Chipping yips

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
As per the title, I need help with this.

My name is James and I'm a yip o Holic :(

Anyone find a way to dig themselves out of this pit of despair?

On the practice ground I'm fine but on course I fall apart and it's getting me down a lot.

Thanks again.

JT

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Currently going through a similar process JT, I started a thread recently about mind coaches yet havent managed to locate one to work with sadly. If you read the thread there is some helpful advice in amongst the usual hero responses who never have any problems.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?51851-Mental-coaches-anyone-used-one

For me I had a quick check up with my pro techinique wise and he pointed out 2 issues. One was inconsistent ball position and the second was too much wrists in certain shots. In addition I went back over the Rotella book about getting out of your own way.

I am now trying to follow a pretty simple process on chips/pitches; visualise the shot from behind, get set up correctly paying attention to grip and ball position, then clearing all technical thoughts, staring at the flag/hole for 5 seconds or so, telling myself to trust my ability to hit it in/close and then pulling the trigger.

Only been going a few weeks but making some progress for sure and judging success on following the process not where the ball goes (and ultimately getting much better results), long way on the journey still though I think. On the plus side technically my short game is pretty sound, on the downside my mindset has a longway to go!

Good luck with it, its no fun at all standing over approach shots knowing you cant miss a green or your going through it all over again with the short game

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
watching this thread closely as I too have been stuck down with this affliction :eek:

I reckon I must be losing height/not keeping my shoulders level as I'm chunking most bad ones,

If only there was a freely available training aid to help with my short game :D

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks fundy. I think the two points sum me up technique wise. Too wristy and constant changes to ball placement. Working on that and it's helping but mentally I'm a disaster on course. Will get a look at the thread in a bit and I have rosella on audio in car lol just dld Karl Morris too so will see if it helps.
Cheers

S

Snelly

When I see people with chipping woes, invariably the cause is the backswing being too long leading to varying degrees of deceleration through impact.

As a solution, perhaps try this - take your pitching wedge and have your hands slightly forward (2-3 inches) of the clubface. Play the ball from the middle of your narrow stance. Think of the stroke as a long putt with not too much backswing and plenty of follow through. Make sure you see the club hit the ball. Try this with a 9 iron or sand iron until you get the trajectory and roll that you prefer then stick with it. And remember to focus on the spot you want the ball to land rather than the pin.

I was taught this method as a child by a professional that could chip like God and it has always been a good way of chipping under pressure for me. Not much can go wrong with this method as the wrists are quiet and the mechanics are simple.

Hope this helps.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
When I see people with chipping woes, invariably the cause is the backswing being too long leading to varying degrees of deceleration through impact.

As a solution, perhaps try this - take your pitching wedge and have your hands slightly forward (2-3 inches) of the clubface. Play the ball from the middle of your narrow stance. Think of the stroke as a long putt with not too much backswing and plenty of follow through. Make sure you see the club hit the ball. Try this with a 9 iron or sand iron until you get the trajectory and roll that you prefer then stick with it. And remember to focus on the spot you want the ball to land rather than the pin.

I was taught this method as a child by a professional that could chip like God and it has always been a good way of chipping under pressure for me. Not much can go wrong with this method as the wrists are quiet and the mechanics are simple.

Hope this helps.

I'm going to give this a blast. My chipping is pretty good, but this seems a really sound way to do it.

Oh

And it's nice to see you back on the boards again Snelly :thup: . Don't be a stranger.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd be surprised if you really have True Yips - which I have had the unfortunate discomfort of seeing a couple of guys, one a Pro, struggle with!

Chipping trouble, in reasonably competent golfers, tends to be either too much back-swing or too much wrist - or maybe a combination. Snelly's method, perhaps adjusted for loft or ground conditions, seems pretty sound.

True Yips seems to be some sort of panic about not having the right technique for the shot to be played. Both guys overcame their yips by changing their technique - the Am using the Claw technique that overcame his putting yips; the Pro still has a few wobbles, but better technique (for him)and more confidence in putting has helped him lose the tension that kills chips.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fh when I stand over a ball that's inside 30 yards or so that I can't putt then I feel scared to hit it as I don't know wether it's going to come out flying or stuffed three feet in front of me. I can neither get the club back or through without fear of the shot that's about to happen so u tell me if it's the yips as I'd happily call it something else.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fh when I stand over a ball that's inside 30 yards or so that I can't putt then I feel scared to hit it as I don't know wether it's going to come out flying or stuffed three feet in front of me. I can neither get the club back or through without fear of the shot that's about to happen so u tell me if it's the yips as I'd happily call it something else.

Yips is when you are SO scared that you can't even take the club back. I've had the 'I wonder whether I'm going to fat ot thin this one's - cured by putt-chipping for half an hour at a time for a fortnight and working out a technique, ignoring the bad ones. If you have the True Yips, you have my sincere sympathy. As posted, improved technique tends to help. Here's a link that might be worth considering - also not True Yips imo.http://www.revolutiongolf.com/home/video/2247984282001

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty much the same as Snelly. Once I've had a few practice swings the only thing I think about is where I want the ball to land. Forget all thoughts of technique and just do it.

From a bit further back it's the same process for me. I guess I start to break my wrists the further I want the ball to go, but I don't think about doing it - just think about the landing spot and hit it.

You have to trust yourself regardless of any shots that have gone before. Easier said than done, but you have to try.

If you catch a lot of chips and pitches fat, another thing to check on as well as decelerating is too much body movement. It's only a gentle turn at most.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the best bits of info picked up on here was the mental image of trying to chip the ball under a club on 2baskets as posted by Bob.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yips is when you are SO scared that you can't even take the club back. I've had the 'I wonder whether I'm going to fat ot thin this one's - cured by putt-chipping for half an hour at a time for a fortnight and working out a technique, ignoring the bad ones. If you have the True Yips, you have my sincere sympathy. As posted, improved technique tends to help. Here's a link that might be worth considering - also not True Yips imo.http://www.revolutiongolf.com/home/video/2247984282001

another good chipping video. they all preach the same rules. weight left side, decending blow, keep the hands slighly ahead.

i gave my brother a little lesson on sunday telling him to try this method after hearing about him doing his usual skulling every chip ruining a good round. he is now happy he knows what he should be doing. once you nail this technique you can then get creative with how much you would like the ball travel before rolling out. as mentioned above, pick your landing spot, igonre the flag and the rest should fall into place...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My pro is getting me to focus more on the landing zone and ot worry about the technique. Gone back to the linear method. My problem in my mind is I have a quick tempo in practice when it is going well but I decelerate on the course whent he pressure gets to me. Still a long way from perfect as my round yesterday testified. I am prepared to stick with it though

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I had the chipping yips, and it is true you can't take the club back. I just knew I was going to shank the ball. It is all in the mind. I tried chipping left hand below right, and even tried a chipper.:eek: In the end I gave up the game for years, as there was just no enjoyment. Now I putt from off the green whenever I can, or just play the ball well back in the stance and use a very short backswing. Not great but at least I can get round at the moment.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went after work Garry and played a few holes. Took time at each to work on my chips and short pitches. I had spent an hour in the garden yesterday so was trying to take it to the course. I found it tough. Forcing myself to go through my routine properly Nd take time to pick a landing spot and not just rush to get the shot over. I tried to apply pressure in getting them up and down and found it ok in practice but on our par 5 third I had a 20 yard shot to play and I went and rushed and duffed it so it is a work in progress. I know I can do it, I just have to believe more. Getting my zen golf back I had lent to a friend do I'm hoping to get my breathing back under control which I'm hoping can slow my rhythm.
Thanks for asking and the advice, I really appreciate it.