Changing the shaft in a club?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never done it and probably never will but am looking at a driver on Ebay which mentions some damage near the hosel. Asked the seller what said damage is as photos not great and it's "a paint bubble from a replacement of the shaft".

Does that sound possible/likely or not??

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The heat is applied to remove the shaft, and too much heat will result in damage to the shaft being removed and possibly ruining the paint on the head.

Ahh I see. So is it likely to just be cosmetic rather than creating a weakness?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ahh I see. So is it likely to just be cosmetic rather than creating a weakness?

Highly unlikely to be any damage to the head (depends on the head itself as some heads have some strange construction methods), more likely to be exactly as they described just a paint defect after being heated too much.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Highly unlikely to be any damage to the head (depends on the head itself as some heads have some strange construction methods), more likely to be exactly as they described just a paint defect after being heated too much.

Thanks. Have asked the seller to send more pictures. Likely to be fine and a bargain so will probably take a punt :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
What are you doing buying another driver ya dozy Doris ? ;)

Well...a month or so ago I bagged a bargain K15 in Soft Reg and love it. No more fades and a nice soft draw which I (mainly) control. Distance is up and accuracy off the scale - hardly miss a fairway. It was £40 and sold so poorly that no-one but little old me found it :) The one I'm eyeing up is the same spec but 10.5 degrees loft rather than 12 and I fancy a go to see if I can eek out some more yardage with the lower loft.

Worth a punt you think??

To be fair I did hit the G15 nicely once I watched about a minute of a Mark Crossfield video. Knew I was coming ott but couldn't seem to stop doing it. He mentioned much of that can be due to incorrect club face and as soon as I paid heed to that and kept it square and solid things really looked up. The slight offset and weighting on the K15 makes it easier for me to do that as always have a tendancy to open the club face on every club!

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Worth a punt you think??

I'm not sure you will necessarily gain distance, but it depends...

Let's assume you have a ballspeed of around 125mph (around 85mph clubhead speed) and you spin the ball at around 3000rpm, then higher launch is your friend at least when it comes to carry.

You'd be looking at 185yds at 12* launch, 190yds at 14* launch and 194yds at 16* launch. The shorter carry shots would roll a little more though, due to a shallower angle of descent.

If the club is cheap though, then no reason not to give it a go. :)

Edit: your spin will likely reduce slightly for the lower launch drives and increase slightly for the higher launch drives, but the principle remains.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure you will necessarily gain distance, but it depends...

Let's assume you have a ballspeed of around 125mph (around 85mph clubhead speed) and you spin the ball at around 3000rpm, then higher launch is your friend at least when it comes to carry.

You'd be looking at 185yds at 12* launch, 190yds at 14* launch and 194yds at 16* launch. The shorter carry shots would roll a little more though, due to a shallower angle of descent.

If the club is cheap though, then no reason not to give it a go. :)

Edit: your spin will likely reduce slightly for the lower launch drives and increase slightly for the higher launch drives, but the principle remains.

Thanks. I have always tended to launch the ball a little high and can get too much spin so wondered if a lower loft would reduce the launch angle and spin and result in more distance?? Not that I'm short off the tee but would be nice to eek out a bit more and certainly a bit more roll...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks. I have always tended to launch the ball a little high and can get too much spin so wondered if a lower loft would reduce the launch angle and spin and result in more distance?? Not that I'm short off the tee but would be nice to eek out a bit more and certainly a bit more roll...

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the driver loft isn't going to be 'the answer'

By all means experiment, that won't so any harm, but don't get fixated on loft.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
TBH I think I would be more concerned about the paint bubble. Just sounds like to much heat has been used and will probably have weakened the shaft around the hosel. The head wont have been damaged but the shaft at that insertion point would be a worry for me. Of course if you could get it for a decent price you could always have it re-shafted.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the driver loft isn't going to be 'the answer'

By all means experiment, that won't so any harm, but don't get fixated on loft.

To be honest I'm thinking the same and also what MGL says about potential damage has me wondering. I know my technique can improve as can be a bit steep at times. Decision made - stick with the 12 degree which really does suit me and work on delivering the club better!

D

deanobillquay

TBH I think I would be more concerned about the paint bubble. Just sounds like to much heat has been used and will probably have weakened the shaft around the hosel. The head wont have been damaged but the shaft at that insertion point would be a worry for me. Of course if you could get it for a decent price you could always have it re-shafted.

But not by you...

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To be fair as was mentioned earlier heat is applied to remove a shaft not insert it. You indicated it was a replacement shaft so it's likely to be the one that came out that may have been exposed to too much heat. That's not to say the replacement wasn't subject to too much heat if it was extracted from somewhere unless it was a new shaft going in.

I almost think it would be better to have heads and shafts made with no discernible marks on them, then players might settle on something they hit well rather than looking at the 'greener' grass elsewhere.

I've seen threads suggest in the past that some brand manufacturers have flexier shafts than the reading might suggest and more lofted heads. I sometimes wonder if that's to counter golfers seeming to want a stiffer shafted, less lofted driver (if I can hit this well, what would I do with a ...) and help give then something they have a chance of hitting. It's seems a shame they don't go down that route with shaft length, though I guess that's too easy to check.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
if I can hit this well, what would I do with a ...

Exactly what I'm suffering from as the K15 is a delight to hit and has improved my driving stats. So sticking with the 12 degree and will look at ball position/set up options to see if I can bring the height down a bit...

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site

But why would the currnet shaft be damaged, surely they wouldn't have heated THAT shaft. Can't see any reason for heating a shaft to that extent and then reinstalling it (ok there are plenty of people that instal shafts in many heads etc, but it would be very strange to hear someone heating a head to that extent and reinstalling the same shaft)

Would make much more sense to hear that this shaft is new, and the old shaft broke or was replaced .... and hence it's the old one that is/was damaged.