Chipping with a lob wedge of a hard / dusty type of lie

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you do it ????? Give me a 6i to a 52 degree wedge and I can chip great, however, a short 10 yard shot off a tight lie over a bunker and i'm goosed.

What works for you???

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Knob to side of bunker then putt on to green

Thin through green

Or knob in to bunker.

3 options I have tried all 3 and all 3 work well

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Low bounce wedge and use whatever bounce it has to help get under it, dont think about hitting the ball, more sliding the club under it. You do need to approach shots like that with a realistic mentality though, dont go pin seeking, just make sure you clear the trouble and get enough height to keep it on the green.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
That was a superb clip - I'd love to see more of that kind of thing. The top pros talking about what they are doing and why - why this sort of shot bot that one, why this club, and then how to sing and play it. He explained that so clearly and easily. I'd still go for the thinned stinger across the green to finish tight against a tree on the other side, as that's my "go to" short game shot, whenever I'm withing 20 yards of a green. I can play it with amazing regularity.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That very scenario cost me a 7 on a par 3 on Saturday despite the fact I know how to play the shot, head goes mental, hands go all flippy and into the bunker it goes every time.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would chip left or right of the bunker and take the bogey.

Or should I say, I should do that, but I'd go for the improbable shot and make a double at best. Not an easy shot at all.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think I would be taking a drop from the path (Oooch! my wedge would feel Phils shot) From the hard lie I would use a 60 deg, shaft vertical, ball middle and slide the head through. It gets e ball up, not very high but enough to clear the bunker.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
heres phil to show you how its done :)

[video=youtube;7d68hydVbWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d68hydVbWA[/video]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i would still do something similar to phil. open up a wedge and hit it slightly fat. ball pops us nicely. i wouldnt take a crazy big swing. small swing and full follow through.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd go with my sand wedge, ball back in stance, forward shaft lean to deloft and take off the bounce and accept it will go lower and roll out further but will still hopefully be on the green and putting next.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
heres phil to show you how its done :)

[video=youtube;7d68hydVbWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d68hydVbWA[/video]

Cheers Gaz, great vid. I can ope the club up when the balls sat nice on a tuft of grass, but if i opened up the club of a dust bowl lie then im afraid its an unmentionable or a shin high bullet over the other side of the green :) :) :)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
That very scenario cost me a 7 on a par 3 on Saturday despite the fact I know how to play the shot, head goes mental, hands go all flippy and into the bunker it goes every time.

Same here mate, next to a par 5 in 2, walk off with a 7 !!!!!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats not the same as the tight lies we get in this country....dry, dusty and brick hard

Your right bob, its hard to hit that type of shot off baked mud. I'll be taking my medicine and trying to just get it on the green 15/20 ft away as opposed to trying to knock it stiff.