Chasing Scratch Podcast

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Anybody listened to this?

Just came across it, 5-10 mins into episode 1 and so far it seems like a decent listen.

General premise is two golfing friends in their 30's off 11, in pursuit of scratch without becoming deadbeat husbands, terrible parents or bad employees.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Never heard of it before now but I'll give it a go as it sounds right up my street.
Shame there isn't more golfing podcasts really, although I guess Golf lends itself more to the video side of things.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like me 😂”32 ,married ,two kids ,work and off a 12 handicap “
but I don’t know about the getting to scratch bit 😂

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Anybody listened to this?

Just came across it, 5-10 mins into episode 1 and so far it seems like a decent listen.

General premise is two golfing friends in their 30's off 11, in pursuit of scratch without becoming deadbeat husbands, terrible parents or bad employees.
Unless they are pretty new to golf they would have to sacrifice alot more time than they currently do to even get close to scratch, the difference between 11 and scratch is massive so something would have to give unless as I say they are very athletic with natural hand eye coordination and new to the game. So something else in their lives would have to suffer to achieve that goal. I play off scratch get down to plus 1 back up to scratch you get the picture, but my first ever handicap at 19 was 10 and within less than a year I was off 4 so you get the picture. I wouldn't fancy their chances to be honest

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Unless they are pretty new to golf they would have to sacrifice alot more time than they currently do to even get close to scratch, the difference between 11 and scratch is massive so something would have to give unless as I say they are very athletic with natural hand eye coordination and new to the game. So something else in their lives would have to suffer to achieve that goal. I play off scratch get down to plus 1 back up to scratch you get the picture, but my first ever handicap at 19 was 10 and within less than a year I was off 4 so you get the picture. I wouldn't fancy their chances to be honest

They don’t themselves, and their peers who they put the question to don’t either. There not naive about it, it’s more of a challenge between themselves to improve if nothing else that they’re sharing. I don’t know how it has planned out yet but the podcasts cover their 18 month journey of attempting to get as low as possible.

It’s more of them having fun in the process, and highlighting their ups and downs and the changes they’re making to try and improve their golf.

I can’t see them getting much lower than 5 myself but they both have massive weaknesses in their game which they are trying to address which could see them improve by 4/5 shots each without even addressing course management, mindset etc.

It’sall good fun, would love for them to achieve such a feat but there’s a huge skill gap between 4/5 and scratch nevernind 11.

Wolf

Visit site
Thanks to this thread I've managed to listen to 11 Episodes of this so far this week alone.

Got right into it as its different from the normal Podcasts and they really to let you feel their pain. It's pretty entertaining to with how they berate each other, and explain how hard it really is.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Been listening to this in the car for the past few days. Maybe 5 or 6 episodes in.

It's interesting and well put together, but I'm hugely frustrated that they are approaching this the wrong way.

Ultimately it is going to be almost impossible for a recreational golfer to improve significantly beyond a level they have been playing at for ages without a lot of hours of coaching to get more accurate / consistent, and possibly a bit longer. Likely also quite a bit in terms of short game technique and shot selection.

They are also not prioritising the short game sufficiently with too many conversations about driving and new clubs. At one point one of them was talking about getting a lesson on short game and then said he was going to split the lesson between short game and swing!

Also, if they are mainly concerned about getting to a 0 handicap - they should be playing mainly at the same course most of the time (one that suits their game) that they can get to know and picking their 'scoring' rounds for days with decent conditions. Going on golf trips to courses you aren't familiar with is a pretty much failed strategy (I'd guess).

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Got into this via the recommendation - 15 episodes in and thoroughly enjoying it - they've done well so far. Some brilliantly funny parts and some also brilliant 'Why won't they just learn?' parts too.

Springveldt

Visit site
I don't normally listen to Podcasts but gave this a go a couple of weeks ago and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Listened to quite a few episodes while working in the garden over the bank holiday and have been listening while in work.

Can definitely relate to their issues and frustrations, especially the YouTube binges.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm fully up to date now awaiting upcoming episodes, been a good listen but can't deny frustrated as highlighted above by some of their choices which have hindered progress.

Makes it funnier in some regards though, had me smirking at work on numerous occasions.

Dannyg410

Visit site
I'm returning to golf after a 15yr break and found this very interesting and frustrating ! how can you change course all the time and expect to make the improvements they want ! also to much driver not enough short game. but i do hope they make it , hope for all of us .
most of all it makes me smile

D

Deleted member 25172

A bump on this as it has evolved into youtube as well. I still enjoy it as much as when it started. They'll never reach scratch, which in all fairness is just the name of the show at this point, but they keep it entertaining, and I'm happy with that.