Changing shafts

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
:)

anyone have any constructive ideas?

thanks

magic wand? :)

more seriously can you give a little more advice as to the type of club (driver, hybrid, iron) the nature of the shaft (graphite, steel) and probably most importantly the actual 2 club heads involved........if you are asking the question I suspect the issue of shaft diameters, tapers etc will need resolving for you.

if it's irons and steel then it's likely to be easy without special tools or too many concerns - if it's a driver and graphite.............

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks duncan, looking to take a kbs tour wedge shaft from an xft wedge to go in to my cg12 dsg wedge and put the tt wedge flex into the tm wedge.
thanks

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
thanks duncan, looking to take a kbs tour wedge shaft from an xft wedge to go in to my cg12 dsg wedge and put the tt wedge flex into the tm wedge.
thanks

assuming they are both the same tip size, and given the ease of the job it's probably as easy to pull apart to check as look it up, you need a thick (heat resistant) left hand gardening glove (or oven glove :) ) and an electric heat gun (paint stripped type) - but you can get away with careful use of a blowtorch :)

gently heat up the hosel area of one cub for about 20 - 30 secs normally works, then grip the club head in the gloved hand, grip in the other, and twist/pull off. If it moves it will come off, if it doesn't add more heat and try again.

clean up the inside of the hosel and the outside of the shaft well and refit with araldite or similar epoxy.

lots of you0tube videos on doing it

there's also the small matter of that little plastic bit above the hozel if fitted!

Last edited:

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
To get the ferrul off so you can reuse it, submerge the head and ferrul under hot water for a minute and you will be able to pull it up the shaft.

I generally use a blow torch to head the hozel up but always use care not to use to much heat. Steel shafts are easy as you can just twist them out, graphite you need a proper puller to prevent damaging the shaft.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've given up trying to save ferrules; it's just too much hassle.

And just to be clear to anyone reading the above... the instructions provided should only be used for STEEL shafts. Whilst its theoretically possible to hand pull graphite shafts, you really need a shaft puller. I hand pulled once and will never do it again... disaster! I have a shaft puller now so no issues.

Ps. Duncan - have you used araldite before? Any problems? I've only ever used shaft epoxy and don't plan to change, but would be interested.