Casual water question

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was playing in an interclub match today, my opponent tried to claim she was in casual water as when she pressed her foot close to her ball, she brought up a little bit of moisture. I said no you need to be able to see it not try to raise it with pressure. It didn't matter as she won the hole but who was correct?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
did it not show when she took her stance?if it was there then it would seem a justifyable request but if it was artficially manufactured with excess force than no relief.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you have to press your feet down harder than you would when settling behind the ball then you don't get it.
If normal pressure brings water up then you do..

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't really understand the stance bit, she was trying to raise it before she took up her stance.

“Casual water’’ is any temporary accumulation of water on the course that is not in a water hazard and is visible before or after the player takes his stance."

that's the stance bit

as pbrown points out, jumping up and down to make the water visible isn't an option. it has to be visible when taking a natural stance.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
but you get relief from casual water if it affects your ball or stance, so even if the ball is dry and you are standing in a puddle you can claim relief hence why she was trying to prove the exsistence of the water, sounds it was debatable so dodgy lie?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
great win that! everything in your game working well then?

she knew the rule and sometimes the rules can help you. infact it was a bit of sharp thinking to get herself out of the divot problem.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
not too bad Gary, mid irons are still iffy. I persuaded her that she couldn't have relief, because she had forced water to appear.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
not too bad Gary, mid irons are still iffy. I persuaded her that she couldn't have relief, because she had forced water to appear.

Wow - I bet that went down well! I tend to err on the side of being fair (kind) and if in doubt allow the relief as that's what I'd expect.