 & Ping i15's

Initially I absolutely detested the MP52's but after 150 balls I'm now torn between the R9's & the MP52 - (I've managed to eliminate the i15's as I found them just a little too "clunky" for my taste) - while I got on with the R9's immediately and hit them consistently straight and remarkably long,l it took me until the last dozen balls or so to really get to grips with the mizzies properly, eventually matching the TMs for distance & accuracy

As I found the TMs easier I am currently leaning towards them but is this just the lazy man's choice???!!? should I "man-up" and go for the Mizunos???!!?!!?

choices, choices.........

kev

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Traditionally a TM man but never go on with the R9's I had and went for the TP's I currently use. I liked the 52's a lot but struggled with the 4 iron and couldn't get to grips with that at all. As everyone knows I'm a huge, huge I15 fan and despite their looks I think they are a great club. However although I hit them great at the range, once I got a set out onto grass they weren't as consistant for me and so I decided to stick with my current bats.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with the 52's as they will hold some PX value when it comes to trading them in at some point. However to add a small fly to the ointment, have you considered the R9 TP's which may give you a slighlty more penertrating flight and have a slightly smaller head and thinner topline

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm probably upgrading from MX20's to R9's.

I've found a place that will do them for £299 over the road from work (www.golfdepot.co.uk had some sets for that, so they've price-matched).

Just off to try out the wedge and 8 iron (I've tried the 4 and 6).

To be honest though, I'd suggest comparing the MP52's with the R9 is a trifle off... MP52's and R9 TP irons, maybe.

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For what it's worth I had the R9's and they literally fell apart. I had to send them back after about 6 weeks as the heads started flying off, very nearly hit someone when the head came off the 7 iron, if it hit him he'd have been killed. 4 heads came off, sent them back to be re-glued and when they came back the badges started falling off the back of the heads. Only cosmetic but still rubbish build quality.

Never got on with them as clubs but not sure if that was because I thought they were going to disintegrate on every shot. Never got so much as an apology from TM UK, wouldn't touch another TM club

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
For what it's worth I had the R9's and they literally fell apart. I had to send them back after about 6 weeks as the heads started flying off, very nearly hit someone when the head came off the 7 iron, if it hit him he'd have been killed. 4 heads came off, sent them back to be re-glued and when they came back the badges started falling off the back of the heads. Only cosmetic but still rubbish build quality.

Never got on with them as clubs but not sure if that was because I thought they were going to disintegrate on every shot. Never got so much as an apology from TM UK, wouldn't touch another TM club

I don't know if you used them but apparently iron head covers will make the heads come away from the shaft.

Apparently, they're great for use whilst transporting and playing but when the clubs are 'lying idle' the iron covers should be removed. If they're not, they retain moisture which makes its way between the shaft and the club head, eventually rotting the glue.

If you didn't use iron head covers then I'll shut up... :eek:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have another crack with the i15's . . . I was 50/50 between the mp52's and the i15's, but at the end of the day, when i caught both out of the middle there was no real difference in feel. Given the pings were more forgiving and in my case a club longer i went for the old mans choice (and im only 32 !!)

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I don't know if you used them but apparently iron head covers will make the heads come away from the shaft.

Apparently, they're great for use whilst transporting and playing but when the clubs are 'lying idle' the iron covers should be removed. If they're not, they retain moisture which makes its way between the shaft and the club head, eventually rotting the glue.

If you didn't use iron head covers then I'll shut up... :eek:

I didn't so, erm, shut it ;)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have another crack with the i15's . . . I was 50/50 between the mp52's and the i15's, but at the end of the day, when i caught both out of the middle there was no real difference in feel. Given the pings were more forgiving and in my case a club longer i went for the old mans choice (and im only 32 !!)

Not Old mans any longer Junior....Im waiting on mine and im only 35.....
There's a saying here in Ireland.."The old dog for the long road"
Maybe there's a hidden message in the phrase everyone keeps saying "Pings are for old men"....
Maybe these so called old men know something that everyone else doesnt ;)

TobyRich1928

Head Pro
Visit site

Not Old mans any longer Junior....Im waiting on mine and im only 35.....
There's a saying here in Ireland.."The old dog for the long road"
Maybe there's a hidden message in the phrase everyone keeps saying "Pings are for old men"....
Maybe these so called old men know something that everyone else doesnt ;)

im only 15!!! but i love them :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Question? Why the MP-52s when the MP-53s are out?

True, but I expect the price is good now.

Personally, it's a no-brainer. I reckon you've got to be freakishly good to make the most of the R9s.

The People's Republic of Leith, Edinburgh
Visit site
after a couple of (h'over induced) false starts I finally made it back to the range, and after extensive testing I have ended up with....... drum roll.......

R9TP's........... from reading everyone's replies I realise that this may be a controversial choice, but for me they were by far more accurate than the i15's, MP52's or 53's..........

Having now bought them, I'll no doubt go in a huff with them in a few days/weeks/months and wish I'd bought something else!! ;0)

thanks for all of your input

HAPPY NEW YEAR!