Chip on car bumper

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
So some b@@@rd made a small chip on the rear bumper of my car. It's a plastic bumper and it's white.

The chip is about 5mmx2mm and black! So very small but very annoying as the car is one year old.

Question number one: is it fixable? A friend of mine for a slightly bigger crack had to change the entire bumper for a total of £1,400. If I change mine is probably going to be even more.

Question number two: is there a DIY way to paint a plastic white (not metal) bumper?

Thanks in advance for any help.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes you can get car colour matched bumper paint. From most car factors. But best to go to the spares dept. Where you got the car from. I had a nissan with silver plastic bumpers. That someone scraped. Went to nissan and they had matching paint in spray cans no problem.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesnt sound like a bad mark , depending on what part of bumper it is you could get a touch up paint aplicator from a main dealer & touch it in ... wont rust as its plastic .. If you go for repair it gets costly as to repair a bit like that it has to be rubbed down , mayb filled if its chipped, primed then treated , a larger section (maybe half the bumper gets blown in) then to blend in the repair, (flashed its called)then its varnished (laquered) & oven baked.. so the price goes up up up .. what make/model is it

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would pay for a smart repair guy to come out and do it, they are not that expensie and will be guaranteed to blend in, unlike DIY repairs that can fade, crumble or break and look just as bad.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Take it to southend seafront. There are lots of people there who can repaint a car. Just expect it to be lime green or dayglo orange by the time they are finished with it. Still... won't be chipped anymore.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's a bumper. It's going to get chipped. Whilst it is nice to try to keep cars immaculate, they get battered quite quickly. Most of mine end up covered in small dents. Joys of driving and working in London.

Certainly not worth splurging 2k on. Someone could do it again next week, and again the week after.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As others have suggested I'd do it myself.

Painting plastic can be tricky as you'd normally have to have an additive in the paint to make it flexible as the bumper flexes even without being hit, but it's such a small area I think it would be ok without the additive so a dealers touch up will do.