Challenge tour event V European Tour event

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
How different is a course and how its set up for a Challenge tour event V a European Tour event

When I watch the challenge tour almost without fail there are dozens of players capable of shooting rounds in the mid 60’s and many of them with a 4 round score 15-20 under par or even better (a score that would win most ET events)

Yet clearly these players aren’t good enough to score the same on an ET event

Which brings the only difference to be the course and how its set up. So I’m curious to know what's different?

Course length, green speed? I wouldn't have thought these two areas would be that far away

Thoughts?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say that the average course played on the challenge tour is around 7000yds -

This is the details for the course they played in Egypt earlier in the year.

http://www.europeantour.com/challengetour/season=2016/tournamentid=2016720/venue/index.html

the quality of course also isn't as good, Heythrop Park being used in a couple of weeks is a good example.

Not sure on the set up, i would expect that given the issues in attracting sponsorship to the lower tours, they wouldn't be set up as tough because you want to 'show off' the quality

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I always wonder, how much the mental side comes into it as well. Most Challenge Tour events don't attract that many spectators, there are usually no tv cameras, the price money is way lower. I guess, for large parts of a round, it does not feel so different from a monthly medal to the players. Coming from that into the limelight of the European Tour events must add quite a bit of extra pressure on a new player.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Dunno the answer but that's one of the most interesting questions on here for a while!

Cheers, it struck me watching the NI Open highlights this morning

Ryan Fox wins it at -19 (scores this for the second time in 2 months) yet he struggles to even make the cut on the ET (only using this guy as an example as there's others too)

I see the courses on the ET with very similar green speeds and overall length to the CT and Ryan plays on the ET also but shows no sign of getting close to these scores regardless of position in the field

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cheers, it struck me watching the NI Open highlights this morning

Ryan Fox wins it at -19 (scores this for the second time in 2 months) yet he struggles to even make the cut on the ET (only using this guy as an example as there's others too)

I see the courses on the ET with very similar green speeds and overall length to the CT and Ryan plays on the ET also but shows no sign of getting close to these scores regardless of position in the field

Might also be something to do with the quality of the field as well???

Only courses ive played that have held either of those comps has been Moray (EP)and Castle Stuart (ET)and i don't think there was much difference on either from normal condition maybe the greens were a bit faster, but not by much. Also pit positions are are bit harder as well maybe?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Overall easier courses that are closer in set up to what the average member/retail golfer plays than European Tour venues

The link Mendie gave shows set ups (green speed, course and rough length pretty close to ET event standards so maybe a bit in that but kinda leaves us with 'easier courses' being the main contributor then?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Might also be something to do with the quality of the field as well???

Only courses ive played that have held either of those comps has been Moray (EP)and Castle Stuart (ET)and i don't think there was much difference on either from normal condition maybe the greens were a bit faster, but not by much. Also pit positions are are bit harder as well maybe?

How do you mean?

Surely a 65 is a 65 regardless of who's in the field, or do you mean doing it on a bigger stage? (Although my example player has twice as many ET events this year so its not a new experience of 'shock & awe')

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you mean?

Surely a 65 is a 65 regardless of who's in the field, or do you mean doing it on a bigger stage? (Although my example player has twice as many ET events this year so its not a new experience of 'shock & awe')

my view is that the people that compete and win on the challenge tour wont be there for very long.

Same with Europro. most are nothing better than a scratch club golfer and will never compete.

My mate who is on challenge tour this year (will struggle to stay there the way he is doing) said that its estimated that you will spend £20-25k in expenses during a season. so outside of the top 50 on the tour, you are losing money